Why you choose the rod(s) you buy
VMS
Posted 12/11/2005 7:40 PM (#168434)
Subject: Why you choose the rod(s) you buy

I am always curious of how much money we spend on fishing equipment. This question is a bit more pointed though at rods. When you choose a rod, what do you base it on once you have decided what "type" of rod you need/want for jerkbaits, bucktails etc? Do you go just with a specific brand, or is there something more? For example, I know of some people who strictly buy St. Croix rods because they are so popular.

Steve

MACK
Posted 12/11/2005 8:13 PM (#168436 - in reply to #168434)
Subject: RE: Why you choose the rod(s) you buy

Being I'm really harsh on equipment and I have really bad luck breaking a lot of equipment...I stick with what's readily available. I'd love to sink some money into custom built rods...but...I just couldn't imagine the heartache and frustration I'd go through if I broke or lost a custom built rod. So...I stick to what's readily available should I need to replace them, ie, Gander Mtn Muskie Rods and St. Croix. I used to be a big All Star fan..but..they've stopped making muskie rods. Bummer...
esox50
Posted 12/11/2005 9:35 PM (#168447 - in reply to #168434)

When I started out, I just went by what people told me. Eventually, I decided to do some "exploring" myself and found the rod I was most comfortable with. I tested some rod under $100, some just over, some up $100s, and a few over $200. I really like the Fenwick HMGs, not the top of the line models, AS WELL AS my Fig Rigs and St. Croix. For some reason, the Fenwick just "feels" good in my hands, even though it may not be as "high quality" as the other brands.

In terms of length and action, I decide what the new rod will be doing. For example, I'm not going to buy a medium power rod for throwing 10" Jakes and Bulldawgs, much less topwater. If I'm going for an all purpose rod, I'm looking for MH, 7'6", and lure weight rating of 3/4-3 or 1-4 ounces. A bucktail/small-med crank I'm looking for slightly lighter power, say medium, 1/2-2 oz. lure weight rating, and a long blank ~ 7'6"-8'. Topwater, twitching, and spinnerbaits get a MH, 7'6"-8', 3/4-3 oz. lure weight rating (similar to what I look for in an "all purpose" rod).
muskynightmare
Posted 12/11/2005 10:31 PM (#168456 - in reply to #168434)

I could tell you what body part of mine that a rod has to feel like in my hands, but my reply would be ZAPPED. This one probably will. LOL. You want your rod to feel like a natural extension of yourself. The more it feels right, the more confidence you will have. The more confidence you will have will equal your success. I have a $60.00 Cortland Bucktail stick, and it's the best bucktail stick I've ever owned.
Pointerpride102
Posted 12/11/2005 11:36 PM (#168463 - in reply to #168434)

I like the lighter rods, like the st. croix's and gloomis. I just got a gloomis and it is a really nice rod. I guess I am rather partial to gloomis as I have their fish logo tattoo'd to my arm!!

Mike
ESOX Maniac
Posted 12/12/2005 7:37 AM (#168471 - in reply to #168434)

A close friend who is an ardent G loomis fan gave me a 6' 6" G-Loomis jerk bait rod for Christmas (yeah, I know - that's a very good friend). I use it to throw the larger Zalts and larger Aliens. I love that rod- Last Spring I picked up a 7' 6" G Loomis for Zam's & 6" Aliens, bucktails etc. I suppose the next step is going to be an 8' r. Maybe I should try a St. Croix this time- but I really like the G Loomis's. Santa can you hear me now?

Have fun!
Al
Gander Mt Guide
Posted 12/12/2005 8:09 AM (#168473 - in reply to #168434)

Specific purposes. Bucktails, small stuff, big gliders, top waters....I'm in a pretty lucky position, I can try different sticks at a pretty decent discount, so if I like one, I stay with it, if not, I sell it. Here's my aresenal..

