Who trolls Lake Vermilion? What methods are used?
Lock 45
Posted 3/20/2005 8:12 PM (#139784)
Subject: Who trolls Lake Vermilion? What methods are used?

Wondering what trolling techniques to use on Lake Vermilion. Suggestions on baits, speeds, line out, etc. would be welcome. I am booked in for the second week of September. Do I just go with my typical Georgian Bay methods or does Vermilion ask for a different approach?

It has been mentioned to me that the water is colored by iron ore deposits. Will this push me away from silver bladed spinners to brass or copper? What colors of wooden lures work there? Darker rather than lighter?

The detailed map I have shows a pretty good trolling run. From the west end of Daisy Bay, to the eastern end of the lake, looping around Birch Island, heading back west again. I plan to troll east between Comet and Pine Islands. Next I will run on the north side of Spider and Nyberg Islands, then loop around Birch Island and run the north side of Ely Island. Then back to Daisy and do it all again.

That takes care of the east end, any thoughts on trolling the west end?

Thanks,

Lock 45

Posted 3/20/2005 9:00 PM (#139789 - in reply to #139784)
Subject: RE: Who trolls Lake Vermilion? What methods are used?

Get a hold of this guy
http://muskieguide.homestead.com/
He's the best up there when it comes to trolling.
B.Mirro
Posted 3/21/2005 10:12 AM (#139829 - in reply to #139784)

No fish on the Cook end.
KidDerringer
Posted 3/21/2005 10:26 AM (#139830 - in reply to #139784)

No fish by my docks!

But then again you know that as I already showed you and your wife a ton of spots.

T.

Edited by KidDerringer 3/21/2005 10:28 AM
Lock 45
Posted 3/21/2005 1:05 PM (#139854 - in reply to #139784)

Kid Derringer,

Hey man .............. I was just lookin' for some more input. . Thrashin' around doing the wrong thing is not for me.

Will make a point of calling you, when we hit Tower in mid September, as previously discussed. We are booked in for Saturday, Sept 10th at the cottage, on the South shore of Big Bay. Probably get there late in the day as we are picking up Gil Gundersen, at the Duluth airport, around supper time. We will phone ahead and ask Dave at Birch Point Marine to have the boat ckecked out and ready for early Sunday.

I am now making my own rods and would like you to pass judgement on them. Will bring a few down with me so you can check them out. Got some new ideas on making larger Bucktails than in the past and am tying those now. Also, bought all the power tools and wood to make my own wooden lures. Maybe no time this year for the wood working but I will get to it next winter for sure.

At the end of the week on Vermilion, we are pulling out and driving North West to the Yukon, NWT and Alaska. I have planned this trip for a few years now. It's just simply time to do it.

Looking forward to hangin' out on your dock, counting Bald Eagles and just watching the Loons go by.

Lock 45

KidDerringer
Posted 3/21/2005 1:23 PM (#139859 - in reply to #139784)

Cool Lock 45 buddy.

All kidding aside, David Swenson can really supply some good info on the trolling stuff.
But you might have to hire him out to gain the BEST stuff.
Very least buy him and Me a big ass Steak.

Drive safe, always check whats under the bed and in the closet.
LOL X 10000

T.
guideman
Posted 3/21/2005 5:54 PM (#139885 - in reply to #139784)

We all troll the Big V in October, mid September really isn't prime time for the trolling bite.

Not that you won't catch any, it's just historically not all that good in mid September.

The water temps will still be in the high 50's in the second week of the month, maybe even higher.

The best trolling action comes when the temps fall into the mid to low 40's.

There were a number of trollers in the tourny last year. I don't think anyone boated a fish with that presentation.

If I do recall, the water temps were in the high 50's to low 60's, during the big
tournament. That was the second week of September,13th-18th.

Good Luck!

