GLIDERS
mn_mike
Posted 6/10/2005 1:48 PM (#150313)
Subject: GLIDERS

One thing I need to add to my box is GLIDERS! I don't have the cash flow to buy some of those $25-$45 lures; especially if I don't even know if I am going to like them or not. So my question is what is your favorite glider and how do you work it? Tell me the ins&outs and what is so special about that bait that it has its own rod that it never gets taken off of. I've been considering a Hellhound, Manta, and even one of those Novak lures on Ebay. I have a couple of ReefHawgs, Burts, and Suicks for jerkbaits but nothing with that nice side-to-side action.

Let's hear it!

Thanks,
Mike
tomcat
Posted 6/10/2005 3:31 PM (#150338 - in reply to #150313)
Subject: RE: GLIDERS

one word...8" Orignal Phantom.
www.phantomlures.com

probably the #1 most popular glider by MANY guys on this board. Thorne Bros has them. Dont get a knock off my Odysee lures...get the orignal PHantom.. like $20-$25. THEY ARE GREAT from spring to winter..all year long.
muskihntr
Posted 6/10/2005 5:25 PM (#150349 - in reply to #150313)

no pro here but, go with the hellhound you will not be disapointed. if you are ill buy it from you so you can buy another bait!!! there ya go a money back gaurantee in musky fishing!!!! or what tomcat says would not be a bad choice either! here is my email in case you need to contact me about selling it to me, but im 100% sure you wont part with it. [email protected]

Edited by muskihntr 6/10/2005 5:29 PM
jnelson
Posted 6/10/2005 6:30 PM (#150354 - in reply to #150349)

Not an expert on all the lures out there but I use the Mr. Automatic glider from musky safari tackle, These seem to work real well for me, and they are only 18.99 at rollie and hellens, I've also seen them at Pastikas, Just my .02c
hrjohnny
Posted 6/12/2005 10:08 PM (#150444 - in reply to #150313)

My choice would be obvious, but considering your price range I would suggest the Dunwright Dancer. For a plastic bait... wow.
what a great glide!!

Consistency is what I look for. Dunwright has got it.

HR
jonnysled
Posted 6/13/2005 10:25 AM (#150503 - in reply to #150313)

i put gliders into (3) categories and fish them with different purposes:

(1) walk-the-dogs .... mr. automatic (my favorite), manta and hell hound ..... i use these baits and work them really slow in colder water or to bring out big neutral fish.

(2) up and down pull baits .... bobbie/suick/sandcat .... same use as (1) if (1) isn't showing fish .... but very strong bait to use ripping through cover

(3) erratic/darting baits .... reef hawg/jerko .... i use when water is warmer and fish are more active and chasing down baits

(4) .... oops, i said there were 3, but the fourth category that i'm going to spend more time with is plastics ..... kill'r eel/bulldawgs/squirly tails .... going to start working these as a jerk bait when fish don't seem to be active

your initial investment should be to cover at least a bait in each of the categories and then develop your inventory from there. i tend to be more slow and deliberate when working these and have had success doing things this way, i have read alot of other presentations and looked at pool demo work on some of the newer stuff coming out (particularly plastics) to think i need to work on more active presentations of some traditional habits.

hope this helps you out. ...... once you start gliding with confidence, you'll have a tough time not getting really hooked on these bait types. it's just a fun way to fish IMO
MuskieMike
Posted 6/14/2005 1:04 AM (#150597 - in reply to #150313)

I have a few drop belly gliders from Novak. 25$ good baits. I also have a wabull from Musky Nut. Great bait, but hard to find. But honestly, you can't beat a Hughes River. I threw my first one this weekend. A 8 inch hughey I got from HR Johnny. Man what a glide. Unbelievable!!! Worth every penny!!!! Trying to decide what I have to sell to get a 8 inch Shaker next.
Grass
Posted 6/20/2005 5:14 PM (#151249 - in reply to #150313)

Muskie E Rubber Hairy Glider is a great glider, very easy to use and very eratic action. Approx $15.00

Nitro - H20 tackle very easy to use, walks the dog under water with lots of belly roll. $20.00.

