Boat Slut?
Posted 5/31/2005 1:43 PM (#149166)
Subject: Boat Slut?

As a frequent Boat Slut what is the proper Etiquette? In other words what are the Do's and Don'ts of being a Boat Slut

Thanks
JohnMD
Posted 5/31/2005 2:00 PM (#149168 - in reply to #149166)
Subject: RE: Boat Slut?

Treat my Boat as if it were yours, Don't be slamming compartment lids and throwing things around

Bytor
Posted 5/31/2005 2:07 PM (#149169 - in reply to #149166)

Don't be spilling coffee.
Better yet, don't bring any coffee.
mikie
Posted 5/31/2005 2:10 PM (#149170 - in reply to #149166)

When I slut, I try to offer something, be it gas money, lunch, drinks, etc. I try not to bring fifty pounds of tackle and 15 rods, and always bring my own life vest and make sure I have a current license for the state. No sense in getting the boat's owner hassled. Bringing a Positive Muskie Attitude is essential! m
muskymeyer
Posted 5/31/2005 2:10 PM (#149171 - in reply to #149166)

Or spill a can of chew, or cheetos, or sunflower seeds, or burn holes in the carpet with cigar or cigarette butts. Treat it better than if it was your own. I used to use a buddys boat for a few days each summer and he said he never worried because I took better care of it than he did.

Corey Meyer

Edited by muskymeyer 5/31/2005 2:11 PM
lardonastick
Posted 5/31/2005 2:11 PM (#149172 - in reply to #149166)

Don't figure 8 in front of me when I have a follow. Just be ready to net my fish.
Mr.Pike
Posted 5/31/2005 2:16 PM (#149173 - in reply to #149172)

dont drop your cigarette cherry in the boat and make sure to clear the side of the boat when spitting copenhagen hawkers, even though i dont always lol
Big_Daddy_EE
Posted 5/31/2005 2:24 PM (#149174 - in reply to #149166)

At least offer to pay for a portion of gas or other expenses.....bring enough beer for everyone.
Posted 5/31/2005 2:38 PM (#149175 - in reply to #149166)

Split costs 50/50.

Don't bring things that will stain or crumble. Bring a rag. Keep a clean boat. Ask what you can do to help load & unload.
johnson
Posted 5/31/2005 2:45 PM (#149177 - in reply to #149166)

try not to dribble or shake off on the carpet! If done at least splash some water on it. Oh and only one weagle at a time....

Edited by johnson 5/31/2005 2:46 PM
jonnysled
Posted 5/31/2005 3:06 PM (#149182 - in reply to #149166)

don't act like you're scared to use my boat, that's what it's for ... it's not a shrine. be a good egg and have a good time and don't get all strung out like you're waiting for me to make all the decisions (unless i'm guiding you). it's a team effort and if you're back there biting your lip and not talking, you're not helping the team boat any fish.

throw a bait wherever and whenever you want and if you get into a snag, we'll get the sumb!tch out. and when we're plowing into the trash to get it, don't get all sensitive and be afraid to get snagged in the trash again. that's where the fish live, so that's what we're supposed to be doing, right?

if i'm gliding side-to-side and you want to glide go up and down or erratic. at topwater time, if i grab my jackpot or a weagle, grab a prop-top or something with different action. if you decide to change baits, let me know so i can adjust to your change. if you want to throw something in my box ... have at it (except captain one-eye and the clown, but i'll let you know that in advance cause they'll be under my feet). the only thing i expect is you make sure your line and leader is good.

remember that a good boat slut is there for a reason, they were probably asked to be there and therefore have half the responsibility for the success of the boat. participate and get involved and most of all have fun.
mreiter
Posted 5/31/2005 3:14 PM (#149186 - in reply to #149166)

Being the frequent boat slut that I am it is a good idea to ask the slutee what is to be expected of you. Maybe he wants dribble on his carpet to keep mice or coons out during storage??!!! Doesnt spat chow work better than water on the carpet when bringing a fish in the boat for a 15 minute picture shoot?

Seriously. Just use some common sense. If you are a good boat slut you wont be sitting at home wondering why the slutee has not called you to go again.........:-)

Happy Slutting!!!!!

