Lure Swap for Blaine Show
josh_borovsky
Posted 2/21/2006 9:57 PM (#178722)
Subject: Lure Swap for Blaine Show

Hello,

I need everyone's feedback in order to finalize this thing. Please post your feedback.

The lure swap for the Minnesota Muskie Expo will be at the Blainbrook Entertainment Center this year. There will be more room for all of us and more fun things to do including bowling.

I have decided to use the lure swap as a way to raise some more money for the Oberfoell family. Here's how it will work:

Those who want to attend the lure swap can purchase a wristband for the event. The wristband will get you free beer and pizza for a couple hours. I was originally planning on doing a silent auction at the event as well. However, I see muskiefirst has a good one going so I may just donate my items to that. I could also give them away as door prizes for buying a wrist band. (Let me know what you think on that.)

I am trying to determine what a fair price would be for a wrist band. Keep in mind I have to cover the expense of the beer and pizza for 100 plus people. The facility is willing to give me a reduced price on the beer and it sounds like they will donate a few pizzas as well. They also said they are open to other pizza places (ie. dominoes, pizza hut etc.) donating pizzas and bringing them in. So if anybody has got pizza connections in the Blaine area let me know.

What do you guys think is a fair price to charge for wrist bands. Does 12-15 dollars sound reasonable? Keep in mind I am trying to determine the best price to maximize profit. If I go too high less people will attend. (All profits from the event will go directly to Adam Oberfoell.)

Let me know your thoughts. Be honest.

Thanks.

- Josh
Troyz.
Posted 2/22/2006 7:03 AM (#178763 - in reply to #178722)
Subject: RE: Lure Swap for Blaine Show

What about $20 for the wristband if drinking beer, $3.50 a beer in MN=5 beers=$17.50+pizza
$10 for a wristband if they do not want the beer and just the swap and pizza
$5 for a wristband just to attend the event.

Remember all profits from the event will goe for the Oberfoell family. Lets get some feedback from the people who are going to attend the Blaine show. Anyone intereseted in a silent auction on items at this event?

Troyz
bfitzel
Posted 2/22/2006 7:28 AM (#178769 - in reply to #178722)

Troy has it right on! I will pass the word. I am also a part of the police force in Blaine and will be at the show for both (Muskie Barge Co.) and probably working the show and area.

Great cause, anything to help out a fellow angler!!!

Thanks Bucktail Ben!
Pepper
Posted 2/22/2006 8:02 AM (#178787 - in reply to #178722)

Josh a very worthwhile idea and a good cause. You should check the liability aspects of selling wristbands that allow the wearer to have unlimited beer. In the unlikely event someone drinks to much and goes out on the highway and causes and accident you could be held responsible. I would discuss this matter with legal counsel in Mn. who is famailiar with dram shop law and social host law. Just a thought GoodLuck
happy hooker
Posted 2/22/2006 8:31 AM (#178792 - in reply to #178722)

Just so everybody knows this will "REPLACE" the lure swap we usually have at Be Bops,,,Josh had a great idea for a great cause
BigMo
Posted 2/22/2006 8:42 AM (#178794 - in reply to #178722)

Now I'm really going to try make it to Blaine.....first # that came to mind was $20.

But TroyZ makes a good point about different bands for different levels of eats/drinks. You'd want to keep different people happy and honest with what they paid for but not get too complicated.

Safe to say I'd go for the "all inclusive" package.
GMan
Posted 2/22/2006 9:54 AM (#178818 - in reply to #178722)

Josh, for some of us living in caves, what happened to the Oberfoell family and who are they? Sometimes the average guy feels inundated with charity auctions and requests, so you need to personalize this one and get the word out on the who and why a little more. Many people will come becasue its the place to be; others will balk at the price on top of their admission to the Expo, etc., so you need to overcome that with the "good feeling" and the notion we'd all pay $20 or more for beer and food that eveneing anyway...why not benefit a good cause!
Troyz.
Posted 2/22/2006 10:19 AM (#178823 - in reply to #178722)

Gary

I just broght the post to the top about the Oberfoell situation

Troyz
happy hooker
Posted 2/22/2006 11:34 AM (#178841 - in reply to #178722)

$20 is too cheap,,,,pizza, Beer, Bowling,,what more in life "IS" there???
mm12463
Posted 2/22/2006 12:23 PM (#178850 - in reply to #178841)

$20 would be fine for something like beer and pizza and a little fund raiser.

What about that boat you guys won in the PMTT - you could have an auction for that. I'll go $100. =)

What else 'IS' there? Nookie comes to mind.

Edited by mm12463 2/22/2006 12:24 PM
Luke_Chinewalker
Posted 2/22/2006 12:37 PM (#178851 - in reply to #178722)

If you learn based on what the poster above said, that you shouldn't use any wrist bands or other idenfication on the person's body that the police might see, perhaps all you need to do is handout cups with something markered on them at the door? As for controling pizza consumption, perhaps you can just put a sign up on the pizza table that notifies people the pizza is not free, requesting a donation for the fundraiser?

We did a pool demo last year in IL and the chapter provided free pizzas to drive attendance. My numbers may be a little off here but I think there were about 70 people in attendance and they ate more than 35 pizza's! They were not the little pizza's that MN people call Large either. I fear for you selling the pizza as all you can eat with hopes of making a profit. If pizza was discounted to $10 each and two people can destroy one, that's $5 each. Since Brad and Troy are going to be there you can ratchet up the average beers per person to 6. Can you make money based on this?

Troyz.
Posted 2/22/2006 1:35 PM (#178864 - in reply to #178722)

Joe

The pizza will be a while it last thing, we are going to approach the local pizzeria's, and sub shops with the situation and try to get as much donated as possible, then purchase the rest at a discount.

