Sand Cat vs Suick
BruceKY
Posted 5/5/2005 10:14 PM (#146087)
Subject: Sand Cat vs Suick

I have been looking at the Sand Cat in catalogs. I am wondering if they are a dive and rise bait like the Suick? Do they have a side-to-side action? Never seen one in person. I have a couple Cobb's jerk baits (not the CD type) that I realy like. They kind of have a dive and rise with a side-to-side glide too. Best of both worlds. I have not heard much about the Sand Cat. What do others think of them? How do they compare with other jerk baits? Bobbie, Burt, Sledge, etc.

Thanks,
Bruce
jonnysled
Posted 5/5/2005 10:26 PM (#146088 - in reply to #146087)
Subject: RE: Sand Cat vs Suick

i call the sandcat my "vacation" bait. when i'm absolutely exhausted and feel like i can't pull another bait during the LOTW marathon, i put on the sandcat. it is easy to pull and works pretty well for me. it's basically an up-down bait, but i wouldn't compare it to a bobby or a suick. it is it's own bait and catches fish. you will need to replace hooks on these baits to beef them up. with mine i have to reel a couple three or so rotations before the first pull to get it started down, but i haven't done much weighting ... bought mine after a buddy boated a 50"er on one, and i'm glad i've got one.
Slamr
Posted 5/5/2005 10:26 PM (#146089 - in reply to #146087)

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/videos/08.26.2010/2825/Spring.Bay.O...

watch the middle of the video, where Mr. Worrall is working the suick. side to side, darting with erratic action. I might to have to throw the suick a little on Sunday, now that i think about it.
esoxlady
Posted 5/6/2005 11:01 AM (#146141 - in reply to #146087)

I have a couple of sand cats and agree that they are the least effort bait to throw in my box.

Definately not a Suick movement type bait - but a great bait for working shallow water and when you need to finesse a spot such as small cut or hole in the weeds / rocks.

I have several other Big Fork lures and use them all regularly- the paint job on them is fantastic.

I lost a huge Mille Lacs fish on the large sand cat when the fish destroyed my leader.(note to self- check terminal tackle!!!)

Door County musky
Posted 6/6/2011 10:09 PM (#501594 - in reply to #146087)

I will give you a little different view on the issue. A sand cat can have the dive and rise action like a suik, however the bait is much more productive when worked irratically. If you rip it with short quick bursts the bait will dive and rise as well as glide 2 - 3 ft side to side. In order to acheive this action it is most def. not a vacation bait and will tire you out, but it is incredibly productive on warm sunny days. Last weekend I out fished two others in the boat throwing bucktails, catching 5 fish as well as the weeks largest at 46. Every fish T-boned the bait, the sign of a very active strike. The sand cat is an awesome bait and can be fished 3 productive ways; straight retrrieve, dive and rise, and my favorite the non stop rip retrieve.
musky chimes
Posted 6/7/2011 3:28 PM (#501697 - in reply to #501594)

sand cats and suicks are different baits but both should find their way into most boxes. Sand cat has a lot more action now that it has changed its design. It has more tail wobble than its earlier version and really its not the same bait at all. Its gone from a slash and dart style to a hatchet bait. I like it more now but the old ones seem to fill a roll that the new ones dont. They are just another tool in the hunt for mr. 50
Muskyfisher
Posted 6/7/2011 4:34 PM (#501723 - in reply to #146087)
Subject: Re: Sand Cat vs Suick

I live just a few miles from the guy that makes them they have a nice dive and rise with alittle wobble like musky chimes said. there is a video on you tube if you type in big fork river he is on there fishing the bait pretty interesting video
Muskyfisher
Posted 6/7/2011 4:40 PM (#501728 - in reply to #146087)
Subject: Re: Sand Cat vs Suick

The video is called musky fishing back in the bush
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 6/8/2011 9:39 AM (#501820 - in reply to #146088)

jonnysled - 5/5/2005 11:26 PM

i call the sandcat my "vacation" bait. when i'm absolutely exhausted and feel like i can't pull another bait during the LOTW marathon, i put on the sandcat. it is easy to pull and works pretty well for me.

lol i like that, im gonna start using that, my vacation bait would definitely be a propbait lol easiest most entertaining bait ever created, IMO
jakejusa
Posted 6/8/2011 12:44 PM (#501844 - in reply to #146087)

I have two sand cat's and a trunkload of suicks. I've found the cat to be a different action lure all together. I have mine weighted and I get a jerkbait into glidebait action from them. Fish do like them for sure. I do not compare them to a suick though. My boat normally doesn't float without both baits.
lifeisfun
Posted 6/8/2011 1:46 PM (#501860 - in reply to #146089)

Slamr - 5/5/2005 11:26 PM

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/videos/08.26.2010/2825/Spring.Bay.O...

watch the middle of the video, where Mr. Worrall is working the 9" weighted suick. side to side, darting with erratic action. I might to have to throw the suick a little on Sunday, now that i think about it.

BruceKY
Posted 6/8/2011 6:51 PM (#501937 - in reply to #146087)

Thanks for the responses. I have been waiting for 6 years! LOL

Actually I think it is pretty cool that this resurfaced after such a long time.