Big greenbay fish from out of season is finally posted
johnson
Posted 5/31/2005 2:59 PM (#149179)
Subject: Big greenbay fish from out of season is finally posted

My Friend Ryan Dempsey of Green Bay WI has decided to post the pictures of the big musky he caught while on our walleye fishing trip in my boat this April in Green Bay WI. The fish was 56 inches long with a 33 ½ inch girth. The fish was released. Ryan caught this fish on a rapala, with a 7 1/2 foot St Croix Advid on 8 lb Power pro.
There is a replica of this fish being made by Fittante Taxidermist and the fish will be on display at the end of July early August at the Rocky Outdoor Gear of Green Bay, Wi (Corner of 172 and GV) where Ryan currently works.

I hope you enjoy the pictures

Eric Haataja Big Fish Guide Service www.wibigfish.com

copy right 2005
JWB475
Posted 5/31/2005 3:06 PM (#149183 - in reply to #149179)
Subject: RE: Big greenbay fish from out of season is finally posted

Edited by JWB475 6/1/2005 9:35 AM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(1.jpg)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1.jpg (27KB - 1073 downloads)
Attachments 2.jpg (37KB - 1207 downloads)
C.Painter
Posted 5/31/2005 3:08 PM (#149184 - in reply to #149179)

looks like they cut and pasted the fish from the "obvious land mark" and put it on a nice natural setting...

nice fish...

Cory
JohnMD
Posted 5/31/2005 3:30 PM (#149188 - in reply to #149179)

Next spring I'm going walleye fishing

Nice Fish

Edited by JohnMD 5/31/2005 3:33 PM
Posted 5/31/2005 3:37 PM (#149191 - in reply to #149179)

WOW!!!! Where are all the naysayers now????
tuffy1
Posted 5/31/2005 3:37 PM (#149192 - in reply to #149179)

Holy Fatness batman!!!! I hope to see one of those this weekend.
PK, you stay over there, we don't need you drinking all of our beer.
MuskieMedic
Posted 5/31/2005 3:52 PM (#149197 - in reply to #149179)

Wow!! Hopefully that big girl will be hungry now that the season is open.
2Rodknocker
Posted 5/31/2005 4:33 PM (#149200 - in reply to #149179)

I officially said OH MY GOD when I saw that picture!
WOW
Pike Master
Posted 5/31/2005 4:52 PM (#149202 - in reply to #149179)

What a PIG!!!!Awesome fish!!
kevin
Posted 5/31/2005 6:37 PM (#149210 - in reply to #149179)

Wow!! What a pig!! Glad the guy finally allowed it to be posted....
AFChief
Posted 5/31/2005 8:21 PM (#149218 - in reply to #149179)

I'm going to show this picture to all those people I know that do not understand my passion for muskie fishing. This fish is a perfect example to explain why I love to hunt muskies -- there is always a chance of landing a monster.......
lambeau
Posted 5/31/2005 9:29 PM (#149220 - in reply to #149179)

can anybody else here the sounds of the song "we go green bay" playing in the background?
hoo f-ing ahh.
muskyboy
Posted 5/31/2005 10:28 PM (#149226 - in reply to #149179)

I will be after her this year, in season and hopefully beefed up for Fall

Thank you very much for finally posting the pictures. What a great catch and surely a line class record.

Wisconsin. land of small fish....NOT

Edited by muskyboy 5/31/2005 10:29 PM
soontobdeleted
Posted 6/1/2005 12:25 AM (#149231 - in reply to #149179)

Great fish! Is that the great lakes strain? Could the great lakes strain be stocked in inland lakes? How about the hold? No way that is 70 Lbs and held like that! Photo analysis?
Out of season vertical hold? Suprised noone has hit that!
Eyesore
Posted 6/1/2005 12:38 AM (#149232 - in reply to #149179)

.........Doin' some math here......56 x 33.5 x 33.5 / 800 = 78.5......

Hmmmm.......

