Thanks muskie fraternity....
Donnie3737
Posted 11/29/2005 9:06 PM (#166986)
Subject: Thanks muskie fraternity....

But I'd rather be in a sorority....ANYWAY, all kidding aside, please take this to heart!!

I wasn't sure how to start this thread...or even finish it for that matter, so I decided to just speak from my heart!

Exactly 20 years ago this month, I took my first muskie fishing adventure on Lake Monona in Madison, WI. Steve Herbeck guided me to a nice pike (38 1/2"er), and we saw 6 nice fish for the day. I remember this for one reason....my passion for this sport started that day!

Having competed in sports...football and baseball...since I was 6, made me a very competitive person. I graduated in 1985, blew out my knee, and couldn't play football any longer. I was angry, frustrated, and couldn't COMPETE ANY longer. Then, along came a guy by the name of Bruce Schwengal of Dorn's hardware, telling me about this fish called the "muskie." Having been born and raised in East LA, I'd never heard of it. He said it was the "king of Freshwater," and that if I caught one, and turned it into this club called Muskies Inc., I'd get points...POINTS...what a concept...competition!

WOW....I'd always lived my life to score points, so this was for ME! I attended the December meeting of Muskies Inc., where Steve was speaking that night. I was enthralled by the video and pictures Herbie had...I was hooked. Not only did I have a great time watching his presentation, but a man by the name of Kevin Wegner approached me, and mentioned his cousin went to the UW. That was where I went...we hit it off pretty good...today he is still one of my closest friends. Thanks Kevin Wegner for coming up and opening up your life to me. It has been a long, GREAT, friendship...sorry you lost that 55-56"er October 9th, 1994, and that 56-58"er September 4th of this year!!!

I started muskie fishing in a hard way in 1986. I wanted to get as many points as possible...and I did...I recieved the award for the largest release that year 45.5", but didn't succeed in my quest for Men's Division Chapter Champ. I knew next year would be my year...and it was! But, you know what? The trophy and plaque meant little, compared to the friendship's of Kevin Wegner, Mark Wegner, Kurt Wegner, Steve Herback, Rich Matzelle, Bill Wood, Kevin Greene, Gerard Hellenbrand, and the rest of the guys who took me under their wing at 19 years old. It was an awesome feeling! ;-)

As the years passed by, I became more and more obsessed. I loved fishing for muskies so much, I decided to buy Andy Myer's Lodge in 1993. I called Herbie at 3:05 a.m, October 5th, 1993, and said, "Herbie, wanna buy a fishin'g camp in Canada?" He replied with, "Yep...Yep...better than frying polaroids at 60..." Then he hung up! Since that time I've met and became close friends with a lot people. There are so many who have impacted my life, if I tried to name them, I'd forget one or two, and end up feeling bad....BUT, I need to point out to everyone just a few...Kevin Wegner has never , EVER said, "No, I can't help you"...he has always been there for me. My mentor and close friend, Steve Herbeck...it was never perfect, but he was also always there for me. Craig Eversoll has always wanted only the best for me, and the best for our friendship. Then there was Suick Rich Matzelle...he was a great role model of what I wanted to be some day! Lastly, my two favorite fishing buddies, Weston and Colton Hunt...my two son's...they are da bomb!! Thank you ALL!!!

Fast forward 12 years....I look at my closest friends...Kevin, Herbie, Craig, Rich, Weston, and Colton....I am the richest man alive, because I can call them FRIENDS.

This is where all of you MuskieFirster's come in...The love, committment, desire, friendship, ethics the muskie fraternity has is second to NONE! Thanks for allowing me to be part of such an awesome group of poeple!!

Sincerely,
Donnie Hunt

Edited by Donnie3737 11/29/2005 9:11 PM
esox50
Posted 11/29/2005 9:22 PM (#166989 - in reply to #166986)
Subject: RE: Thanks muskie fraternity....

