Holding fish
djwilliams
Posted 9/9/2005 11:29 AM (#159026)
Subject: Holding fish

Please help solve this argument. I have a brother in law who states that holding a northern with a grip over the operculum will kill it, and that holding it by its eyes will not kill it. He has his two sisters, who catch more northern than anyone, convinced he is right. I keep telling he and them that the opposite is true.
My wife says she'll be convinced based on what the guys at MuskieFirst say.
Thanks,
Don

sorenson
Posted 9/9/2005 11:36 AM (#159027 - in reply to #159026)
Subject: RE: Holding fish

Neither will kill it out right. Holding it by the eyes will probably blind it and lead to reduced fitness and probably death at a later time. Holding it by the outside of the opercles, providing one does not press the opercles into the fragile gill membranes, will not harm the fish. On a bigger fish, the vertical hold (i.e., unsupported) while holding the opercles may cause damage. Hope this helps.
Sorno

Edited by sorenson 9/9/2005 11:37 AM
chico
Posted 9/9/2005 11:37 AM (#159028 - in reply to #159026)

I am really hoping that this is a "joke" thread. Is there really anyone out there stupid enough to believe that holding any fish by the eyes is a good idea? I really hope not.
djwilliams
Posted 9/9/2005 5:51 PM (#159070 - in reply to #159027)

Chico- NOT a joke. And in response to other post I do not hold any northern by the gill cover so tight as to harm it. Got a bro in law who says any gill cover hold will kill the fish. I disagree vehemently and know that eye holds kill fish. Just need something to show the wife to prove my position- kinda sophomoric- but thats where I'm at with this one.
Thanks for the concern
djw
MikeHulbert
Posted 9/9/2005 6:33 PM (#159075 - in reply to #159026)

How about just shake northerns off....

If you have to hold them, either hold them by the gills and the belly, or since northerns are usually smaller, put one hand underneath the head and one underneath the belly.

No hands in the eyes or gills then.
ToddM
Posted 9/9/2005 8:44 PM (#159079 - in reply to #159026)

I lip the small pike sometimes but if I really have to work on them I bring a little rubber net with me when i go up north now.
fish4musky1
Posted 9/10/2005 12:59 PM (#159099 - in reply to #159026)

i was channel surfing last night at 1130 and came across this cheap fishing show. it was local television and probally
some video from a local. they were up in canada catching 20 lb pike. they were with a guide who would pick them up
by the eyes and hold them so there head was smashed against the side of the boat to get the hook out, then hold them
up for a good 2 minutes and pass it from person to person fro pictures then try to release them. it made me sick!