tips for preparing for muskie season!
lambeau
Posted 3/3/2006 7:35 AM (#180630)
Subject: tips for preparing for muskie season!

now that March is on us and the water will be soft soon...

what are you doing to prepare yourself and your equipment for fishing season?

share your tips and tricks here!
Muskydr
Posted 3/3/2006 7:47 AM (#180632 - in reply to #180630)
Subject: RE: tips for preparing for muskie season!

Took the reels in early in the winter for cleaning, have super fine grit sandpaper for cleaning the scum off the rods, been sharpening hooks as the winter moves along, batteries have been cared for and are fully charged, hmmmmm............... I'm ready!!!!!!
Sponge
Posted 3/3/2006 8:04 AM (#180633 - in reply to #180630)

I'll probably do Halloween early this year and go trick er treating at the V.A. pharmacy in order to endure the ravages of casting and elderlyitis. Since I live basically a spartan lifestyle, most of me prep invloves mental imaging in a puzzle manner. I have found on occasion that no prep is needed, just show up; creativity then is at its finest...

When the moon is at it's 7th hour, and Jupiter, aligns w/ Mars, part of the plan!
BenR
Posted 3/3/2006 8:08 AM (#180634 - in reply to #180630)

I have been working out quite a bit...as I am not as young as I used to be and these darn baits just keep getting bigger...Ben
ESOX Maniac
Posted 3/3/2006 8:10 AM (#180635 - in reply to #180630)

Sharpening hooks, tuning lures for bouyancy, pinching down barb's on the new stuff, changing out the split rings on the new large Zam's (I don't like them) If you bought any of the new 22cm/8.7" Zam's at the Madison Fishing Expo, send me an Email with your name & mailing address with the color pattern and quanity and I will send you replacement's.

Next are rod's & reels, then the boat is last. Also reading a lot of past articles by Larry Ramsell, Doug Johnson, Pete Mania, especially Dick Pearson's book for the ~10th time, Jason Long's articles ~ 4th time. These should be required reading for anyone serious about reducing their learning curve. Some real great stuff.

Have fun!
Al
Stan Durst 1
Posted 3/3/2006 8:38 AM (#180638 - in reply to #180630)

Al.
Have trying to reach you by email.
sworrall
Posted 3/3/2006 9:02 AM (#180643 - in reply to #180638)

I find that Sponger's plan is good, just show up and hope. New line, lube the reels, make sure the Frabill isn't still in the garage, and tie on a shiny new leader. Perka time!
JohnMD
Posted 3/3/2006 9:18 AM (#180649 - in reply to #180630)

Tackle is in fine shape, The Boat & Trailer goes in next week,

Trailer - New Bearings, Five years old and many miles it's time

Motor - Oil / Filter Change, Lower unit Oil Change, New Spark Plugs, Lube Steering Cable, Check tilt & trim oil.

Boat - Tighten up screws, nuts & bolts, Clean & wax, Clean Carpet & Seats, Install new Ipod ready Stereo, Install new color GPS

Is It Time Yet ?

Gander Mt Guide
Posted 3/3/2006 10:28 AM (#180658 - in reply to #180630)

First you fillet the "Y" bones, then you take your fillets and place them in a bowl of milk. Let them set for about an hour or so. Then what I do for seasoning is this.....Flower, Salt, lemon pepper and a hint of garlic powder.....Mix in a bowl. Add milk to a couple of eggs, beat, place fillets in the wash, then cover them with the seasoning.....the real key to preparing fillets is using butter for frying.........Ooooo Soooo Good.
Shep
Posted 3/3/2006 10:34 AM (#180659 - in reply to #180658)

Sell the boat. Order new boat. Buy accessories for new boat. Rig new boat. Break in new boat. Fish a few eye tourney's. Get new Fig Rigs ready. Take new boat to Pewaukee for the opener. Then.....

Just Fish!

Edited by Shep 3/3/2006 10:34 AM
happy hooker
Posted 3/3/2006 10:45 AM (#180662 - in reply to #180630)

enrolled in an anger management class has preperation for the time Ill spend on north end of Mille Lacs
Ranger
Posted 3/3/2006 11:20 AM (#180664 - in reply to #180630)

1) break down, clean and relube all reels

2) "flip the line" on the reels (all reels got new line last season, so I'll flip the line this season and the replace all line again next season)

3) wipe rods down with WD40 before putting the reels back on

4) sharpen all hooks, paint bare metal with Sharpie pen (many hours in front of the tv with this step)

5) make up a bunch of flouro and straight wire leaders, crimp some sevenstrand on a few jigs

6) replace plugs, clean fuel filter and check lower unit lube level on my thundering 15hp merc

7) use fresh gas to clean out fuel tank, hose and extra gas can

8) remove, check and repack trailer bearings (replace them if necessray) (I replace tires every other year)

9) tighten all bolts/screws on boat, trailer and hitch

10) cut and reattach those electrical connects that are most prone to corrosion and problems (including a careful check of the trailer harness)

11) restock the boat's first aid kit and ensure fish release tools are velcroed in place

12) restock the tools/supplies I take along wherever I go (like extra trailer lights, bulbs for boat lights, trailer bearings, spare plugs, a small reel maintenance kit, etc)

