Muskie Rod Question
Flint
Posted 3/7/2005 8:21 AM (#137873)
Subject: Muskie Rod Question

I recently got a St. Croix 7 foot Muskie Rod as a gift. Since it was a nice day on Saturday I got a chance to practice cast.
New to Muskie fishing , I noticed that the stock of the rod behind the reel is a lot more thick than I am use to. I have small hands and
had trouble with the grip . I measured the stock and it came up around 4 inches around which is about 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch more than my other rods. What I ended up doing was taking some fine sand paper and sanding down the cork till it was comfortable.
Just wanted to know if anyone has had a similar problem before and what if anything they did about it. Thanks
RodHolder
Posted 3/7/2005 10:35 AM (#137911 - in reply to #137873)
Subject: RE: Muskie Rod Question

why do you need your hand down around the butt anyway? just on a cast, if your fishing like that your hand is way below the balance point. you would have to have forearms of steal.
ChadG
Posted 3/7/2005 12:31 PM (#137927 - in reply to #137873)

I have sanded down the cork on a few rods....usually right behind the reel seat.
Mark H.
Posted 3/7/2005 12:35 PM (#137928 - in reply to #137873)

Flint,

Various manufacturers finish their products with various diameters on the butt grip and fore grip. Personal preference as far as the angler is concerned. And yes, as you discovered you can sand them down.

In terms of holding your rod when you are retrieving/working the lure there are primarily two accepted methods taught by most guides. One is to palm the reel, holding the rod by the reel seat in your fingers with the side cap of the reel in the palm of your hand. Method two is to hold on to the fore grip (front cork) while retrieving/working your lure.

Both methods will give you the opportunity for a powerful hook set. Depending on the type of lure I'm working I tend to switch off between the two methods.

Been doing this well over 20 years and all my casts seem to end up the same way..."At my feet"

Welcome to Musky fishing...best of luck to you.