I have always believed in that formula. But wow. Must be lotsa spawn in her to achieve that kind of "Fat chick" status

Thanks for sharing the pics. Awesome
ChadG
Posted 6/1/2005 4:06 AM (#149233 - in reply to #149179)

CONGRATES on a catch of a lifetime. Holy fat cows Batman did you see the belly on that one.
Netman
Posted 6/1/2005 6:10 AM (#149235 - in reply to #149179)

Man...I need one of those tonight!!! Nice fish.... I think I need to rethink the size of the tackle I'm using. Back to the Walleye rods and 8lb test.
hotlanta
Posted 6/1/2005 6:37 AM (#149237 - in reply to #149179)

These pictures show us why we are all the same in our need to fish muskies. No matter where we are from, the south, Wisconsin , Minnesota, the northeast, the west and Canada this is why we fish. When I say fish, there is only one type of fishing, MUSKIE!! Congradulations on the fish, it is truly a moment to rember the rest of your life. Now to the rest of us LETS GO GET ONE BIGGER!!
DJS
Posted 6/1/2005 6:56 AM (#149238 - in reply to #149179)

What a beast! Sure looks to be something over 70lbs. Does anyone know the dimensions of Obrien's 65lber. caught out of Georgian Bay some years back? The question is what will that fish weigh after dropping all of her egg mass or will she even drop it. I remember some years back a 60lber. that was caught in Ontario and was in Musky Hunter I believe that scientists agreed adsorbed her egg mass and was a sort of freak of nature thus the incredible weight.
musky14
Posted 6/1/2005 7:21 AM (#149239 - in reply to #149179)

Congrats!! she's a fatty..
pgaschulz
Posted 6/1/2005 8:01 AM (#149243 - in reply to #149179)

What was that about 42 inches LOL GREAT FISH got to love it..

pga
Shep
Posted 6/1/2005 8:08 AM (#149244 - in reply to #149239)

Yup, it's a biggun! I knew there were giants here, to rival any system out there.

I never doubted the size, or the catch. I just don't agree with all the praise and congrats on a fish OOS and caught by accident. As I stated before, and I stand by it still, it doesn't count. And to have a replica made? Well, to each his own. And besides, who am I to criticize? I know that the guys out east catch alot of great big fish. You rarely here of them, and never hear about an OOS fish.

The fish looks not like it's full of just spawn. It looks like it's got a 10 lb eye in it's belly! The big fish Eric caught two years ago had what felt like a brick in it's belly when we held it. Obviously, these fish have voracious appetites!

Edited by Shep 6/1/2005 8:10 AM
MACK
Posted 6/1/2005 10:02 AM (#149258 - in reply to #149200)

2Rodknocker - 5/31/2005 4:33 PM

I officially said OH MY GOD when I saw that picture!
WOW

DITTO! Exactly!

Congrats on that fish. That is honkin' huge!
greenduck
Posted 6/1/2005 10:27 AM (#149261 - in reply to #149179)

I would also like to know where the second guess folks are now? There have been many people stating those types of fish
exist in G.B. I guess the biggest fish I ever saw (in Door Co.) was a figment of my imagination. I guess it was just "another Wisconsin 40lb fish story eh?"
Bill C.
jlong
Posted 6/1/2005 10:29 AM (#149262 - in reply to #149179)

Without the correct landmarks (background) how do we REALLY know it came from Green Bay or Wisconsin for that matter. Heck, how do we even know the photo is authentic since it was obviously photo shopped.

Looks like a Mille Lacs fish to me (ha ha).

Sorry... couldn't resist stirring the pot considering all the "controversy" over this fish a month ago.

Regardless... that's one giant fish. Glad to see the pics finally surface.

jlong
Netman
Posted 6/1/2005 10:34 AM (#149263 - in reply to #149179)

Whats with the fish that are coming out of Green Bay? The anal fin on this fish looks deformed or under developed as what we have seen in past muskies caught in that river. Sanks caught one last year that had a crooked spine and deformed fins and a posted picture later that year had a problem with fins.
There's a genetic problem with fish in that river but if the all are going be 56 x 33? Thats why we don't eat muskies!!!! I hope you walleye guy's aren't having any shore lunches up there.

Netman
Shep
Posted 6/1/2005 11:11 AM (#149266 - in reply to #149179)

I suspect they are derformed from the fin clip process, is all. Sometimes they take all the fin, sometimes they take just a portion, and they grow(heal) funny like that.