MR
tomcat
Posted 5/31/2005 3:26 PM (#149187 - in reply to #149166)

ask if you smoke cigrettes before you just light up. Seems like smokers like to burn other people's boat carpet and boats when smoking and casting at the same time. ask before you light up.
Thrasher330
Posted 5/31/2005 3:35 PM (#149189 - in reply to #149166)

Johnnysled's got it... especially the 'speak up while fishing' part! Teamwork helps...

If it's a day trip, and I asked you to come, no money is necessary [I'm going anyway].

Don't intentionally beat on the rig, treat it with some respect... but sh** happens [apply some common sense].

Simple: Just ask, 'what do you want me to bring?'... generally it's just the basics [if you have them]:
- if you have gear, bring it: couple rods, fav baits [or you can use mine], whatever...
- no life jacket [I have that covered]
- raingear [if...], hat, sunglasses, etc...
- we consolidate cooler stuff to save space
- take care of your baits/hooks [I don't want to be the biggest thing you catch that day;]
- be a GREAT net person [grin]
- get to know my camera before it's needed [GRIN]
- have a sense of humor, it's fishing, not brain surgery....

She be all about da TUDE... yessir, that 'tude getcha some'a dat MOJO...........
Robby D
Posted 5/31/2005 3:37 PM (#149190 - in reply to #149166)

Being a huge Boat Slut, you may consider the following:

1) Pay for the launch fee if any.

2) Bring a cooler with Water, beer and snacks

3) Offer to buy lunch if you stop.

4) Offer ideas if you have any, it is a group effort out there.

5) do not screw up the net job if given the opportunity

6) Be on time if you are meeting at the lake.

Have fun and always say thank you for asking me today. remember the person with the boat pays for
all sorts of stuff that you do not have to worry about. (eg the boat, insurance , storage, gas, repairs etc) If you make it easy for them to bring you, chances are they may ask again!

Good luck

Rob
Beaver
Posted 5/31/2005 6:49 PM (#149213 - in reply to #149166)

I don't think that anybody minds boat sluts as long as they contribute.....monetarily is a given if you travel with the boats owner in his vehicle. I don't think that too many guys look for gas money for their boat unless you are on an all-dayer or a weekend. I know if I fish all day, I won't burn more than a couple of gallons of gas, unless I'm on a big body of water and running to a lot of spots. I have been known to fish for a weekend with a friend, and then make them stop before we go home so I can top off his boat and vehicle.
Don't bring lots of lures and rods, but do bring something good for lunch if you go somewhere and plan to fish all day. I've been known to pack a few foot-long Subways when I go. Always a welcome sight. A SMALL cooler can hold plenty of food and drink for two. Think small. Small cooler. Small tackle box. Ask before you go...as far as what type of lures you'll be expecting to use.
Don't even think about smoking, and whatever you do, don't flip anybody off or swear and act rude to anybody out on the water or at the landing. I know one guy that I took out once. We had a great time and caught fish, but he started shooting off his mouth at the landing because someone wasn't very skilled at backing in their trailer. I fish that lake a lot, and will never take him anywhere for fear he might lip off to someone that I might know or might have seen on the lake before.
Ask the Captain before you do anything, no matter how stupid it seems. It's their rig, it's their rules. Most of all, have a good time. If you are a boat slut, you don't want your relationships to be one night stands. You have control over that. Act like someone that would like a return trip. Be polite. Be helpful when it comes to launching and landing the boat. Again, ask what the Captain expects from you.
And make sure to stay downwind of the Captain if you fart.
Beav
Posted 5/31/2005 10:12 PM (#149223 - in reply to #149166)

The splashwell is where you should dribble if you have to, not from the front of the boat. If you have to spit a loogie/chew, be down wind. Don't wipe your feet off in the nice fresh GREEN grass before you board the boat. The grass may be wet and make you think you are cleaning them off but you actually pick up the green color on your shoe and rub it into the carpet. In the fall when you are wearing your nice warm comfy giant boots, take a look at the bottom for mud and goose duty before you climb into the boat. Don't step on the seats. Don't rest your foot up on the motor cowling. Don't bring any spray insect repellent; it will ruin anything plastic including expensive GPS/Graph screens, widshields, etc. Bring a postitive attitude and have fun.
muskyboy
Posted 5/31/2005 10:26 PM (#149224 - in reply to #149166)

