Weekend Reports?
sworrall
Posted 4/24/2005 11:05 PM (#144360)
Subject: Weekend Reports?

How did you do fishing the Muskie waters open to angling across Muskie Country this weekend?
husky_jerk
Posted 4/25/2005 7:13 AM (#144374 - in reply to #144360)
Subject: RE: Weekend Reports?

Fished the Fox Chain Sunday. Wind was brutal out of the nw at around 25-30 mph. Water temp was down to 51 after peaking in the 60's the week before. Caught a skinny 33 inch spot on a glider. We moved 4 other fish including a big girl who seemed to eat the figure 8. She turned and closed her mouth on the bait. I set the hooks when the bait dissapeared rather tha when I felt weight. I ended up moving the bait right out of her mouth. No hooks in that fish. Partner lost a mid 30-s boatside on a trap. 2 other neutral follows.
MikeHulbert
Posted 4/25/2005 7:31 AM (#144376 - in reply to #144360)

Where do I start....
Water temps: FALLING FAST, low 50's
Winds: 20-35 mph

Friday, looked at the weather, called my clients and asked them what they wanted to do. They saw and heard about the snow, sleet, rain, 38 degree temps, and 30 mph winds and decided to reschedule for July and again in the fall.

Since I live by the words of my good buddy Steve Herbeck, "You can't catch fish sitting on the f'ing couch.", I decided to go out and brave the elements.

Friday I started out on Webster, fished breaks for the first hour and half, had some lazy follows and most were small fish. With the drastic weather changes, I decided to change up my tactics. With the water temps falling fast, and the wind blowing hard, the bait fish had to move, and as muskies do, they followed right along with the shad. These fished moved off the flats and the first breaks and decided to chow down over the open water.

Saturday I fished by myself, boated 8 muskies: 31, 38, 37, 36, 37, 32, 34, 38 and missed by chances at two really nice fish, 45+ inchers. My brother Tom boated 4, 2 in the low 30's a 37 and a really nice 47

Sunday: Fished with my brother Tom, and we got 8 more. I scored one just over 40, a 45, low 30's, Tom boated 2 in the low 30's, then I scored again with a few fish in the low to mid 30 inch range, and Tom ended the day with another in the mid 30 inch range.

20 muskies, 1 2/3 days on the water. We stopped fishing at 1:30 on Sunday as Tom had to get back to Indy, and I was sick of the wind. A Hughes River Hughey was Tom's hot bait, and my perch Turmoil made by Jed of Bikini Bait Co. was my hot bait.

I can't believe it, I am still in shock. Who would have thought...major cold front, huge winds, snow, rain, sleet, etc... and the muskies went wild. Totally amazing. Photos of the big fish coming soon. I didn't take any photos of the 8 I caught by myself on Sunday, but Tom and my good buddy Todd Minor were right there to witness the action. One hell of a weekend for sure.

More info later...

Muskydr
Posted 4/25/2005 7:55 AM (#144380 - in reply to #144360)

Thats why they call it musky weather Mike!!!:) Good job!!
Serpant
Posted 4/25/2005 9:23 AM (#144399 - in reply to #144360)

After fishing "Hell with sticks" as Ryan (eagle tail) coined Brushy Creek, we managed to land a 38.5" incher. She followed my CJ's spinnerbait, which Brad Hoppe pointed out to be a hot lure for him on a MN lake that I frequent, and I caught her on my third swoop of a figure 8. Great way to start the season and first Iowa musky. It was windy and cold, but as the wind dyed down, we could really get into the back bays with out destroying props and scratching the boat (which we did anyway) and find somewhat shallow water. Out of the same spot, I caught two nice bucket mouths. On Sunday we didn't see or catch a thing.

Tough but fun lake to fish. Suprisingly, we didn't lose one lure, however came close with my CJ's double wrapped 15 ft up in a tree. But the branch came down.

Chris
MACK
Posted 4/25/2005 9:25 AM (#144400 - in reply to #144360)

Had our fair share of ups and downs this past weekend. We weren't skunked...which is a good thing...because if we were skunked..then I'd really be P.O.ed at myself.

Had a nice healthy 37 incher Saturday morning..but that was the only fish that made it's way into our boat from the Indiana water. Had a lot of great follows that kept peeking our interest to stick it out through the wind, waves, sleets, snow and rain this past weekend. One follow was a super tanker of a fish that I'd guesstimate to be in the mid to high 40 inch range at the least.