Amen, Donnie!
MACK
Posted 11/29/2005 9:43 PM (#166994 - in reply to #166986)

Awesome post! Good story. I love reading and hearing those types of stories. :thumbsup:
MuskieMedic
Posted 11/29/2005 10:10 PM (#166997 - in reply to #166986)

I can certainly relate to you with the competitive nature. I played many sports too, especially hockey all the way through high school and beyond. I find it really fascinating how us muskie anglers have an instant bond with each other even if we have only met once. Since MuskieFirst started I have been a member and have fished with many different people, where else can you ask a total stranger to say hey.....let's hit the water for a day and see what happens. I have made many new friends and know that there will be many more.
BNelson
Posted 11/29/2005 10:16 PM (#166998 - in reply to #166986)

Oh man, I got all teary eyed....ok maybe not...good story though you big SAP!
Donnie3737
Posted 11/29/2005 10:17 PM (#166999 - in reply to #166998)

I luv ya man....

BUT you sure as he!! ain't getting my Bud Light!!!

See ya next week,
Donnie
sworrall
Posted 11/29/2005 10:31 PM (#167001 - in reply to #166999)

Donnie,
Exactly.
muskyboy
Posted 11/29/2005 10:44 PM (#167007 - in reply to #166986)

Donnie, thanks for sharing such a great perspective. Many of us who musky fish played competitive sports. Johnny Sled and I just discovered when we fished together for the first time that we played against each other in high school football
Donnie3737
Posted 11/30/2005 6:07 AM (#167014 - in reply to #166986)

We lost to the Ashland Oardockers in the 1984 State Championship...I went to DeForest. Anyway, I ran into a guy in Canada that played on that team...what a small world, eh?

stephendawg
Posted 11/30/2005 7:16 AM (#167016 - in reply to #166986)

Donnie,
Awesome tribute. You're living out a dream that a lot of us don't have the nerve to pursue. However, I've noticed a common thread on this board and in general; Life is about releationships, memories and serving one another. This board has been a snapshot of that. I commend you for your success with business and with your friends. Hope to hear many more stories from your camp.
best regards,
Steve
Donnie3737
Posted 11/30/2005 7:34 AM (#167020 - in reply to #166986)

Steve,

I did live me dream...I sold out to Herbie back in 1999, and have had the opportunity to fish with some of the greatest muskie sticks around...in my estimation, Herbie has been the guy who took me under his wing and helped me become a decent muskie fisherman. Could you imagine sitting around the camp fire or fireplace EVERY night talking with Steve about BIG muskies? I was a sponge...

With my boys playing football & baseball, and wrestling...with my daughter playing basketball, volleyball, and soccer, I had to make a choice about Andy Myer's Lodge...I sold it.

Herbie has done an awesome job with the camp...I am proud to say I was part of it. I look forward to spending 5 to 6 weeks a year in Canada, fishing my favorite lake, for my favorite quarry!

Thanks for the response Steve....it is truly about relationships, memories, and friendships...PEACE!

Donnie
muskihntr
Posted 11/30/2005 7:48 AM (#167021 - in reply to #166986)

cut the crap donnie you comin fishing this weekend??? seriously thats what its all about , the fish are secondary. ive made some great friendships thru this sport and some of these boards. people i know, that if i called them in the middle of the nite in trouble they wouldnt ask why, when or where, they would just be there, and no they are not getting my bud light either!!
happy holidays!
Donnie3737
Posted 11/30/2005 8:04 AM (#167023 - in reply to #166986)

Jon,

You are one of those guys I call a friend within the muskie fraternity...it has been great getting to know you. And, thanks for always sharing your Blue with me at AML...LOL...I know, I know...I won't be getting your Bud Light!

Trying to come this weekend, but it looks like mama put the reigns on me....but, maybe NEXT weekend?

Donnie
jonnysled
Posted 11/30/2005 8:33 AM (#167028 - in reply to #166986)

it's ironic to see a post called the musky fraternity especially yesterday. a year ago i made a post to the musky brotherhood on muskyhunter.com as a way to reach out to the strangers that had become friends during a terrible time in my life. a chain reaction of events happened in my life including the suicide of a close friend, a plane crash killing 5 co-workers in my very small firm and finally the shocking reality that my marriage was going to end. i didn't eat without being nautious and could sleep without nightmares for almost 6 months .... for any of you that have gone through tragedy, you'll remember the days where you felt like you woke up dead and just were forced to live dead in an empty state and everything reminded you or shook you into the reality of the fallout. i lost a ton of weight and literally saw my hair go from dark to white.