I fish with many people and it is best to buy lunch and offer free lodging when appropriate. Just fished with John MD for a few hours Monday and bought him some Cigarettes. He let me have some Diet Pepsi so it was payment in kind. Troy Z has the fastest boat I have been on, but Muskie Medic's and Archery Nut's new rides are mighty nice too. Musky Fishing Kevin and Jimmy Z have let me fish out of their boats many times, so I am very appreciative. Jimmy Z is even letting Todd M and I use his boat for the FRV Fall Challenge on the Chain, so I am truly grateful. Hope to check out Tuffy1's new boat soon, and Shep and I, and Slamr and I are going to get out at some point. Boat slut extrodinaire
ToddM
Posted 5/31/2005 10:26 PM (#149225 - in reply to #149166)

Now that I am a boat slut for the foreseeable future, I am basically courteous and pay for something whether it be gas, meals or whatever it is. Just have fun and try to keep hooking up with people. Been a fun year so far for me, I just hope i can keep getting out every weekend.
Eyesore
Posted 6/1/2005 12:24 AM (#149230 - in reply to #149166)

what are the Do's and Don'ts of being a Boat Slut

Sluts on my boat are expected to

1. Bring the beer
2. Operate the trolling motor (I hate doing that)

Meet these 2 simple requirements and you can be a slut in my boat.
Shep
Posted 6/1/2005 8:29 AM (#149246 - in reply to #149230)

Boat slut requirements in my boat? I really don't have any, cept for don't expect to bring all your 600+ lures in the boat with you. Right Gregger! I don't expect anything, except you don't whiff on the net job! hehehe

Eat, drink, smoke(just be careful), fish, and have fun. As a former smoker, I'm not one of the typical former smokers who howl when they even see a cigareete lit up outside. Go ahead, it doesn't bother me. Just don't offer one! hehehe If you bring coffee, make sure it's hot, black, strong, and you bring some for me. If it gets spilled, well, that's why I bought a $300 pressure washer. To clean my $25,000 boat.

If we are trolling, it's ok it you fall asleep(jlong)hehehe. You won't be for long. And it's OK to stop fishing, and just float around during lunch/snack breaks. I'm too old to go 14 hours all day anymore. And when I get closer than you normally do to the structure, don't laugh(KLY and Matt!) I'd rather make 3 shorter, accurate casts to your one normal looong cast! If you want to fish a particular spot, SAY something.

Edited by Shep 6/1/2005 9:01 AM
MikeHulbert
Posted 6/1/2005 8:44 AM (#149249 - in reply to #149166)

don't burn the carpet

pick up the weeds that you drop in the bottom of the boat

at least try and help split the cost

don't complain about the spot you are fishing

don't bring coffee in the boat, it never fails, it always get spilled

dont' bring enough crap to stay 5 months on the boat. You need a rod, a few lures, and share a cooler.... No reason to bring 4 rods, 4 lakewoods, 2 coolers, etc...

be polite!
sorenson
Posted 6/1/2005 8:48 AM (#149250 - in reply to #149166)

Mike, you can't take people along for free anyway - you just get accused of blatant self-promotion!
K.
BNelson
Posted 6/1/2005 10:11 AM (#149259 - in reply to #149166)

Bring the beer!
Donnie
Posted 6/1/2005 11:09 AM (#149265 - in reply to #149166)

I have alot of boat sluts all year, but in general, they are very, very positive and look out for the best interests of the boat and BIG fish! What I don't ever want, is someone to leave the Q-Beam on while laying on my carpet....like I did to Craig Eversoll's boat....OUCH!! Sorry Craig!!

My list:

1.) Bring a good attitude!
2.) Don't get upset the fish aren't biting
3.) Try to spit overboard, but if you don't, no big deal
4.) Pull the trolling motor up and down
5.) Bring food/beer
6.) Split the gas

Gas for the boat: $37.15
Beer & Sandwiches for the day: $26.40
Dinner afterwards: $42.29
Watching Donnie fall in: PRICELESS!