Wonder if the DNR can age that fish by the clip?
bchunter26
Posted 6/1/2005 9:31 PM (#149335 - in reply to #149179)

I love to hunt as much as I love to fish.But you know there is one thing I have never been able to figure out. if I am walking through the woods in the springtime and happen apon a dead deer with a rack that scores 220 Typical points I am the world record holder for a typical whitetail, at least two of the top ten bucks were killed by a train or a car and noone bats an eye. But if someone happens to catch a world class Musky out of season while trying for another species they are ripped to shred's for doing it. This poor guy goes Walleye fishing with Walleye tackle and hooks an awsome fish. He then takes a couple pitures and puts the fish back in good health and gets bad mouthed for doing it? He wasn't fishing for musky out of season, the way I look at it is it was the fish's fault for eating the small Rapala, you can't help what is going to eat your lue once you throw it in the water. Have any of you caught a Bass or Norhtern while musky fishing? Do you treat a small Northern with respect when they bend up your favorite Bucktail? If he was out with heavy equipment it would be another thing. If he want's to get a replica done I say go for it, hell get two. I say thank you for putting this fish back for someone else to catch. OK I am done with my rant, back to fishing and see you when the water freezes.
esoxcpr
Posted 6/2/2005 4:50 AM (#149361 - in reply to #149179)

The LXGXG/800 formula isn't widely used anymore as it overestimates larger fish and underestimates smaller fish. The newly accepted formula which more accurately represents weight of all sizes of musky is (LXG/25-10). That puts the weight of this fish at 65.04 pounds, which I believe is pretty close. Had this been caught legally in season and the estimated weight was / is correct it would rank as one of the 5 largest verified muskies of all time. Either way it's HUGE and ranks right up there in the same class as one of the largest muskies caught in history. It's also at least 10 pounds larger than any fish that's ever been caught in Minnesota.

Edited by esoxcpr 6/2/2005 4:53 AM
JohnMD
Posted 6/2/2005 7:46 AM (#149370 - in reply to #149361)

All weights are just " Estimates ", Unless the Fish is weighed on a certified scale.

While the various formulas may get you into the ball park there are too many vaviables for formulas to be accurate
What Did the fish Eat? Is it still in it's Stomach

Like People some have a higher fat to muscle ratio those with a higher muscle ratio tend to weigh more even though
the physical dimensions may be the same or very close

So unless it's on a Certified Scale it's just a Really Nice Fish

Edited by JohnMD 6/2/2005 7:47 AM
d2bucktail
Posted 6/2/2005 12:18 PM (#149444 - in reply to #149179)

Beautiful fish! Does anyone know if more than just the true Great Lakes spotted strain of muskies are being stocked into Green Bay? I was just looking at 10 photos of muskies caught in a Green Bay tributary since 1999 ranging from 31-51 inches. I netted most of them so I know they came from a Green Bay tributary. None of them have the St Clair type spotted markings this GB monster has - i.e. defined pale spots on a white background. All 10 of the photos I have show more of a barred pattern with only modest spotting. And the bars are very vivid/dark. I have seen a few other photos of GB fish that do have the defined pale spots.

Dave
wishin I caught that
Posted 6/2/2005 1:54 PM (#149460 - in reply to #149179)

That is an awesome fish for sure! I just don't recognize that stretch of shoreline anywhere on the fox river in GB? Maybe I'm missing it though, You have something there you will never forget! Congrats!
Parman99
Posted 6/2/2005 4:31 PM (#149478 - in reply to #149179)

Great looking fish...wish I saw that on the opener. My heart would still be racing
Bob
dogboy
Posted 6/2/2005 5:37 PM (#149484 - in reply to #149179)

Chalk another SLOBAPOTAMUS up for Wisconsin, within 2 years there will be a new world record controversy that we can all argue about, We are getting very close.
Just glad that the fish was released, hopefully healthy to drop all those eggs or SH@T out that 10lb carp!
Congrats dude, What color Rapala?haha
esox2
Posted 6/2/2005 9:34 PM (#149509 - in reply to #149179)

WOW! all i can say about that fish is wow
Shane Mason
Posted 6/3/2005 9:15 AM (#149556 - in reply to #149262)

Jason, yes the picture is cropped, but only the backround, I was the one who cropped it for him so I have seen the original backround and I can verify it. Backround is not from Mills Lac either, its from a lake we fish in Northern Manitoba for large northern, no muskie in it, so if anyone wants that spot they are more than welcome to it. There were also a couple of water spots I cleaned up. I was not trying to hide the fact that it was cropped, I left obvious shadows that dont match anything else in the picture. He only wanted to protect the area for those of us who do fish it which I greatly appriciate. You have seen what happened to the pressure that one Muskie hunter artical has done to the Fox River, its a fricken circus in the fall. And we didnt want the same to happen to the other areas of the Bay that word hasnt gotten out on. Its going to be bad enough this year with the pictures of big fish starting to pop up regularly.

