Dipsy divers or planer boards?
Jimfish
Posted 6/3/2005 8:45 AM (#149551)
Subject: Dipsy divers or planer boards?

Which works better and how do you use them?
Thanks
Mr.Pike
Posted 6/3/2005 9:02 AM (#149553 - in reply to #149551)
Subject: RE: Dipsy divers or planer boards?

ive never used either one of them so im not sure, but i think they are for 2 different purposes. dipsy's get the bait down, and planers get the bait away from the boat.
Netman
Posted 6/3/2005 12:07 PM (#149575 - in reply to #149551)

If your fishing for skies the use a dipsy, there available in a slide diver model that allows you to put more lineout between the lure and disc. otherwise the original model you have the lure 4 or 5 feet behind the disc. Planer boards when hit give to much play and hookset is more of a problem. Both when used right will get the lures away from the boat the dispy will take the bait down depending on how much line is let out.
Mikes Extreme
Posted 6/3/2005 1:29 PM (#149594 - in reply to #149575)

Dipsys for deeper depths and planer boards for getting the baits away from the boat without going too deep. Both have a place in my boat. It seems like the muskies like less hardware when it comes to extra stuff on the line. Planer boards get me lots of muskies when the fish are not too deep. Gets the baits away form the boat and in the correct water depth.
lobi
Posted 6/3/2005 7:10 PM (#149628 - in reply to #149551)

Never tried dipseys but use Planer Boards a lot.

Most often run off the boards is jointed or straight wood body baits (6-7 inch) 20-25 feet behind the board with 0-2-or 4 oz of lead clipped on 4-6 feet in front of the lure. Big fish way to catch 'em for sure. We catch more on down rods and prop-wash rods but more often the bigger fish are on the boards. Lake St Clair is often so rough we don't even bother however.
2Rodknocker
Posted 6/4/2005 9:48 PM (#149689 - in reply to #149628)

I'm with Lobi on this one...Catch a bunch of fish with boards, have never used dipsy's yet.
I have settled on Gary Roach's Mr Walleye boards.
They are the best inline boards I've tried and I've used them all.
I've never used a mast and board set up, but I know they work too.
If you try the Mr Walleye boards, you wont be dissappointed.
The way I set them out is I let out my bait as far as I want it to be behind the board, and then clip the board on the line and let out however much line it takes to get the board the desired distance from the boat.
Foolproof,and idiot proof...I said I use them.
Rodney LaCaze
stephendawg
Posted 6/5/2005 3:25 PM (#149707 - in reply to #149551)

The current IN state record was caught with a Dipsey and Bulldawg.
2 different tools for 2 different purposes.
Some baits don't swim well behind a Dipsey. Others work nicely because of the swinging action a Dipsey creates. Planers are tops for putting out a wide set or working over weed tops from a distance.
ToddM told me a couple of years ago to experiment and keep notes. That's what I've done and I've enjoyed learning. My son HOWEVER has another opinion of trolling....
"Give me a life jacket and I'll just swim for shore."
ToddM
Posted 6/5/2005 11:27 PM (#149739 - in reply to #149551)

I use planer boards alot and they work great. Dipsey divers are very tricky with musky fishing. Most baits have too much drag for a dipsey diver and it will roll over and come right up to the surface. Try using baits with very low drag. So far the only bait that worked was a vibrax spinner and I did boat a fish on the setup. The dipsey carries alot of drag with it and I have busted 2 line counter reels in the cold weather using them.

Edited by ToddM 6/5/2005 11:28 PM