Donnie
Yeti
Posted 6/2/2005 1:25 AM (#149359 - in reply to #149166)

I host a slew of sluts, a heirim so to speak. all summer, from chix im trying to teach to my 9 yr old twin cousins.
sorry, this is long, but probably all true....hey, no one said keep the post clean.

-don't laugh at me when i put on frankencreeper, he will raise that 'ski that you whiff on by not figure 8'ing (dad)
-don't laugh at my 6 rods, u can use them too!
-don't say "huh" when i advise "lures in", it means muskie sighted, CATCH HIM i dont care about "my fish, or who raised him" GET the FISH HOOKED, i'll net him!!!
-pay attn when i learn ya on the camera and vid cam, the faster you are with it, the better for ALL involved, including mr. skito'!, and for gods sake, put the lanyard on ur wrist.
-a stowmaster net is not a hard thing to open, my 65 year old arthritis riddled dad can do it, my 100lb girlfriend can do it, my crippled mother can do it, but DON"T complain if i leave it open cuz you CANT open it, and it takes up some space!
-spit, pee, spill.....but don't talk or drop s**t/make noise during "LURES DOWN" time! lol
-drag a worm/minnow on a bobber if thats what u're into, but u're hook shall be barbless and quick striked.
-Please, ask me why we're fishing here....like all muskie fisherman, i love to impart muskie wisdom on my partners, and am willing to explain to you well into monday mornings work emails why we fished that spot/spots.
-don't point out the chick in the bikini 50 yards away by saying "look at those"....chances are, they heard you, and better chances are, i already have my binoculars in hand getting and giving a mental oogle.
-bring rain gear, and for gods sake, put it on when i say "put the raingear on". i am a muskie fisherman, i LIVE for cold fronts, can smell them a mile away, and usually know when, where, to what frequency they'll hit.
-bring a magazine, gameboy, whatever for when u get bored.....but please, please, turn ur cell phone off. nothing's more irriatiing than a ringing phone and a blabbing partner all day. mine is there for emergencies, and it's on silent.
-don't say you had a follow when u didn't. it gets me all worked up and i want to expose my weagle. chances are, i was watching the end of ur retrieve anyway (steveO). i am a muskie fisherman, LOL, i am trained to see flashes 8 ft under shallow running baits from 9 feet across the boat 180ยบ behind me.
-don't point, get loud, exclaim, stare, jawdrop, or otherwise F around during a follow, unless u're my girlfriend (she makes up for it later, you don't). LURES DOWN!!!!
-don't make me say LURES DOWN twice!!! bring a #*^@ed hearing aid (dad)
-don't be afraid to say LURES DOWN to me, just be relatively sure its not a sucker surfacing 20 ft away and DONT SAY IT LOUD.
-don't ask how fast my boat goes, i don't care.
-don't ask why i don't want a beer, my boat is too fast to drink and drive and u are important to someone.
-obviously bring what u eat and drink. dont leave laying garbage around my rig.
-don't point at hawks taking squirrells off the ground, i seen it, i was hoping he'd drop the squirrel in the water and we could quick strike him with a 5 oz weight.
-DO point out that big black thing swimming towards the boat, it's probably a god d a m n e d bear, and chances are it aint comin our way to tell us it just shat in the woods.
-point out that dead body, cuz...chances are, its a dead body, don't cast toward it either, it's dead, it stinks.
-fart, and fart loudly. it was funny in 2nd grade, its still f'n funny now, just don't shart.
-if my mom calls to tell us dinner's ready, don't remind me every 5 mins that dinner was ready 30 mins ago. shes my mom, i know her breaking point. eat ur snacks
-when figure 8'ing a following fish, SET THE HOOK TOWARDS THE TAIL if he bites.
-don't ask me why i paid 260 for that Esox rod and not want to give it back over when i hand it to you and say "u tell me" after u cast it 2 times.
-by god, if we boat a fish, and another boat comes over a rubberneckin' asking what we caught it on...LIE!! i don't care if there is a 20" legend bait hanging out of the fish's mouth...LIE....say "jig and a white grub". if all else fails, tell them the darned thing jumped in the boat and got hooked on ur bait by accident.
-dont' tell me how sore u're wrists are...here again..chances are....mine are too. my back, feet and shoulders hurt too. try keeping us on track in this #*^@ed current and wind with the TM and casting (semi accurately). plus, if u're there, it means my girl probably aint, so my wrist was sore b4 i went to sleep last night.
-expect a quiz of what you learned today over the fire tonite.
-don't let me fall into throwing bass assasins just cuz the smallies are biting
-bring all ur baits, every box, 1/16th oz jig and all the goofy lures u stole from your dad. i'll steal them back for him
-don't sweat it if you snag in 2 ft of water and lose that goofy Ryobi joined minnow that ur dad gave you. i marked it on the gps. i'll get it when the waters down and give it back to him.
-don't throw garbage in my river.
-don't acknowlege jetskiers
-bend your knees when boat wake is coming
-ask/learn how to work the trolling motor
-kiss ur first fish
-figure 8 that 10 inch smallmouth while singing "i wish i was a muskie, but i know i'm really muskie bait!"
-don't assume any bait is too big, running too fast or too gaudy if the fish are active, . u're fishing a river. the fish are strong, fast and used to eating big weird stuff.
-don't assume any bait is too small, they are also lazy fish.
-"muskies are not smart folks, their brain is the size of a pea!" steve worral, pittsburgh muskie expo 2005 seminar.
-expect the fishing equivalent of a jackass episode when fishing with me, including but not limited to: catching dead catfish on tubes, mad beavers, hooks stuck everywhere including each other, dead bodies, bats, farts, sharts and shopping carts. remember, we're fishing a river.
-when u get punchdrunk from lack of sleep cuz we stayed up till 3am bsing and drinking beers and got up at 530, don't be ashamed to tell me u wish u had an enclosed indoor patio with a corner stove, chances are.... i wish you did too. i also, at that point am punchy too and might tell you in a dead nutz impression of gary the retard (sorry, no disrespect meant there) how i wish i was a gecko on the glass of your indoor patio. i won't be ashamed while im trying to lick my eyes either while telling you this. so don't be ashamed to get a little abstract from lack of sleep. i am wierd, be weird too.
-if u're italian, tell my mom her spaghetti sauce is good
-tell me you love fishing with me even though i know you hate it
-chances are........ if u never fished with me, u'll be back. you get fed good, u WILL laugh, get ur balls busted, hooked (sometimes i throw baits to/at people), drunk at night by the fire, farted on, tested, witness wierd #*#*e....if we're lucky, we'll c one, if the powerball odds are in our favor, we'll boat one.