the strangers that i saw through this machine in my lap started to call and stop in and came into my life and the lives of my 4 kids starting a year ago today and helped me through the healing process that i thought could never happen. i'll never forget the messages and people just checking in on me through the toughest times and the times in the boat with someone that helped to just do something.

jackpot johny, a young guy from Madison made a weekend spring trip and the kids and i helped him move a boat .... he wouldn't just let us go home (me 4 kids in a small apt. sleeping on a cot .... a far cry from the home i supplied to the "outsiders" ) ... took us to lunch and entertained my kids during a time i couldn't even smile for them.

late fall in the boat with Curt Fleener before i really had said anything about what had happened ... this day was the empty day when i felt the full impact and talked about it for the first time .... then John Bette (muskihntr) and then into the winter when i would get messages from Hunts just to see how things were going especially during the holidays.

winter ice fishing with Gare and MuskiHntr getting my mojo back ....

summer the Rhinelander Musky League ... thanks Norm, Steve, John, Dave, BigMo, Merckid, Mike, Shane, Andy ... and on and on
- Mike Morse talked straight with me and help me really sort things out, he knew and wasn't afraid to approach the tough questions about especially kids and divorce ... sorted out alot of thought with Mike on the water that helped me be a better dad.
summer WMT on Mani Chain staying as a guest at the "compound" .... thanks BigMo !!!! you know a lot of people are afraid to approach someone directly and try to avoid "the subject" about what's going on and it's the very thing they need.

spending time with the Bette family on trout lake during their vacation with my kids

the muskynut outing and all the people we met there

fall trip to Eagle which i couldn't afford .... and couldn't afford not to do with MuskiHntr (John Bette) ....

fall fishing on Kentuck with Andy

fall fishing with the guys from the FIX ... Brad, John and Mike

trip to Minnesota meeting Shady and Jonesi

yesterday my divorce was final and even though i've move through most of the worst things and gotten through them, they all came back the two days and nights before the hearing.

today marks the start of the next chapter for me many thanks to you ... the musky fraternity.

so, to anyone out there that might be facing tough times .... reach out cause help will be on the way!

Edited by jonnysled 11/30/2005 8:43 AM
jonnysled
Posted 11/30/2005 8:52 AM (#167031 - in reply to #166986)

can't forget meeting the Pointers Mike, Brian and Emily this summer

and, the Hodag with Rich "Big Goomba" Gallagher and meeting Mike the bait painter and the crew from the flatland at the Clearview
C.Painter
Posted 11/30/2005 8:56 AM (#167032 - in reply to #166986)

Great post Donnie.

But what is even better....is these folks took you under their wing and helped you along....but you have done the same in return to many folks...and I am one of them. Thanks for all the fond memories over the years "Todd" and helping me accelerate the learning curve on Eagle by light years....and of course putting me on my first 50+ fish.

Cory

Donnie3737
Posted 11/30/2005 9:01 AM (#167033 - in reply to #166986)

Cory,

The video is still in my presentation...I can honestly say, I don't think i've EVER gotten so excited...it was an awesome hit by your 52"er, a great fight, and too bad that HUGE fish ;-), off of Three Bears, didn't hit right after that spot! It would have been the night of my life watching you catch TWO fish over 50"s.

You have done an awesome job of learning the lake...it will take some people 10 years to learn what you've learned in 4!!

Sled,

I didn't realize you've been through so much this past year! I can honestly say that the muskie world has helped me through the toughest times of my life. I know that you will be blessed, and if you ever need anything, please feel free to call.

Donnie
jonnysled
Posted 11/30/2005 9:24 AM (#167034 - in reply to #166986)

just a shot at that 56 - 58"er next year man! never told you this, but after watching the relationship you've got with Weston ... made a mental note to work for the same with mine. impressive son you've got.
Rich Gallagher
Posted 11/30/2005 10:46 AM (#167045 - in reply to #167031)

Jon,
Great fishing with you this year at the HODAG. Hopefully we'll have better luck in 2006. Sorry we didn't hook up for our last trip north to Vilas in late October. My partner Doug lost a solid 48"er on the meat at the boat! Would have been his personal best! Happy Holidays. Love to get out with you on the hard stuff this winter!
sworrall
Posted 11/30/2005 11:23 AM (#167049 - in reply to #167045)