13) check the transducer and clean/lube that little boat speed paddle wheel

14) scrub out the rod case to get rid of any debris that could get into the nice clean reels during transport

15) power wash the boat and trailer

16) relube the trailer jack and winch

17) consider again how stupid those Grateful Dead stickers look on my boat, truck and trailer, but leave them on anyway 'cause they're a reflection of who I am

hmmmmm, I better get busy
MuskyHopeful
Posted 3/3/2006 12:27 PM (#180673 - in reply to #180630)

I am reassessing and tightening the plan parameters. It has become maze like in its complexity. Final equipment acquisition remains a high priority. Inventory and cataloging of previous purchases must be completed. Mike Koepp early season guide dates have been set. Early season non-guide time on the water requires more organization. Full blown incubation of untreatable musky fishing virus within best friend and boat owning friend is underway, and may require beer/liquor purchases and complex food preparation to assure its success. MuskieFirst Rhinelander Outing lurks on the periphery of the plan, and its presence must be addressed with wife in the near term. Networking, research, weight loss, reduction of tobacco use, etc., are ongoing and will continue beyond early season fishing. The plan always moves forward, it never retreats.

Kevin

I am currently lost within my own plan.
dogboy
Posted 3/3/2006 12:48 PM (#180678 - in reply to #180630)

I am still on the "putting on the winter coat kick" drinking heavilly and eating venison has been just about all I do, no sturgeon this year so to hell with the ice.
I wait until I walk outside one day and boooommmm, the smell hits you so hard. spring is here.
Thats when I start the mad rush of preparing, I love the frenzy and excitement, after a weekend I have everything ready, then I look at the calendar and its still only march 27th. WTF
Maybe this year I go slow and methodical.
tuffy1
Posted 3/3/2006 1:35 PM (#180684 - in reply to #180630)

Kevin, your plan rocks! I always enjoy reading your adaptations.

My plan is to plan to have a few beers with you at the Waterfront after one of your post outing debriefs (and please, keep the briefs on during the debriefs). Anywho, let me know when you and Koepp are hitting the drink, and I'll stop by to hear about the days work. Good luck to ya!!!!

Oh yeah, and if Mike's not putting you on fish, tell him to give me a call, and I'll tell him where to go.

Edited by tuffy1 3/3/2006 1:37 PM
mikie
Posted 3/3/2006 1:46 PM (#180687 - in reply to #180630)

Gelcoat repair and waxed the entire big boat.
Installed a new troller on the small boat, repaired that pesky leak in the livewell pump by removing the dang thing.
Made a new bait box for the small boat.

And now, a week before I officially begin my 'season', I'm re-re-re-reading Muskies on the Shield.
And, wishing you all a good one. m
jonnysled
Posted 3/3/2006 3:41 PM (#180704 - in reply to #180630)

- i gotta strip and replace my keel protector (spent it on the mani last year)
- reels were done and put away already
- line is good
- prepare and organize terminal tackle
- make sure the 5 baits that actually get fished are in good shape
- organize first-aide kit
- check condition on all batteries
- get the sundries organized (batteries, flashlights, qbeams, sunscrean, bug dope etc ...)
- check rod line guides (i've got kids LOL)
- remove electronics and replace with new (yippeeeeeeee !!!!)
- learn how to use new electronics ugh
jerryb
Posted 3/3/2006 10:50 PM (#180738 - in reply to #180630)

The best way I have found for preparing is to just don't stop fishing, My customers and I have landed 250+ browns in the last month. They don't smell as good as muskie but these things fight way harder! Have a happy 06!

Jerry Borst
Spoonplugger/Instructor

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(3hoss3206.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 3hoss3206.jpg (36KB - 92 downloads)
muskynightmare
Posted 3/3/2006 11:48 PM (#180745 - in reply to #180630)

Find a derned Esox mag in my price range that the bank will finance!
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tcbetka
Posted 3/4/2006 10:37 AM (#180773 - in reply to #180630)

1) Have new SS Bimini top (with bow dodger), front curtain, side curtains & aft curtain made for boat. She will be an all-weather machine.

2) Re-rig electrical system: install deep cycle house battery and electronics bus; parallel charging (ACR) relay, CD player and VHF radio.

3) Install trolling rails and start acquiring trolling rods, reels and rod holders.

4) Scope out kicker motor mounting system in preparation for kicker motor installation.

5) Need additional electronics--looking at Garmin 3006 or 3010 for weather capabilities, and as another sonar (have a 178C now).

6) Build an on-board first aid kit--has anyone else thought of this? In my job I have access to lidocaine and suture material, in the event of an "angler hook-up."

She will be a trolling machine come June boys...

TB
ESOX Maniac
Posted 3/4/2006 11:09 AM (#180777 - in reply to #180773)

TB- Todd Forcier came up with a kick butt first aid kit for fisherman. see this thread->

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=22...

Definitely one of those must have's in the boat.

Have fun!
tcbetka
Posted 3/4/2006 12:58 PM (#180783 - in reply to #180630)

I have one pretty much like that one, along with some extra goodies thrown in there. Lidocaine, sutures, scissors, needle driver etc. Minor surgery? No problem!

But that thread was pretty neat. In my old job I used to extract hooks from guys like in that one picture--though I never had to remove one from someone's face! Ah the good ole' days...

TB