sorry for the brainstorm, i'm punchy.
jonnysled
Posted 6/2/2005 9:26 AM (#149399 - in reply to #149166)

NOW THAT SHOULD BE A FEATURE ARTICLE!!!! ..... great read and basically felt warm and cozy like i was on the wednesday of a week's trip to LOTW with my buddies Kev and Scottie!! .....
esoxlady
Posted 6/2/2005 9:49 AM (#149409 - in reply to #149166)

Perfect

Can I boat slut with you sometime ?
The Yeti
Posted 6/2/2005 12:40 PM (#149447 - in reply to #149166)

sure!
C.Painter
Posted 6/2/2005 1:30 PM (#149455 - in reply to #149447)

NOW THAT.....WAS CLASSIC!!!! VERY ENTERTAINING!!!!! LMAO!!!

COry
Muskiefool
Posted 6/2/2005 8:03 PM (#149496 - in reply to #149166)

Holy F@(%!&G shart dude that rocks the party, I just hope the 2 of us never see the inside of a boat together, one word SWEET, cripes, I was into dead bodys way before anyone else, that is tru real deal I love it ,Big ups from the fool Yetiman.
The Yeti
Posted 6/2/2005 8:30 PM (#149501 - in reply to #149496)

yeah, the one spot i fish hath actually been christened "the morgue" by us due to the 2 recently dead (god bless them) removed from there.
Muskiefool
Posted 6/3/2005 4:12 PM (#149615 - in reply to #149166)

With my luck I can't understand why I hav'nt snagged a floater saw a jacket submerged a year ago looked a bit freaky at 40