What has amazed me is the growth of the fraternity. More folks all the time and as a result more friends, for the most part. I met Sue as a result of my web addiction, so without the 'puter, I'd still be fishing and hunting alone.
Donnie3737
Posted 11/30/2005 12:18 PM (#167056 - in reply to #166986)

Sled,

That means alot...I am very, VERY rpoud of my two boys, and my daughter...they are my life's blood! Thanks for noticing...and I can tell you what, you WILL achieve that kind of relationship...always talk about it...don't ever let it go by the wayside, unspoken!

Worrall,

Yes, Weston has been outfishing me for 5 years now. He is an incredible figure 8er...that is the number one key for Eagle!!

See ya all,
Donnie
muskyone
Posted 11/30/2005 12:48 PM (#167062 - in reply to #166986)

Great post and story Donnie. Brings up some stuff I shopuld have said long ago.
Lost my job a few years back and I took it pretty darn hard. Had support from friends and Family but got messages and phone calls from the folks here at M1st. I still thank you today SHEP. Ranger called as well and was a big help with his support. Steve, you have become a friend for life. Cady, thanks for the support about jobs etc. By the way where the he!! is he? The whole darn bunch of folks here helped more than they will ever know. I am doing better now than ever before both financially and at home. So when someone says Thank You to the Muskie Fraternity. That goes at least double from me. Thanks everybody and I hope you all have a great Holiday season.
Thanks Donnie for spurring my memory ands getting me into action. I needed to thank all these wonderful people here.

Now enough of this mushy crap lets have someone talk about Muskies.
GOTONE
Posted 11/30/2005 2:24 PM (#167074 - in reply to #166986)

Donnie,
I have to second what Cory said. I first got to fish with you back in 2001 on Eagle when I was still new to this fish we call a muskie. As a bass fisherman, I had alot to learn, and still do. You took me out and made me fish my a@@ off. You made me cast this big heavy rubber bait you called a Bull Dawg for three days in a row. I thought my arm was going to fall off!!
I learned about sucker fishing, (and losing them too!), the proper way to figure eight (with 7/8ths of your body hanging over the side of the boat), and that we don't waste 20 inch suckers on 43 inch northerns!!!

Well, I'm hooked now on this fish, and have you to thank in a big part of it.

Thanks,
GotOne
BNelson
Posted 11/30/2005 5:37 PM (#167101 - in reply to #166986)

I did the famous "donnie hunt" figure 8 on a few Mille Lacs monsters this summer with Lee T and he just had to know WHERE I learned to do them like that....I could only say ...the one and only Donnie Hunt...saw you do that on Eagle and I have been doing it ever since on the big girls to get them away from the boat...you are a great teacher Donnie.
Donnie3737
Posted 11/30/2005 7:54 PM (#167121 - in reply to #166986)

Brad,

You were a QUICK study with only 3 days in the boat together...we'll catch us a BIG one some day together.

Donnie
BNelson
Posted 11/30/2005 8:05 PM (#167123 - in reply to #166986)

A big one? More like multiple Big Ones I think!
sworrall
Posted 12/1/2005 7:57 AM (#167160 - in reply to #167123)

Thinking about this my career and life's direction is a result of the influence of folks like Jim Cairnes, my Dad, Tony Portincaso, Dave Csanda, Dan Sura, Roger Sabota, Art Barlow, Lee Bastian, Jim Kalkofen and a fraternity of Muskie anglers they represented then ( when no computers were available) and now. I'd probably be a used car jockey in Wauconda otherwise. I've thanked them many times, but probably not enough.

Muskie fishermenr and women are just plain good people, most cases.

Donnie, sploosh.
Donnie3737
Posted 12/2/2005 7:30 AM (#167274 - in reply to #166986)

See....I told you there is none better than the muskie fraternity.....for the 60 + souls in the auction last night, you'll back me in saying we belong to the greatest group of outdoorsman alive....KLY would agree too!!!

Now, I gotta figure out how to come up with an extra $300...LOL!

God bless all who donated money for muskies last night in the KLY auction!!

Donnie