6-0 Premier
6-0 Avid
6-6 Premier, Tooth Tamer
6-9 Avid, GS
6-10 Premier
7-0 Avid, Premier, Tooth Tamer
7-6 Premier, Avid
8-0 Premier, GS

So it looks like St.Croix, Fig Rig and Guide Series for me...all have done me well, no complaints as of yet. I really want a couple more Fig Rigs for this up coming season...still undecided as to what to get.

sworrall
Posted 12/12/2005 8:21 AM (#168476 - in reply to #168473)

I have several custom builds, a Fenwick, couple Shimanos, and a few old Auroras. I buy rods based on the feel, balance, action of the blank, handle length, and overall bang for the buck.
muskyboy
Posted 12/12/2005 9:23 AM (#168482 - in reply to #168434)

Rods are tools that need to match and handle what you are throwing. Here is what I use:

7'0" Shimano Compre Medium Heavy Musky Spinning rod for jigs and creatures
6'6" St. Croix Premier Medium Heavy rod for light bucktails and rattlin' shad size baits
6'9" St. Croix Premier Extra Heavy rod for suckers, Fuzzy Duzzits, and Bull Dawgs
8'0" and 7'2" Pete Maina Bass Pro Shop Extra Heavy rods for trolling (lighter baits on the long rod and heavier baits on the shorter rod)
Two 7'6" St. Croix Premier Extra Heavy rods for casting most everything
7'8" Frank's Custom Rods Diamondback for tossing my biggest cranks, gliders, and other baits

All these rods work great, given their price point. I have also used G Loomis rods and they are terrific
Steve J
Posted 12/12/2005 9:56 AM (#168490 - in reply to #168434)

I choose the rod based on a need.You can't throw and more importantly,WORK a particular bait without the right tool.I'm looking for,in my opinion,the best tool for the job.Lots of options in each category,by manufacturer as well as price point.For example, this Fall throwing the Innovations Pounders for 10hrs a day.HVY bucktail rods are too soft to work the bait and could explode on a cast or hookset.Shorter jerkbait rods will kill you physically.The rod has to be durable and considering I'm throwing a Tall Boy, weight isn't of the utmost importance.The rods of choice were built by Thorne Bros., using the 8' Avid blank.One was 8'4" and the other 8'9". Both have LONG handles(16") and are rocket launchers.I used some 8' Fig Rig Extremes this season for Mags and loved them.Great for the same application.It all comes down to the right tool for the job and the depth of ones pocketbook/addiction.I'm the wrong person to ask , because I've been addicted for 30 years and have been using customs for 20 of those.I'll be making my 1st this Winter,on the new 8' St.Croix Tournament blank.8'9" with a 16" handle, Fuji non-slip reel seat and Titanium SiC guides.Another LONG bucktail/topwater/10" Jake rod.I'll do all the work myself, including the wraps.Could take awhile.LOL.Gotta have fun with it. Steve
firstsixfeet
Posted 12/12/2005 10:12 AM (#168491 - in reply to #168434)

Action, durability, and I don't mind if they are cheap. I have picked up rods I didn't need at the time, because the price was right and they were available.

I want versatile rods, and all mine are 7 footers medium heavy or heavy group, and I throw any bait on any rod. I don't want to have to change rods just to change baits. Specialization is overrated imo, and would become self defeating in my boat because there are days when I have 3 or 4 jerkbaits ready to go, and when I go to WI I almost always have either 2 surface baits or 2 bucktails covering the 2 of the 3-4 rods I normally carry. So what am I going to do add another 2 specialty rods to cover those situations?
BenR
Posted 12/12/2005 10:39 AM (#168495 - in reply to #168434)

Over the past few years I have sold about 15 combos to purchase 4 for my own use. I have 3 custom diamondbacks and 1 special st. croix. The reason...I had back surgery about 4 years ago, and even though I am pretty much 100%...feel great...I have noticed that using top of the line equipment is MUCH easier on your body. Light rods that do much of the work for you. The extra money is well worth it...Ben
RICK'S ROD
Posted 12/12/2005 12:22 PM (#168508 - in reply to #168476)

Hi Mr Worrall,

You mentioned that you are using a couple of custom built rods. I was curious if any of those rods were the ones that I built for you. Let me know hold they held up for you. Any info on the rods would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick
dcates
Posted 12/12/2005 3:01 PM (#168520 - in reply to #168434)

I buy a rod to fill a need.  Given my height (6' 4") and the fact my casting deck is elevated more than most, I also look for length.  I had an 8' jerkbait rod (with an extra long handle) built by Frank's Custom Rods.  Best stick I own.  Next up is an 8' 6" buctail/minnow bait rod.  From Frank.
Ty Sennett
Posted 12/13/2005 9:55 AM (#168596 - in reply to #168434)

I use Thorne Bros. rods because they are light yet tied perfectly so as not to have any weak spots. They hold up very very well for myself and clients also. Plus with doing full day fishing trips, they let me fish comfortably all day.