Dead Musky
MuskyFeverMN
Posted 4/21/2005 10:26 PM (#144075)
Subject: Dead Musky

I know there is a thread dedicated to Mille Lacs netting, but I did not want to get lost in the mix. Today at the Landing by Myr Mar/ Garrison. I had the misfortune of talking to the DNR/ Netting fiasco heads. The netting crew caught and killed a 52" Muskie. The Conservation Officer said all they did was record it and cleaned it. This of course infuriated me. I know I am preaching to the choir but . . .

I am well studied and have many years studying native american culture under my academic belt. In all of this I have never seen nor read of any past native american era indiscriminately killing any of "gods" (not intended to be my definition of god) creatures. Nor did I see highly effective "whitemans" technology netting/ floats/gear. I believe these people are hiding behind a cutural ritual which has been lost in the masses. I believe that there are native americans (probably more that we know) who are ashamed at this practice, as it is not performed in the good faith and spirit of their honorable ancestors. I saw no native americans in their native regalia, adorned with beautiful beads, sharing wise stories about a good hunt. Rather, I saw greedy guys in blue jeans and high tops wasting "rough" less profitable fish in search of the cash cow walleye fillets ( biggest I saw est. 13 lbs). Personally, I would be ashamed to be native american with such a site. I am a mutt. I would hope if I saw Irish-Franco-Swede-Croatian doing the same thing, I would still be ashamed. Either way I am very sad fisherman. There has to be a better way to honor ones ancestors/ cultures.

I dont post often- i dont know the rules- I hope my rambling wont get pulled.

Mike
sworrall
Posted 4/21/2005 11:10 PM (#144079 - in reply to #144075)
Subject: RE: Dead Musky

The harvest isn't pretty, but it is the treaty confirmed right of the tribes. Our own Supreme Court affirmed that a couple years ago. As I said in another thread about this issue, every Spring I read that decision again, remind myself where I live, in the USA. Sometimes we all suffer from our past mistakes, this is one of those times.