Jigs
Mr.Pike
Posted 4/26/2005 3:17 PM (#144671)
Subject: Jigs

what time of the year or conditions will you throw a jig and creature the most? i would assume early season high skys?
muskyboy
Posted 4/26/2005 3:44 PM (#144676 - in reply to #144671)
Subject: RE: Jigs

Cold front conditions when nothing else is working, but Mr. Worrall has shown the benefit of tossing them all the time
Phish Killer
Posted 4/26/2005 3:49 PM (#144677 - in reply to #144671)

All the time.
Esox1850
Posted 4/28/2005 1:08 PM (#144915 - in reply to #144671)

Cold fronts, working thick wood cover and using a brush guard, spring time sight fishing. Lots of applications with these things...
Mark H.
Posted 4/28/2005 1:10 PM (#144917 - in reply to #144671)

What PK said... Too many folks reserve jigs for less than favorable conditions... Agreed they can get the job done at times like that but are a good choice any time.
muskyone
Posted 4/28/2005 3:48 PM (#144952 - in reply to #144671)

I would add that the jig fished the way that I fish them is a poor choice as any kind of search bait. It is a great catching tool once you have found some fish. When fished the way that Steve Worrall fishes them however they would be a great choice when searching for fish or as a catching tool. I fish them very slowly while Steve makes much larger and longer hops and sweeps with his jig. Both systems work very well and will add a number of fish to your yearly total. Don't be afraid to experiment to find a method that works well for you. Many different styles and weights of jigs out there, just find the ones that work for your style of fishing and the conditions at the time & place.
Beaver
Posted 4/28/2005 4:00 PM (#144954 - in reply to #144952)

I love throwing jigs and Creatures when I have a very definite edge to follow, like a milfoil edge. I can work tight to the weeds by using a Chompers weedless jig head and working through the fringe weeds. I can also hit pockets in the milfoil as well. I also like to use them to target manmade structure on certain lakes. I've watched guys beat the hell out of boathouses and docks on The Eagle River Chain....a proven tactic, but seldom see anybody fish them with jigs as if I were flipping for bass. I'll also work around isolated cabbage clumps or cabbage edges, especially if I can work the shady side of the weedline. I'm also a big fan of using a jig as a throw back or go back lure, as in go back to a spot after you raise a hot fish. I'll throw into the area where the fish came from with a jig.
Nothing like feeling that "thump". That few second period between thump and hookset is one of the most exciting moments in fishing.
Beav
Dacron+Dip
Posted 4/28/2005 6:25 PM (#144972 - in reply to #144671)

I have a 1/2oz Herb Reed's (Lunker City) wedge jig and 7 inch white Bucher Reaper tail on the deck at all times from end of June thru December. I put the jig into a vice and pounded the under side of it flat with a hammer, so that it glides off and fall slow(er) (for a 1/2 ounce leadhead, at least). I throw it every single day I'm on the water and have never caught or moved a muskie on it. But it has been eaten by lake trout and pike over twelve pounds, some real big smallmouths and largemouths and two Augusts ago I got a walleye on it in that was 27 inches. I have every confidence that a muskie will pick it up soon. Under-utilzed bait that can be fished as efficiently as any jerkbait or glider. They don't have to be a slow, boring bait at all.

Steve W: could you put up that pic of your creature combos again, please?