Boga Grip vs Rapala
Posted 3/23/2005 8:51 AM (#140151)
Subject: Boga Grip vs Rapala

What is the difference between the Original boga vs the Rapala Magnum models?
MikeHulbert
Posted 3/23/2005 9:00 AM (#140155 - in reply to #140151)
Subject: RE: Boga Grip vs Rapala

I suggest not using either of them.
DJS
Posted 3/23/2005 10:27 AM (#140186 - in reply to #140151)

I have experience with both the Boga Grip and the smaller jawed version of the Rapala model. The Boga Grip is superior hands down. Once you lock them with the boga they can spin as many times as they want and you don't have a problem along with the fact that hooks aren't all tangled up in the net . The early version of the Rapala model just doesn't have big enough jaws for a muskie over about 32".
muskihntr
Posted 3/23/2005 10:28 AM (#140187 - in reply to #140151)

actually i have the cheap berkley tool. it works out great if i get a smaller fish up to the side of the boat i can grab the lip with it and unhook the fish, without ever touching it or lifting it out of the water. we did get a double header goin in canada once where we had to use it on a 46" because the 48" took up the net and it worked fine. they also come in handy for kids to use, once i unhook the fish in the net you can hand the kid the fish and they can hold it for a nice photo, they can get a good grip on the tool, and support the belly real nice, i found they have trouble with thier little hands gill holding a fish! netting a nice fish though is definetly the way to go!!! but as a back up they are nice to have layin around! the differance with the berkly verses the bogo and rapala is the berkly doesnt swivel the other two do. i think the boga looks like it is easier to retract with 2 fingers than the raplala but ive not used either of them.
muskyboy
Posted 3/23/2005 10:46 AM (#140195 - in reply to #140151)

I don't think these are best for the fish, but I know someone who loves the Boga Grip.
kevin
Posted 3/23/2005 11:04 AM (#140210 - in reply to #140151)

I am very strongly with Mike on this one, neither should be used for Musky fishing...
strike_zone
Posted 3/23/2005 5:36 PM (#140304 - in reply to #140151)

Boga is okay. I use it as a back-up now in case of a double-header, or to constrain severely hooked fish that need major work while in the net. Not my first choice as a release tool. A release gaff actually controls the fish far better and does less damage to the fish. The Rapala seems to do more jaw damage than the Boga, and is tougher to release.

The bad thing about the Boga is the scale. Give an angler toy, and some have to use it. Hanging a fish vertically on the Boga (gaff, or Rapala tool) is a great way to dislocate or worse, split the bottom jaw. Dead fish!!!! In the right hands, and used with discretion, a Boga (or gaff) is an effective tool. In the wrong hands or used indiscriminately, it is a lethal weapon.

Regards,
Ben
Posted 3/23/2005 5:48 PM (#140307 - in reply to #140151)

Use a gaff. I learned how to use them out east and by far the safest and fish friendly way to unhook and handle them. I sure I will get some slack, but that is going to come from the ignorant and uninformed....However if you can get by those problems...it is the way to go...Ben
pgaschulz
Posted 3/23/2005 8:39 PM (#140334 - in reply to #140151)

I agree with the guys not the best tool out there for the fish.....Just my 3cents...

pga
Muskiefool
Posted 3/23/2005 9:40 PM (#140340 - in reply to #140151)

$$$$ and Quality are the main variables
reelman
Posted 3/23/2005 10:02 PM (#140345 - in reply to #140195)

I don't think putting hooks in there mouth is the best thing for them either. If used with a little common sence I do not see a problem with them.
jerkin
Posted 3/24/2005 2:19 AM (#140362 - in reply to #140151)

As long as you don't hang a fish from a boga you won't hurt them. My partner and I have probably released around 50-60 fish the last couple years with a boga and no damage to any of them. My opinion is the nets with the large holes are much worse, especially for smaller fish. Gills and fins get caught in them as well as the hooks. The only time we have had a problem is in a boat with high sides where it is hard to reach down that far, but that is tough with a net also. Just DON'T pick them up with the boga, get your other hand under their belly and support most of the weight there. They are really nice for smaller fish that you're not going to take a picture of because, as someone else stated, you never even take them out of the water. If you're going to buy one get the boga. They will last forever and some of the knock offs don't have a swivel head which is where the fish will suffer. They start to roll and it can rip their jaw clean off.
Scott
Luca Cattin
Posted 3/24/2005 3:26 AM (#140363 - in reply to #140151)

Boga and rapala are good because they have swivel heads. Berkley is a bad thing. His fixed head seriously damage the mouth of fish, especially those fish comes wild out of water. I will use some time this tools when fish from a float tube (we play a lot of float tube fishing here in Italy) and need to immobilize a small fish. For big fish this is not a problem and work simply with hands (note that we use generally single hooks when float tube fishing).
From the boat I agree, the best thing is a big net with fish unhooking operations in the water.
AirMuskie
Posted 3/24/2005 4:49 AM (#140366 - in reply to #140151)

I've got the Rapala and it works great. Had about a 34" go nuts after I had grabbed him with the grip and I thought for sure he was going to tear up his whole jaw. Not a scratch. Well worth the money.

Air