Looking for a better downrigger rack..any advise

Posted 2/2/2002 10:24 AM (#540)
Subject: Looking for a better downrigger rack..any advise

The homemade cedar downrigger rack I made last year on the back of my Tuffy was not the strongest in the world. I had to make many adjustments as the season went on...Does anyone know who or where I guy can find one that is adjustable and fits Cannon downriggers.

Posted 2/2/2002 10:55 AM (#20967)

Hi Jason,

What exactly are you talking about? Is it like a 2 x 6 that you attached your riggers to?

I used to have my riggers mounted that way. Have you considered using aluminum or stainless steel? I got rid of the whole bar across the boat to make more room.

Where do you salmon fish? Lake Michigan? For me it's Georgian Bay, you can eat the fish from there.

Do you ever use Lyman baits?

Cheers,

J.P.

Posted 2/2/2002 11:01 AM (#20968)

If you got rid of the whole bar across the back.. how do you make them sturdy?

Yes I fish Lake Michigan out of the Milwaukee harbor on weekend mornings. I later fish muskies in the evenings.

I use mostly Michigan stinger and Pro king spoons.

I can eat the fish too.. and they are very good....Smoked and Grilled.

Posted 2/2/2002 12:56 PM (#20969)

Jason, Bert's Custom Tackle makes downrigger plates and bars that span across the back of the boat. My dad and I use their rod holder plates and they work very well. I believe the website address is: www.bertscustomtackle.com

Mike Curto

Posted 2/2/2002 1:06 PM (#20970)

Jason,

My friends who made up brackets use a stainless steel bracket. It is v shaped with a small flange on each end. If you've seen those little shelf support clips that fit into a long metal strip. They look very similar, only much larger of course.

I drew you a picture, but couldn't send it because it's a bitmap. My laptop doesn't have any conversion software on it. I can create another picture and send it later if you need.

I'm making a bunch of salmon baits (and muskie one too!), so I'll send one along to you when they're done. It'll probably be a while though.

Cheers,

J.P.

Posted 2/3/2002 4:20 PM (#20971)

Jason,

Scotty's? Might work, but worth a look. http://www.scottyusa.com/mountingboard.html

Shep

Posted 2/6/2002 5:10 PM (#20972)

Hey Jason,

I've got a cannon electric downrigger with a swivel base and twin rod holders I'm trying to get rid of. I would concider a muskie setup in trade. Email me @ [email protected] if your interested.

Shawn

Posted 2/6/2002 8:12 PM (#20973)

Thanks for the help... you guys got my wheels turning on some ideas.[:bigsmile:]

Posted 2/7/2002 9:37 AM (#20974)

The Cannon one's in Cabela's looked good.

Posted 2/8/2002 10:12 AM (#20975)

Jason,

Found another one.

http://www.captgarys.com/cgi-bin/checkitout/checkitout.cgi?captgary...

There is a 96" and a 10' version. I've seen the 10' version on Erie, very strong and stable. The guy had at least 8 downriggers on it, plus some extra rod holders.

I'll bring a catalog to the show today.

Tight Lines,

Shep

Posted 2/10/2002 1:25 PM (#20976)

Jason take A look at page 8 of the Feb/Mar issue of Musky Hunter.

Dave Jackley

Posted 2/11/2002 6:50 PM (#20977)

Thanks a ton for the help guys.....My wheels are turning.[;)]
willeysbucktails
Posted 2/20/2007 7:03 AM (#240221 - in reply to #540)
Subject: RE: Looking for a better downrigger rack..any advise

www.titelok.com
The Nate
Posted 3/1/2007 8:26 AM (#242238 - in reply to #540)
Subject: Re: Looking for a better downrigger rack..any advise

I'll throw in a second vote for Bert's Custome Tackle. While I don't own one of thier downrigger racks, I do have one of their track systems with riser trees and rod holder mounts. I mounted these just before the splashwell on my tuffy and they work great. I have been looking into their downrigger mounts as I had some ideas for downrigger uses on a particular area lake, and from what I had seen they seem to be extremly durable and easy to use.