Undertaker, easy to use, eratic action, $20.00.

Reef Hawg - old standby still catches tons of fish, $15.00.
muskyman
Posted 8/4/2005 11:17 PM (#155791 - in reply to #150313)

I have had some awesome luck with Manta's. They hunt really well and the different models allow you to cover the water column really well. For me , the smallmouth and the walleye patterns are really hard to beat, especially on LOTW. The sheer compact design and the weight factor really lets you hurl them in the windy weather too. I usually let them fade boatside. Since it is hard to do a figure 8 with them. Letting them just fall boatside results in some vicious strikes. One thing to watch out for though, don't throw them up shallow and bounce them off the rocks. The plastic insert that makes them glide will not last long if you do that. Been there, done that.
mn_mike
Posted 8/5/2005 12:08 PM (#155831 - in reply to #150313)

Thanks for the tips. I've been looking at purchasing a Manta. It's either going to be a couple of Mantas or a Manta and Hellhound. I watched the videos on the River Run website and they looked AWESOME! The boat side tip might have saved me a fish already.
Thanks for everyones imput.

Mike
jonnysled
Posted 8/5/2005 12:40 PM (#155836 - in reply to #150313)

the hellhound is different than the manta in that you can walk the dog with a steady cadence and then turn it into a reef hawg and make it dart and roll. if i had to pick between the two baits, i'd go with the hellhound for it's versatility .... you really get 2 baits for one and lots more presentation options. i do like the mantas too .... but limited to the walk the dog movement. very good however when the fish are in the mood to eat that movement.
kevin
Posted 8/5/2005 12:54 PM (#155837 - in reply to #150313)

Any of the Hoosier Handmade Musky bait Gliders.. Very nice, easy to work and they catch fish..

http://www.hoosierhandmademuskybaits.com/
ToddM
Posted 8/5/2005 9:24 PM (#155855 - in reply to #150313)

I can second what kevin says, i really like the pot belly glider he makes but they are all good.

The nitro and the x-gllide are must haves too. www.h20tackle.com
MikeHulbert
Posted 8/6/2005 12:18 PM (#155877 - in reply to #150313)

I am a glider freak, and throw them almost everyday that I am on the water.

Here are a few that have found starting positions in my boat:

1. Bikini Baits, the Beer Belly and Turmoil. These baits can be worked fast, slow, or SUPER fast as I like to fish them. They are made to take some serious abuse. My #1 bait this year.

2. Delong Eels, great skinny water bait. Slack line and stiff snaps really make these baits come alive in the water

3. Jerko and Squirko, very erratic action, which is a HUGE triggering technique. Built out of solid plastic, so they will always run the same. No worries about chipping paint, or clear coat falling off. Great hooking percentage lures and great when nothing else is working

4. Phantoms, these lures have been in my box for several years, and have produced some very nice fish. Easy to work, great hooking percentages and good flash and roll. One of the best gliders out there today.

Those would be my 5 "go-to" gliders..... I really love the Hughes Rivers, but if you are just looking to fill your box, these top 5's will get you going for sure.
firstsixfeet
Posted 9/21/2005 3:17 PM (#160323 - in reply to #150313)

IMO gliders are probably the most over used and under productive baits available. In cover and/or in colored water, I would much rather bet on something else. Gliders are easy to throw and easy to work but produce too many follows and not enough "feasts". Most of the time and in most situations I think gliders are out performed by other baits.
12yrs.old2muskies
Posted 11/30/2005 4:12 PM (#167092 - in reply to #150313)

Pastilas has a glider called the Bitten Warlock. Im pretty sure its $20-$30. Its easy to use and has great colors.
Posted 4/29/2006 1:34 PM (#189466 - in reply to #150313)

for an odd bait try the viper it is kind of a topwater/glider but I like them to stay subserface but splash at the end of each glide
Posted 4/29/2006 1:34 PM (#189467 - in reply to #150313)

for an odd bait try the viper it is kind of a topwater/glider but I like them to stay subserface but splash at the end of each glide