Thank you Mark Hintz
dutchboy
Posted 4/20/2005 7:45 AM (#143765)
Subject: Thank you Mark Hintz

Thank you for your seminar at Joe's Sporting Goods in St. Paul last night.
I gathered some good information that I didn't know.
One thing you may want to change is take Q & A at the end of your presentation. All the questions ( which are good) did seem to put you a little bit behind.
On a strickly personal note, I was a little disappointed that you didn't take the opportunity to discourage the live bait question. I do agree that everyone has the right to use live bait. However with all the kids in the crowd it was a good time to mention that alot of people don't use live bait any more. I will say you looked a little uneasy when the question was asked.

All in all it was a great night, thank you and all of your sponsors for your time.
The Handyman
Posted 4/20/2005 7:58 AM (#143768 - in reply to #143765)
Subject: RE: Thank you Mark Hintz

Whats wrong with live bait anyway? Why discourage it? Just teach the correct way to fish it!! its just another tool!! Wish I could have been at that presentation, as I am sure Mr. Hintz had some excellent view points on ski`s!

Edited by The Handyman 4/20/2005 7:59 AM
Mark H.
Posted 4/20/2005 10:03 AM (#143796 - in reply to #143765)

Thanks for the feedback Brian, I had a great time and received some nice comments.

That was the most questions I've had throughout a seminar in a while and it had me hustling to stay within my alloted time frame, which is great. Seminars are best when they are interactive, it was challenging to complete the seminar in the time frame Joe's asked me to stay in but I think all in all, it went pretty well. And I too really liked the handful of kids that came out with their parents, I think they estimated about 65-70 total attendance.

Far as the live bait question toward the end of the seminar. It didn't catch me off guard as much as I was trying to finish up by 8:15 , that was the request from Joes, so people would have an opportunity to shop after the seminar.

The person really didn't have a question as much as a request, his request , "do you have any good stories about fishing with live bait"... Sure I do, I have lots of them but I'm running short on time...so I asked him if he was curious about anything specific? His reply, "do you use live bait?" Sure I do I replied...and then I elaborated a little bit.

My personal opinion on live bait is as I stated last evening: I believe it can be a very effective method under certain conditions and as I stated the only presentation method I encourage, is the use of "Lift off" or "Quick Strike" type rigs, hence my reference to Pete Maina's rubber band rigs that are pre-packaged for your convenience. And I stated, I never use or encourage the use of "J" hooks or any "swallow" type rigs, including circle hooks... I always lean on the side of caution for the fish as I'm sure you saw during the "release tools and fish handling" portion of the presentation.

One of the things I pride myself on as a guide/instructor is teaching people how they can safely and effectively use live bait. It is a tool that if used properly can be no more dangerous than using any other bait in which you set the hook as soon as the fish strikes.

As a suggestion, if you get the chance, check out Pete Maina's video titled, "Live Bait Techniques". One of the better illustrations I've seen on the safe and effective use of live bait for muskies (it can be applied to a variety of species). The method his video illustrates is one that many of us have been safely using for years. I have used a home-made version of that style rig for years and to be honest, of the few fish that I know were in trouble when I released them due to bad/deep hooking, none of them have ever been on a sucker rig.

Brian, Thanks again, I appreciate you stopping out and your feedback, it is helpful when considering revisions of my various presentations. Have a safe and enjoyable season and remember, "Knowledge of forage habits, keep an open mind, and spend your time on what matters most"...

mikie
Posted 4/20/2005 11:08 AM (#143803 - in reply to #143765)

Mark, you have just affirmed my earlier belief that you are a real class act. Keep up the good work, m
esoxlady
Posted 4/20/2005 5:52 PM (#143859 - in reply to #143765)

Great Job Mark !

I've been to quite a few seminars during the off season- but yours was the best ! It was informative, insightful, well structured and nicely presented with power point. Nice touch using pictures with some of the guys from this board.

Excellent turnout and as I observed the crowd it was obvious they were very attentive and appeared disappointed when you ended as they were hungry for more information. A true indicator of a good presentation is the crowd not wanting to leave- and that was certainly the case last nite!

( and it was great to see you again too ! )