As far as the vertical hold, dude didnt know any better, he was mainly a walleye fisherman, I have talked to him about it, and now he knows, end of story. If he had known at the time he wouldnt have done it. Up untill a few years ago I saw lots of vertical holds, that was before it was well known that it does cause harm to the fish. So for those that are still on your soap box, get over it, like I said the guy didnt know any better at the time. Just this morning I happened to look at the Sportsmans Connection Wisconsin muskie map book and right there on the cover was Joe Bucher vertically holding a very large 50+" fish from just a few years back. I am sure he didnt know any better at the time either.
Pike Master
Posted 6/3/2005 4:32 PM (#149616 - in reply to #149179)

So the background is from Knee Lake i presume.
KARLOUTDOORS
Posted 6/4/2005 2:15 AM (#149639 - in reply to #149179)

I too give the guy all the credit he deserves. And I feel that its quite substantial. To catch a fish like that on light tackle while legally gunning for walleyes is an accomplishment. The fishing Gods were definitely on his side as well. AND the fish was released. We've heard of the sizable muskie caught while ice fishing, also Green Bay I believe, that ended up as exhibit A in the Wisc DNR vs. Joe Poacher about 2 yrs ago, once the fish reached the taxidermist. Surely other large fish have also been caught and kept out of season only to reach the taxedermist once the season opened. Yes I know anglers are slowly getting better at this and acting more responsibly.
I just wanted to give this guy a sincere congratulations on an awesome catch. Surely the catch of a lifetime, in season or not. As far as I see he will probably stick with walleyes from here on out. How do you top that fish???
Great Catch,
Karl
reelman
Posted 6/4/2005 3:18 PM (#149661 - in reply to #149179)

Not that it really matters one way or another but the guy who poached the musky out of Stuergon Bay a couple years ago was mounting it himself.
KARLOUTDOORS
Posted 6/4/2005 11:12 PM (#149690 - in reply to #149179)

Beaver
Posted 6/4/2005 11:58 PM (#149691 - in reply to #149179)

Yup, that's what we all dream of.
I give the guy credit for showing us the pictures. I just wanted to see her.
The gut on that thing is amazing. I tell ya, that whole area of Lake Michigan is full of trophy fish of all species from smallmouth to muskie to walleye to perch......you name it. The forage base is one of the keys. There is a multitude of fat rich fish for those fish to eat year round.
Now I just wish that the DNR would wake up before it's too late and turn the place into a trophy factory and manage it that way. I know that the walleyes have special regs, so do the smallies. If ever there was a place that I would love to see a 50" size limit, Lake Michigan and it's tributaries would be the right place.
Now if I can just get the #*^@ things to migrate south and get these feakin' salmon out of here I'd be a happy guy. I actually hate to drive by the beautiful Lake Michigan shoreline and look out there and know that it's managed for salmon and trout.
Bring on the muskies and the walleyes and the hell with the salmonoids.
My apologies to the guys who like to catch them and eat them a few times during the year. I worked on my brothers charter boat as a deck hand for ten years, and if I never catch another salmon it won't break my heart. I hate the way they taste. They stink worse than a muskie, and I just wish that there were some other fish around here every time that I look out at that huge pond so close to my home.
I think that I'm going to have to check out the Green Bay area for muskies and walleyes both. Perhaps I'll hire a guide for a weekend and take my daughter smallmouth fishing and let her fight fish until she can't anymore, and then take a tour of the area.
Shouldn't be too crowded with water that size.
Beav
H2O
Posted 6/5/2005 7:39 AM (#149695 - in reply to #149691)

There is a 50" limit on Lake Mich and its tributaries, north of Hwy 10.
Beaver
Posted 6/5/2005 7:56 AM (#149696 - in reply to #149695)

Thanks H2O- Even more reason for me to stay closer to home.
Beav
Hunter4
Posted 6/6/2005 10:52 PM (#149882 - in reply to #149179)

Hi all,

I've been out of town and when I saw this fish I just about keeled over. She is a beautiful. In season or not that is a big fish. You have to give the man his props for landing a fish like that on walleye gear. I'm sure glad there are no trophies swiming around Wisconsin.

Thanks

Dave