"Ace"

Edited by guideman 3/21/2005 5:57 PM
muskyboy
Posted 3/21/2005 8:01 PM (#139905 - in reply to #139784)

Lock 45, just troll around Musky Tom's and Ace's boats all day and you will catch plenty of fish just tagging along!
Lock 45
Posted 3/22/2005 4:55 PM (#140035 - in reply to #139784)

Muskyboy,

I have been out on Lake Vermilion with both Guideman and KidDerringer. Both provided good times.

But I do notice something ............ neither one of them is recommending any particular lures to use.

Hmmmmmmmmm .......... wonder if they have any secrets to protect.

I know that I will not be buying any big ass steaks for anyone in Tower!

At least not at this rate.

Lock 45

muskyboy
Posted 3/22/2005 5:46 PM (#140047 - in reply to #139784)

I bet topwaters, spinnerbaits, Wiley's Headshakers, Depth Raiders, DDDs, Ernies, Jakes, Grandmas, and Legend Outcasts would scare up some fish on that pretty body of water!
Lock 45
Posted 3/22/2005 8:19 PM (#140073 - in reply to #139784)

Steve,

I have an assortment of some of those big plugs. Mainly in natural and Perch style finishes.

When it comes to Spinners, my main group would be black and silver. I also use black/red, dark brown, olive and I also tye black and white, that looks like a skunk tail. Don't laugh as it works. Seldom do I use brass or copper blades, although I do have them.

My spinners are inline and I make them so they are modular. Meaning that I use two split rings per tandem. This allows me to mix and match the front metal sections with the trailing hair color selections. Comes in handy when I have to cut the hooks too.

As I am traveling North West out of Tower, when I leave Lake Vermilion, to continue on to Alaska, rather than coming back home, I must pack a minimum of tackle this trip. Trying to keep to one box of lures. Please suggest the top three inline spinner color combinations for Vermilion in September.

Thanks.

Dan Miller

caster
Posted 3/22/2005 11:07 PM (#140116 - in reply to #139784)

Are you strictly a troller?
Lock 45
Posted 3/22/2005 11:24 PM (#140121 - in reply to #139784)

Caster,

It pretty much comes with the territory around these parts. When not Musky fishing, the fallback choice, in this area, is salmon. That is how my boat is setup. Rod holders and downriggers.

muskyboy
Posted 3/23/2005 9:24 AM (#140168 - in reply to #139784)

Hey Dan, that sounds good to start. You will love the lake, a mini LOTW. I fished the East side with Chad Cain and it is pretty clear water. In those situations my top three colors would be red, purple, and white but Musky Tom and Ace would know better for that body of water.
guideman
Posted 3/23/2005 10:00 AM (#140177 - in reply to #139784)

Hey Dan,
No need to get an attitude, I simply forgot to make mention of what I use when trolling.

My go to bait is a Jake, both the 10" and the 8", will out fish most other presentations.

If you plan on doing some deep open water
trolling, the depth Raider would be a good choice. Ciscos and Whitefish are in good supply up here so I would try those patterns to start.

I also use firetiger and pike patterns on
weedlines and along the deep shoreline breaks. Like I said in the other post I rarely troll until late September, so I
can't really say what will work best in warmer water.
esoxmn
Posted 3/23/2005 1:41 PM (#140268 - in reply to #139784)

13 inch Gramma!!
Lock 45
Posted 3/23/2005 3:07 PM (#140280 - in reply to #139784)

Terry,

No attitude was ever intended. Please understand that.

Please read back up the page a few entries. Musky Tom was razzin' me a little about who was going to buy who a big ass steak. I was just razzin' back. Figure if somebody wants a steak, first they have to earn it.

I had a good time out with both of you. The information shared, by both of you guys, while out on the water, was informative.

Your comments here on what lure selections work well for Vermilion are certainly welcome. Thanks for taking the time.

Does this mean now I have to buy you both lunch at the Tower Cafe?

That I would do in a minute. It would be my pleasure.

Dan Miller