LOTW Camping
woody
Posted 3/9/2005 8:01 PM (#138280)
Subject: LOTW Camping

Mulling over a first trip to The Woods this summer and wondering if anyone had any info on campgrounds on the lake? College doesn't afford the resort luxury and almost prefer camping anyway. Appreciate any thoughts, thanks. Any one know of any primitive island sites?
Elwood
cpr fish
Posted 3/10/2005 10:40 AM (#138358 - in reply to #138280)
Subject: RE: LOTW Camping

Jake's Northwest Angle Resort has campsites available. Not sure what is included but they do have electrified docks and showers (extra?).

Great place to stay close to awesome musky water. Give them a call for additional details: 1-800-729-0864.

darcyfish
Posted 3/10/2005 11:04 AM (#138367 - in reply to #138280)

There is a provincial park just outside of Sioux Narrows that has a launch and docks for users of the camp sites.Heres a link to the area that may help you out.

http://www.lakeofthewoodsvacations.com/

Darcy Finlan
Ball Cap
Posted 3/10/2005 11:19 AM (#138372 - in reply to #138280)

There are a few random camping spots with picnic tables hear Monument Bay.
dougj
Posted 3/10/2005 1:16 PM (#138397 - in reply to #138280)

Just so you know, it isn't free to camp on an island (Crown land). This is from the Ontario MNR site regarding camping in NW Ontario.

"Non-residents of Canada who are 18 years of age or older, except those using a camping unit rented from a commercial outfitter in Ontario, require a permit to camp on Crown lands north of the French and Mattawa rivers. (A camping unit is defined as equipment used for the purpose of outdoor accommodation and includes a tent, trailer, tent-trailer, recreational vehicle, camperback and any watercraft equipped for overnight accommodation.)

Crown Land Camping Permits are available from numerous fish and wildlife licence issuers and from the Ministry of Natural Resources district offices in northern Ontario. Cost of a Crown Land Camping Permit is $10 per person per day."

Here's the link.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/fishing/crownland.html

I might also add there is an additional regulation for Whitefish Bay of LOTWs that prohibits any camping at all (no permits are issued) on Crown Land by non-residents of Canada.

Doug Johnson

Bukes
Posted 3/10/2005 1:42 PM (#138399 - in reply to #138280)

How do you decipher CROWN land from NON-CROWN land? Is there some place that gives you a map or something so you know one from the other?
Ball Cap
Posted 3/10/2005 2:16 PM (#138404 - in reply to #138280)

Four years ago, we got our camping permits from Monument Bay Lodge and just headed out and set up camp on the mail land near Home Bay.

It was fun, but the mosquitoes were so ridiculous, I prefer to stay at the lodge now.
dougj
Posted 3/10/2005 4:41 PM (#138429 - in reply to #138399)

As far as I know there's really no good way to tell for sure. But most of the islands in the LOTWs are Crown land. Usually if it's owned by someone there's a cabin or resort on the location. Most of the camp sites that I'm familiar with (lots of them) are all on Crown Land, and would require a camping permit. There is also quite a bit of Indian land scattered about in the LOTWs, this would also be off limits unless it was cleared with the proper tribe.

I would guess that if you are camping on someones private property (unless you know them well) you should get permission from that person also.

Doug Johnson
woody
Posted 3/10/2005 6:27 PM (#138440 - in reply to #138280)

Thanks guys. This should get me off to more than a good start. Still, if there are any other suggestions out there, more than happy to hear 'em.
Thanks