Trophy Musky in Wisconsin, for the record.
MRoberts
Posted 4/29/2005 11:01 AM (#145068)
Subject: Trophy Musky in Wisconsin, for the record.

I don’t know if this post will survive the weekend, but I want to make a point on a serious note.

I don’t think any body is running around saying that there are no trophy musky in the State of Wisconsin, other than the obvious tongue and cheek stuff. I think the argument is that there could be MORE trophy musky in the State.

I have seen in a number of posts on this board and others and I have heard people say, that people are trying to say there are NO big muskies in this State. Becasue every time the topic of a big Wisconsin fish comes up someone sarcasticly says, "O I thought there was no trophy fish in Wisconsin" I really don’t think that is the case. The objective is to increase the number of trophy fish from what we already have, in an attempt to make it easier to catch them. Which really is the ultimate goal after all.

The more we work together the easier it will be to get it done.

Nail A Pig!

Mike
muskyboy
Posted 4/29/2005 11:07 AM (#145069 - in reply to #145068)
Subject: RE: Trophy Musky in Wisconsin, for the record.

Big fish still swim in Wisconsin, but let's work to improve the density and distribution of big gals across the state.

New fisheries are emerging, but it would be nice to strengthen the entire system!
jonnysled
Posted 4/29/2005 11:28 AM (#145074 - in reply to #145068)

i'm possibly guilty of some "tongue-in-cheek", but when i saw the attitude and tactics played out in the Milwaukee Journal article last weekend it looked to me that the "debate" sent a generally negative tone to going to fish "trophy" muskies in Wisconsin and it aggrivates me that it comes from "light" data with an aggressive agenda and isolates the real catches we know happen often. to me it's all in the size and forage base of water ... how many MN. plates might be in Green Bay this year? BIG WATER = BIG FISH .... we just have a more limited "big water" system choice, that doesn't change the beauty of the small lakes, towns and businesses that make the northern regions a great destination for musky fisherman. i could have doubled the statistics reported on +50" wisconsin catches during a couple of those years just from people i know, none of which reported them for any "statistics".
Muskydr
Posted 4/29/2005 11:50 AM (#145079 - in reply to #145068)

Other than to fish for walleyes or smallies or salmon I don't think ANY angler from Minnesota would waste time in fishing Green Bay, get real.
sworrall
Posted 4/29/2005 11:57 AM (#145083 - in reply to #145074)

Mike,
That's the goal, I agree. I did get several posted and emailed comments that I was either mistaken or flat out lying about the fish I catch here and see here in Oneida though, so I have a tendency to do the tongue in cheek thing more than I should.

Keep up the great questions and comments, sir. There's alot to consider about this issue, and the more we ask, the more we learn.

DR,
Whisper 'world record here' a couple times, and they will come. As the fishery there builds with the Lake St. Claire fish, Bay of Green Bay and associated waters might just be one of the premier places to go to hunt a 50# plus fish, the ONE for most folks. Maybe Winnebago and associated waters eventually, too.

Georgian Bay doesn't appear to be easy, probably isn't the place to go for premier action water (even lots of big fish action) and can burn a guy pretty well, yet folks across the muskie range head that way every year, in pretty good numbers. One never is satisfied with one's own back yard...

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMAG0004.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMAG0004.JPG (82KB - 99 downloads)
C_Nelson
Posted 4/29/2005 12:37 PM (#145100 - in reply to #145068)

BIG musky in the Fox River and Green Bay??? No way!!! With all of those chemicals being pumped into the river the sturgeon have just grown teeth. Been catching them funny looking "sturgeon" over there since the late 80's and early 90's. Heck, my girl friend(now wife) and the rest of my family thought I was headed up there (grew up in Manitowoc) to fish walleye. Little did they know what I had accidently come across. Just played dumb and did not do it a lot so not to bring a lot of attention to anything.

Tried the "bay" a few times, but am going to really try to do some damage this year. All I am looking for is that one hit, just that one hit.

Chuck
B420
Posted 4/29/2005 1:05 PM (#145107 - in reply to #145068)

You could shout world record at the top of your lungs and you still aren't gonna have guys from MN going there. With a potential state record released last year out of Mille Lacs and numerous fish over 50" last year, MN guys aren't going anywhere but their home state or Canada to chase to a record.
sworrall
Posted 4/29/2005 1:41 PM (#145117 - in reply to #145107)

What the heck is it with this subject that everyone has to come unglued over where the next big fish will come from or where the hottest fishery is? I submit one needs to head over to fish with Richard Collin or one of the guides in that area, if big muskies are the only criteria.

