Abu Drag problems
ostdc
Posted 6/5/2005 9:16 PM (#149733)
Subject: Abu Drag problems

I was out for the first time yesterday with a new Abu 6500 TCM. I tightened down the drag and started throwing a glider. With every tap, the drag would slip. I had that thing as tight as I could get it and I found that I could easily make it slip.
Is this something I can fix by myself, or do I need to send it back to Abu? Like I said, it is a new, never used reel. I got it earlier this spring from Jackson's.
Brian
muskie! nut
Posted 6/5/2005 9:28 PM (#149734 - in reply to #149733)
Subject: RE: Abu Drag problems

You put mono or dacron backing on the spool before you put on the super line?

Lets say you did. Then if you'd like take the crank off then the star drag, and make sure that the two metal washers right under that star are opposite each other. These are the things that put pressure against the drag washers and it the reason you want to back off the drag after every trip. Once these things go flat you have not got drag washer pressure. But if you got a week ands about $10, send it back to Abu and they will likely fix (or replace it) for free.
muskynightmare
Posted 6/5/2005 10:05 PM (#149735 - in reply to #149733)

Good advice. While you have it apart, make sure that those washers are free of oil. Dry washers are happy washers.
ostdc
Posted 6/6/2005 8:32 AM (#149757 - in reply to #149733)

OK. I took the drag apart and it was full of grease. The whole area under the star was full of grease. I cleaned it out as best I could and wiped the washers dry. I put it all back together and it is still the same. I think I need to send it back.
Why is the mono backing important?
Brian
Mark H.
Posted 6/6/2005 8:41 AM (#149758 - in reply to #149733)

You need to make sure your line is not slipping on the spool. Some guys like to use mono backing before spooling the rest with their prefered line. Myself, I fill mine up with superline, but I do put a little black electrical tape over the first two revolutions, I have never had a slipping problem.

That being said, your finding excessive grease/oil from the factory is not all that uncommon with Abu. I found quite a bit of it a few years back, I work on reels for the folks in the local area, so I see about two dozen reels a year. If the reel has been sitting on the shelf for a while the oil has a tendancy to migrate to the washers and they will slip if coated with oil or grease.

I personally like the Smoothie brand drag washers for Abu reels. If you are not comfortable working on your own reel, return it for a refund/exchange unit at the place you purchased it.
sorenson
Posted 6/6/2005 8:41 AM (#149760 - in reply to #149733)

Superlines won't grip the spool and it will just appear that the drag is not working when in actuality, the spool is just slipping underneath all the line (or the line is just spinning on the unmoving spool). It's really pronounced if the line isn't packed on incredibly tight. Look closely at the spool when pulling the line out (testing the drag) and see if it is actually turning or if the line is just slipping around it.
I had a friend that had the same thing happen w/ a 6500c4. He was almost ready to throw it in the lake, but when he took the line off to send it back, he tried to spin the spool w/ his thumb and couldn't budge it.
Good luck.
Kent
TanMan
Posted 6/6/2005 9:04 AM (#149770 - in reply to #149733)

ostdc,

When you cleaned out the drag and gears, did you use a solvent to properly de-grease the washers and gears? I just finished my 6 reels using varsol which cleans nicely, doesn't damage plastic parts and dries perfectly. If you didn't use a solvent, you didn't really solve your problem.

$.02
ostdc
Posted 6/6/2005 9:55 AM (#149772 - in reply to #149733)

Well, some of you were right. The spool is not slipping, but the line on the spool is. How to fix it?
Brian
sorenson
Posted 6/6/2005 10:07 AM (#149773 - in reply to #149733)

You'll need to take all of the line off and either tape it like Mark suggested or put on a few yards of mono backing, then rewind it all back on.
K.
Musky Man
Posted 6/6/2005 10:09 AM (#149774 - in reply to #149733)

Put mono backing on.
ostdc
Posted 6/6/2005 11:00 AM (#149781 - in reply to #149733)

Got it fixed. Thanks guys!
Brian