The big downside to this weekend was we were fishing some flats at one point and were blown quickly into very shallow water...more shallow than I even realized we were headed for. With the 30 mph consistent winds...the boat moves faster than you want it to. We got into shallow water and I ended up sucking up mud, muck and silt through the brand new Merc's cooling system. Needlesstosay...I'm experiencing some major motor problems now. I got the mud and muck cleared out of the motor's coolant passages and it now flows water through the cooling system again after it had stopped completely at one point. However...I think the damage has been done. The motor's now got a serious "miss" and sputtering and cutting in and out problem at wide open throttle...and it smelled hot. Go figure. Greeeat way to start of the '05 season. I dropped it off at a marina there on Wawasee yesterday before leaving town. I'm hoping to call the marina today to find out when they'll be able to look at it. Most marinas were telling me they're backed up a good, solid three weeks before they could get to me. Niiiiiiiiiiice. Such a heart warming feeling to know I potentially just fubbared my brand new motor. I tell ya.....if it's not one thing...it's another. It's always something.

Edited by MACK 4/25/2005 9:27 AM
muskyboy
Posted 4/25/2005 9:57 AM (#144406 - in reply to #144360)

Wow Mike, you and Tom smoked them this weekend, way to go!
EagleTail
Posted 4/25/2005 10:04 AM (#144408 - in reply to #144360)

It hurts to admit, but I got out-fished fair and square. Brown spinnerbaits were hot and I didn't have any. BC is a very interesting lake and one these MN boys aren't used to fishing. Never-the-less we adapted and managed to put a slimy in the boat (nice fish Serp).
My highlight of the weekend was running the new video camera......(nothing like dumb and dumber on camera!)

Jonesi, thanks for the help. I've got some GPS numbers for you if you want.

All in all, thanks Hawkeye's, we'll be back next spring.

Ryan
RiverMan
Posted 4/25/2005 10:22 AM (#144412 - in reply to #144360)

Congrats on some great fishing Mike!

Mack,

Maybe it's not as bad as you are thinking...could be that it's just a cooling problem still, you might be surprised.

Jed
www.bikinibaitcompany.com
muskycore
Posted 4/25/2005 10:33 AM (#144417 - in reply to #144360)

Wow Mike that's the kind of day I only hear stories about. Do you have a good tactic for locating shad and once you do how do you stay with them? Also if the shad are 10 feet down how do you work a bait above them?
Thanks and congrats!
MACK
Posted 4/25/2005 10:36 AM (#144420 - in reply to #144412)

RiverMan - 4/25/2005 10:22 AM

Congrats on some great fishing Mike!

Mack,

Maybe it's not as bad as you are thinking...could be that it's just a cooling problem still, you might be surprised.

Jed
www.bikinibaitcompany.com

I hope you're right. I do hope it's something simple and not too much damage has been done. Just knowing my luck...it's never a cheap and easy fix.
PFLesox
Posted 4/25/2005 11:56 AM (#144436 - in reply to #144360)

Perch Turmoil by BBC, hard to believe isn't it?
Ordered mine last week.
I imagine you had the lake pretty much to yourself too.
MikeHulbert
Posted 4/25/2005 12:12 PM (#144444 - in reply to #144360)

Paul, no doubt imagine that.... Perch Turmoil!!!! I knew it was only time before they would start smashing that thing. Just wish you would have been in the boat with me to share in the fun!!! Maybe this fall!!

Keep in touch man!
muskihntr
Posted 4/25/2005 7:45 PM (#144517 - in reply to #144360)

hey paul, drop me a email, im right next door to ya (Lansing here) [email protected]
john
ToddM
Posted 4/25/2005 10:03 PM (#144541 - in reply to #144360)

Mike Hulbert could catch a musky on a stick with a hook buried in it. The dude was on fire. So was Tom, I played his net man. Lots of fun, 3fters all day, snow, sleet that felt like somebody throwing sand in your face doing a balancing act, stumbling all over the boat for 12 hours and I could have fished 12 more.
Ty Sennett
Posted 4/26/2005 10:57 AM (#144611 - in reply to #144360)

Nice fish Mike. If I were you I would call in sick a few times this week.

Ty
PFLesox
Posted 4/26/2005 11:54 AM (#144626 - in reply to #144517)

John check your mailbox
muskihntr
Posted 4/26/2005 12:08 PM (#144629 - in reply to #144360)

have you thought of buying a lottery ticket this week mike????