spotted x barred cross
Smells Musky
Posted 3/11/2005 7:49 PM (#138592)
Subject: spotted x barred cross

Decided to move this over from the 'Muskie Research' page to get more input:

I'm a little over the top with my passion for muskies. Not only do I love catching and studying them, I also raise them and am currently stocking my 2.5 acre pond with loads of forage so that one day maybe I'll get to live my dream - crossbreed (synthetically) a great lakes or leech lake fish with a northern (barred) strain. I was wondering if anyone out there has ever heard of the results of such a cross, or if anyone has seen what they thought was a cross in nature. There are not many areas where the 2 strains co-exist, but there are a few out there. A while back, probably 1999 or 2000, there was a retired Wisconsin DNR fisheries biologist who had a similar pond to mine with the 2 strains, and he reported some of his interesting observations on the old muskiecentral forum (I think his name was Bill Synder). I remember he got good natural reproduction, but did not think they did any crossbreeding as far as he could tell. Since it seems a general trend in nature, as with the other fish I have crossbred, that the more genetic diversity the more vigor the offspring typically have, I am especially curious about what results such a "mini-hybrid" would have. Any info that folks have out there would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
muskiefreak
Posted 3/14/2005 8:22 PM (#139005 - in reply to #138592)
Subject: RE: spotted x barred cross

We have several lakes in the twin cities area that have had both strains stocked Indy, Harriet, Bald Eagle to name a few. Some also have had shoepac strains stocked to add a third mutant factor to the equation (not to mention tigers). I have caught some that appear to be hybrids of the wisconsin/leach strain in the metro. I like having multiple strains in a lake because it seems like some days a certain strain is biting and the other is not. Or maybe it's just dumb luck and you happen to catch 3-4 of the same strain in one day. Anyway, you start adding hybrids between those and you have yet another strain.