Jig/Creature Questions
Ranger
Posted 2/27/2006 8:55 AM (#179846)
Subject: Jig/Creature Questions

Would some of you jig/creature guys describe how you set up your leaders? Also, what's your rod and reel set ups for jigs?

I use 30" of 65# sevenstrand crimped to the jig on one side and to a 100# Berkley swivel on the other. I also use a custom made heavy action (bass) flippin stick with an Abu 4500 spooled with 30# PowerPro. I use this set up only for the jig/creature presentation and it works pretty good but I've never been happy with how a baitcaster feels when fishing a jig.

I'm considering moving to a dedicated spinning rod/reel for the jig/creatuire presentation. It seems a spinning rig would feel so much better for working a jig. I can probably use my Shimano Spheros 3000FA spinning reel from my steelhead rig but I would need to get a proper spinning rod. Would you recommend a particular spinning rod for jig/creatures? (I can't spend more than $120 or so on the rod.)

THANKS!
sworrall
Posted 2/27/2006 9:24 AM (#179851 - in reply to #179846)
Subject: RE: Jig/Creature Questions

Drop the leader length back to about 12", no need to have one any longer. Use a medium heavy7' spinning rod that is listed for 17# line or at least and ounce and a half lure, and use 14 to 17# mono, not superline. The mono is more forgiving, and does a great job on spinning outfits spooling and casting. The reel needs to be FAST, not large. There are so many top quality spinning reels on the market today, it's tough to say which is 'best'. Choose one that feels good to you, and make sure it has a rear drag adjustment knob. The rod should balance perfectly when you place it on your finger on the middle of the foregrip, that's where you hold a spining rod anyway.
dogboy
Posted 2/27/2006 11:24 AM (#179864 - in reply to #179846)

I use 65lb single strand wire, directly to the jig with a haywire twist, finished off with about 5-6 tight wraps. I like to use a 7 1\2 ft med bucktail rod a little on the stiffer end, abu garcia c3 has gotten me by spooled with 65lb stealth. I fish a jig just like you were pitchin for bass with tubes(like they do on bassmaster,I don't bass fish though).
I keep my rod tip at about 3oclock and pump and reel jig\creature in, occasionally letting jig drop. they like the drop.
This setup has been quite comfortable for me, but thats just me though.
Beaver
Posted 2/27/2006 12:01 PM (#179869 - in reply to #179846)

I use spinning and baitcasting both. Acually both rigs could be, and have been, used as bass rods.
I use rods out of the St Croix In-Shore series. They were made for redfish, snook, permit.....and muskies!
I use 8 footers, extra heavy/extra fast is the rating, but don't let the exrta heavy fool you, there is nothing action wise or weight wise that makes them heavy. On the spinning rig I am running a Daiwa SS1300 spooled with 14# Stren. The baitcaster is a Quantum spooled with 17# Stren. I use Sevenstrand leaders that are 12"-18" that are crimped to the eye of the jighead leaving a loop about the size of a pencil. I use a Berkley swivel on the other end. All my jigs are pre-leadered, meaning that they all have their own leader permanently attached to them. I use swimming jig heads that are 1/4-3/8 oz. with wide gap hooks on the spinning gear, and usually use Creatures or 6" waterdogs or even some of the new bass style creatures that have part lizardparttubepartotherthingsstickingoutallovertheplaceandsomewings. I'll also use 6" shads on both set-ups. My baitcaster I use with a 1/2 ounce Chompers weedless jighead tipped with anything that I want. I use it to target isolated weed clumps or holes in milfoil. Both are great throwback options. Flippin' and pitchin' isn't just for bass fishermen. I enjoy being the back of the boat guy when we are running along a lillypad edge, or a milfoil edge. I let the guy in front target the edge and then I hit the pockets and clumps as we go past.
Beav
muskyboy
Posted 2/27/2006 1:11 PM (#179882 - in reply to #179846)

I have the Shimano Compre 7 foot musky spinning rod and Shimano Sahara 400 spinning reel spooled with 30 pound mono and I use a 60 pound flouro leader for an ultra stealthy approach to jig/creatures, small spinnerbaits, rattle baits, small minnow baits and small cranks

Fish are a blast to fight with this set up, and I have more confidence in jigs/creatures thanks to Mr. Worrall
RobMyers
Posted 2/28/2006 2:36 PM (#180112 - in reply to #179846)

muskyboy,
You read my mind about the rod, the CPSM70MH is a great choice. I'm curious about line management though on the 4000 sized reel and 30# mono. No problems?
Rob
muskyboy
Posted 2/28/2006 3:10 PM (#180115 - in reply to #179846)

No problems
Ranger
Posted 2/28/2006 6:10 PM (#180147 - in reply to #179846)

Thanks for the info folks.
sworrall
Posted 2/28/2006 8:23 PM (#180169 - in reply to #180147)

Muskyboy,
Your line is WAY too heavy if you are really using 30#. No reason at all to go more than 17#, especially since the spinning reel drag and ability to back reel does alot of the work when a fish is hooked up. Switch to 17# and your ability to 'feel' the jig will increase and with that, so will your strike to catch ratio.
RAZE1
Posted 3/1/2006 12:20 AM (#180211 - in reply to #180169)

Shimano Sustain 5000/ Cabelas 7' Muskie spin

I used Cortland Spectron 35# all last season and I'm here to report that Sworrall's right about the mono! You'll miss alot of fish due to the lack of stretch with braids, at least with his technique! They grab the jig and feel resistance then spit instantly. Hard to describe, but my reel just felt like it locked up. A couple of times I was in shallow (3') and it felt like my jig hit a rock, till I saw the fish's boil on the surface. BTW, I missed 3 really big muskies....

And I'm still thinkin if I modify this technique and bring my rod tip up and away from the direction of the bait it might give the fish a little slack line to work with...

I really like this new Esox Cobra Head 1 1/2 oz w 8/0 hook I got at the show

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_...
It's the very last rod at the bottom of the page,,,on sale too

Edited by RAZE1 3/1/2006 12:31 AM