As far as beer, talking with Josh, Blainbrook will be the responsible party on this, the wrist band will identify your level of service. The event will be held separate room, there will be plenty of space this year. The band will show that you have paid admittance and are of age and the Blainbrook bartender will be serving you your drinks. The bill will based on the number of glasses served. So everytime you get a beer you will be served by the Blainbrook, and running a tab. Thus they will have the responsibility of over serving God forbid that ever happens. Norm, Hooks said bring a extra shirt.

Thanks

Troyz
B420
Posted 2/22/2006 1:48 PM (#178868 - in reply to #178722)

I see a potential lawsuit if you dont' lock the Windsor up from TroyZ!
KOMER

Edited by B420 2/22/2006 1:49 PM
d2bucktail
Posted 2/22/2006 1:54 PM (#178871 - in reply to #178818)

Can someone help gman and me and others... what happened to the Oberfoell family and who are they?

D2Bucktail
Troyz.
Posted 2/22/2006 1:59 PM (#178873 - in reply to #178722)

D2bucktail

It is under the post Baby Mason Needs Your Prayers, it toward the bottom of the page

Troyz

Josh_Borovsky
Posted 2/22/2006 9:53 PM (#179023 - in reply to #178722)

Here is the information about the Oberfoell family some of you were asking about. . . .

It is with a heavy heart that I wanted to let you know that little Mason Oberfoell passed away this morning, February 20th in his Mom's and Dad's arms. Thank you all for your prayers and contributions. The muske community is a generous and thoughtful bunch. Little Mason is in a place now free of any pain and full of God's love.

Little Mason Oberfoell, the son of Adam and Cheri Oberfoell has been through quite a battle the last 6 months...for his life. Born 15 weeks early, Mason has put up an incredible fight since his 1lb 8 oz body was born into this world.
Besides his family, Adam's number one passion is muskie fishing, and is a fellow Capital City Muskies Inc, member. I was in the boat with Adam and his Dad on Lake Vermilion the day he found out that Mason was going to be delivered almost 4 months early. Imagine being 8 hours away from your family in a time like this. The family could use some prayers during this time. There is also a fundraiser in Dubuque, IA on April 1st. Additionally, the Oberfoell's family has also instituted a great idea- a cookbook of recipes from friends and family for $15.00 and all proceeds go to Mason. As many of today's medical treatments are not covered, any help would be appreciated.

Benefit for Baby Mason Oberfoell

Date: Saturday April 1, 2006
TIME: 2-10 PM, Live Auction at 4:00
Peosta IA 52068

Food, Music, Raffles, Silent Auction

The Story:
Mason was born 15 weeks premature weighing 1 LB. 8 OZ. on August 17, 2005. He has many medical complications including a hole in his heart, pneumonia, cysts on his brain, and chronic lung disease. Mason was finally able to come home after being hospitalized for 4 ½ months. He came home on oxygen, a monitor, feeding tube and several medications. After only two days of being at home, he stopped breathing. He was immediately rushed to the hospital. Due to the use of the medications to keep him alive, he lost circulation in his left leg and has 3rd degree burns on his right leg. Mason had to have his left leg amputated below the knee and the toes amputated on his right foot. He had another surgery today to fix a block in his intestines, and a brain scan today has revealed more damage than anticipated where more unpaid medical expenses may arise in a facility.

The Contact Info:
There is a special cookbook available for a $15 donation. All donations would be greatly appreciated. The young family has many medical expenses. Anyone wishing to make donations, purchase cook books, possibly donate items for the silent auction, to help this young family. Please contact his aunt Robin Breiner, at [email protected]
Also donations and cook book purchases can be made at the above email Or Thru pay pal to [email protected] just make the subject “baby mason” or “baby mason cookbook" or "raffle tickets" put you personal info in the comment box for the tickets to be filled out and be sent to you.

I have read other threads of fellow muskiefisherman in need of prayers and the like. I hope you have a prayer left for my friend too.

GotOne

Checks can also be sent payable to Adam Oberfoell or Mason Cookbook

mail to:
Baby Mason C.O.
Robin Breiner
14545 Graf Rd.
Durango IA 52039

Josh_Borovsky
Posted 2/22/2006 10:04 PM (#179027 - in reply to #178722)

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming. Thanks to those of you who pointed out the potential liability concerns. I have discussed that with the facility and they will be the responsible party. As Troy said a bartender will be carding and serving not me. I will look into the mulitple wrist band thing. (We would have to use different wrist bands for each option as the facililty uses the wrist bands to identify who has access to the beer.) I will check with the facility tomorrow.

The hard part about this is not knowing how many people to expect. I am guessing 75-100 people as a ballpark estimate. Let me know what you think on the silent auction versus the door prize deal as well. Thanks.

- Josh
Steven Cady
Posted 2/22/2006 10:14 PM (#179031 - in reply to #178722)

Darn it they have a baseball field behind that place don't they?

Josh,

I will donate a 6 pack of Jailbaits and some bucktails to this as well for the auction/door prizes. Let me know if I can do anything else.

Steve Cady
651-399-6559
josh borovsky
Posted 2/28/2006 9:45 PM (#180190 - in reply to #178722)

Hi Guys,

Here's the update. I had made all of my arrangements for the swap with the events coordinator at Blainbrook. On Sunday, I went out to tour the facility and make sure it would meet our needs. While the facility was large. The space they had reserved for our group was not adequate. They could not allocate anymore space for our group.

I made the decision to look for other venues. Eventually, I was able to find something that would work for us. Ironically, that place is Bee Bops where we usually have the swap anyway.

The owner worked out a deal with me on beer and pizza. I will post the details under a new thread.