I see MN plates at the landing on Pelican every year.
I see MN plates at the Landings at Bone, for gosh sake, and that's supposed to be a really bad place for nice fish.
I even see an occasional Minnesota plate on the little 500 acre lake by my house.

If a 60" plus fish is caught at Bay of Green Bay OR Mille Lacs, the muskie anglers will come. From everywhere.
TUFFY
Posted 4/29/2005 1:46 PM (#145119 - in reply to #145117)

Right on Steve.
jonnysled
Posted 4/29/2005 1:54 PM (#145120 - in reply to #145068)

looks like a big Boom'er Steve
tinley mike
Posted 4/29/2005 2:07 PM (#145122 - in reply to #145068)

hey mr sworrall,
was that fish in the picture caught on george? that scar looks pretty familiar.
muskynightmare
Posted 4/29/2005 6:40 PM (#145168 - in reply to #145068)

I know exactly where that is, and I aint tellin. Nana nana na
MuskieMedic
Posted 4/29/2005 9:06 PM (#145177 - in reply to #145068)

Me too!!
greenduck
Posted 4/30/2005 9:40 AM (#145206 - in reply to #145068)

b420,

WORLD RECORD FISH! WORLD RECORD FISH! Wow! That was easy. I didn't know that was all it would take to keep Mn. anglers in Mn. Now if it only worked for those flatlanders!
Ha, Ha!

Bill C.
sworrall
Posted 4/30/2005 11:32 AM (#145211 - in reply to #145206)

I had an interesting exchange with a fellow from the DNR last night about the phone calls and emails received recently about big fish caught here in the North over the last couple years. It would seem there is a 'cult of silence' here, an interesting aspect of our social muskie fabric. I took some heat for posting the picture you see on this thread because it "will bring all sorts of muskie anglers to that lake, and we won't even be able to use the landing". One angler let me have it pretty good!!

The numbers of big girls turned in the Vilas CMM were more than the entire MI Lunge Log accounted for in the entire state.

It's tough to get real numbers when anglers are reluctant to give it up. I hope to have some time next week to get back on the phone and see what I can pin down for numbers here in Wisconsin of reported 50" fish.
greenduck
Posted 4/30/2005 12:05 PM (#145217 - in reply to #145068)

I couldn't agree more! I stated this recently when discussing the M.I. numbers for Wisc. In 2004 it stated something like 5-50" in the state and then I received my Pastikas fishing catalog.
In it were featured 9-50" fish from 2004 in the Hayward area alone. These were the fish that were made known and pictures which were shared. Something isn't adding up..........
Bill C.

Edited by greenduck 4/30/2005 12:06 PM
muskie! nut
Posted 4/30/2005 12:37 PM (#145218 - in reply to #145217)

greenduck, you are right. Folks are being tghted lipped about what they catch here in WI. And who can blame them? These lakes here are small (or by comparison to MN) and can get a ton of pressure. You don't believe it? Just post a picture of a 50 and where you got it and you'll be lucky to find a parking spot the nest time there.
theedz155
Posted 5/1/2005 5:18 AM (#145251 - in reply to #145068)

It does go back to something mentioned earlier...water size.

I can tell you that when I catch that 50"+ fish that I saw last year on a small (I'm talking real small here, less than 100 acres) lake here in Wisconsin I'm not going to be telling many people about it. On the other hand a 50"+ out of Mille Lacs??? It's real easy to be vague about a spot or location when you're dealing with 40,000 acres as opposed to less than 100 acres.

Muskiefool
Posted 5/1/2005 9:47 PM (#145328 - in reply to #145068)

Hey soory about the bad rap but have you guys ever fished Mille Lacs, Leech, Cass, Big V we don't need to buy the extra lic. it's gonna be hard to get me to drive east unless the lakes here die which is very possible, the DNR has a knack for crisis management in this state, the tullibee is seemingly gone in Leech but up untill the time that you can't find anymore you can fill the back of your truck up with all the forage you can carry, Rough fish are the base when you destroy your foundation what happens? lets wait and see.