Cheap but handy stuff?
firstsixfeet
Posted 12/6/2005 2:14 PM (#167804)
Subject: Cheap but handy stuff?

My suggestion for those of you who, like me, don't have truly DRY, dry storage, get the planter peanuts party size plastic jar, eat the peanuts and save the jar which has a screw on lid. Will hold point and shoot cameras, digital cameras, glasses, keep a hook file or map dry and with expoxy and a little string can easily be hung under the steering transom of your boat(if you have one).

I have problems with all these things being scattered around the bottom of the boat or under my feet and this is really a cheapo and useful fix. It has a wide top, I would guess 4.5 inches across.

BNelson
Posted 12/6/2005 2:21 PM (#167807 - in reply to #167804)
Subject: RE: Cheap but handy stuff?

-one of those butane lighters from a place like gander...works at fixing dawgs and plastics easier than a regular lighter.
-a disposable camera w/ flash in your boat at all times in a ziploc, when you forget your digital or the batteries go dead
-$30 tripod from target for when you are fishing alone and want a pic
-small propane heater for the days your fishing buddy doesn't have a sucker net and you stick your hands into 35 degree water...umm yah Spicoli!

Edited by MSKY HNR 12/6/2005 2:21 PM
sworrall
Posted 12/7/2005 11:15 AM (#167924 - in reply to #167807)

Another suggestion is a dry tote from Wally World or any other big box. They are gasketed, and have a very positive lock down, and are totally waterproof. Sue has two in her boat, whcih I screwed to the bulkheads to keep 'em in place and sealed the fastener with silicone sealant. Rain gear, cameras, maps, glasses, etc. Most have a removable top shelf, too, and cost about $15.
Netman
Posted 12/7/2005 11:54 AM (#167936 - in reply to #167804)

The new coffee plastic cans are great for dry storage and wet relief....
jerryb
Posted 12/7/2005 4:55 PM (#167982 - in reply to #167936)

It may be a couple of hundred bucks but a bimini top is a must have! Keeps you cool and or dry in the summer while trolling or a temporary "dry" retreat while casting. Also a good heavy duty lure retriever isn't a bad thing either
VMS
Posted 12/7/2005 6:04 PM (#168008 - in reply to #167804)

Got goofy one day and walked through the wally world shoe department.

I always keep my hook-out tools tied to the boat. Always seems that with northern pike, you need to have jaw spreaders, and if not tethered to the boat, one always seems to be swallowed by the lake. Used to use small rope, but found the girly curly shoe laces that look like telephone cords. Take two of them and tie together, tie your spreaders, hook-out, cutters etc. with these curly shoe laces and there is no messy lines to deal with. Once done, they curl right back up like a new telephone cord (they still make phones with them?).

Steve
The Yeti
Posted 12/8/2005 12:03 AM (#168043 - in reply to #167804)

i use a retractable dog leash with a carabeener on the then. it's zip tied to my lure bucket.
just hook the set of pliers up that you want on there, or the pliers and bolt cutters and voila.
Ranger (in danger)
Posted 12/8/2005 12:35 AM (#168045 - in reply to #168043)

A hardside container of gritty toothpaste. Just one will last for years. Best thing ever to wash your hands of gas/oil/smoke.
Posted 12/8/2005 11:00 AM (#168080 - in reply to #167804)

For release tools, I attach two of those soft boating key chains. Keeps the spreaders floating. Also purchase wrist lanyards and attach them to tools. Nice little leash to keep from dropping the cutters in the lake.