Mille Lacs...The Big Pond...Trip?
Big Perc
Posted 4/26/2005 2:57 PM (#144669)
Subject: Mille Lacs...The Big Pond...Trip?

I am in the process of trying to schedule and little trip to Mille Lacs Lake in Minnesota and was wondering what everybody thought would be the best time...I went last year during the 3rd week of July and we saw a ton of fish but they wouldn't hit anything...I was think the second or third week of August this summer but didn't know what would be the best..we had Gregg Thomas as a guide last summer and he put us on some huge fish but they all had lock jaw...was thinking about calling and requesting his services again...he is a great guy and I really enjoyed sharing a boat with him...love his new ranger too...any help would be greatly appreciated...I don't think I could go earlier in the summer due to me having an internship with Northwestern Mutual Financial Network in Des Moines, IA...thanks in advance to all who contribute...my buddy hammered this 47"er last summer...fat one too...had a 22" girth...

Big Perc

Edited by Big Perc 4/26/2005 3:02 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Grant's muskie.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Grant's muskie.jpg (99KB - 70 downloads)
MACK
Posted 4/26/2005 3:12 PM (#144670 - in reply to #144669)
Subject: RE: Mille Lacs...The Big Pond...Trip?

Can't help ya with your trip scheduling questions. But, I love that pic. Great pic. I love how you can't see any land in the background. I sooooo need that right now. I need to get away from it all. That just looks very peaceful with the looming rain in the background. Great fishing condtions. Nice lookin' fish too.
Big_Daddy_EE
Posted 4/26/2005 4:32 PM (#144684 - in reply to #144669)

I think your August idea is a good one, as far as timing goes...September isn't a bad idea either.

I'm not sure how much luck you're going to have scheduling time with Greg Thomas, as I understand his season is fully booked for this year already. Certainly give it a whirl, but don't be surprised if he's booked. If that's the case, I would highly recommend the following folks as alternatives:

Jason Hammernick
Luke Ronnestrand
Steve Jonesi

Good luck on your trip....can't wait to get back up there myself.
Big Perc
Posted 4/26/2005 4:35 PM (#144685 - in reply to #144669)

Thanks for the advice...Jonesi is a friend of mine so I don't think that would be much of a problem...Gregg said when I talked to him this past winter at a show that he could hook us up with someone...either luke or jason...

Big Perc
muskyboy
Posted 4/26/2005 4:36 PM (#144686 - in reply to #144669)

Great picture of your friend with a 47, I also caught a 47 with Gregg last August!

I fished with Gregg the first week of August last year and did well, but it was a tough weekend in general. I would go around the full moon in August, September, or October, because I know Gregg will be staying up there and not heading back to KY in the Fall.

Late Fall is big heavy time!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(stevecrook47 compressed.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments stevecrook47 compressed.jpg (92KB - 76 downloads)
Mauser
Posted 4/27/2005 10:17 AM (#144773 - in reply to #144669)

I second the advice on fishing with Steve Jonesi, fished with him on LOTW and he's as good as they come. Great knowledge of the fish and their ways, good boat and just a hoot to be around. He would be my first choice as a guide in this area. Personally, I can't wait to get a chance to fish with him again and watch him take another "victory toast". Once again, good fisherman, good person, good friend..... enough said.

Just my $.02 worth
Mauser

P.S.

Steve, I'm still gonna get that "Stink-pickle Weagle " ..... one way or the other!!
esox50
Posted 4/27/2005 2:40 PM (#144826 - in reply to #144669)

BigPerc,

I don't know if it matters but we are planning to be up there the 3rd week of July (fishing with Gregg the 24 or 25th, don't remember off hand). I have talked to numerous people and the bite (especially the northern sand bite) should be on by then. Last year was odd everywhere. The cold spring really screwed things up for most. If you still think you're going to give Mille Lacs a try the 3rd week of July, PM me.