Spinnerbaits, Double or Single Bladed?
BettieBait
Posted 3/4/2005 11:45 AM (#137631)
Subject: Spinnerbaits, Double or Single Bladed?

Looking to get a few new spinnerbaits for 2005, but I cant figure out why I would buy a single bladed vs. double bladed spinnerbait. Confused!

BB
Mauser
Posted 3/4/2005 11:50 AM (#137632 - in reply to #137631)
Subject: RE: Spinnerbaits, Double or Single Bladed?

If I'm fishing around timber, rocks or over weeds then I fish a double bladed spinnerbait. If I'm fishing deep in the weeds then I'll go with a single bladed spinner and probably a little heavier head.

Just my $.02 worth

Mauser
IAJustin
Posted 3/4/2005 11:54 AM (#137634 - in reply to #137631)

Spinnerbaits are effective in a variety of conditions - different blades and headweights will allow to fish most conditions - single blades/colorado are great in weeds - In my opinion you need both -
MuskieMedic
Posted 3/4/2005 1:13 PM (#137649 - in reply to #137631)

I prefer single blades for both willow and colorado spinnerbaits. I think double blade are better in really stained water.
muskyboy
Posted 3/4/2005 1:54 PM (#137652 - in reply to #137631)

I just picked up a Grim Reaper Triple Bladed Spinnerbait for buzzing the surface and across the tops of weeds. In general I like Double Bladed Spinnerbaits for most casting and trolling situations. I only use Single Bladed Spinnerbaits for fishing the slop and grinding thick weeds.
kevin
Posted 3/4/2005 9:48 PM (#137700 - in reply to #137631)

Musky Muggers by Luretech of Altoona wis are very good, here is a link to buy online: http://www.ebait.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Cod...
Beaver
Posted 3/4/2005 10:38 PM (#137708 - in reply to #137631)

I like CJ's myself. I'll use a single big Colorado blade to fish the lure over weeds or rocks and then let it flutter down the break. Fish thump it like a jig.
If I'm using a straight retrieve, I'll use the tandems. Colorados run higher because the cupped blade has more lift, but I'll use Indianas on the back if I want it to run deeper.
I also love fluttering the singles over laydowns or next to boathouses, docks and rafts.
Which ever you use, make sure to make some contact with the cover that you are fishing just prior to fluttering. Up in Vilas, on a certain milfoil lake, weekend pressured fish tuck into the matted vegetation. I'll bulge the lure to the edge of a hole and let it flutter in. It gets them to hit, but getting them out is the hard part.
Beav
BEN
Posted 3/5/2005 8:27 AM (#137721 - in reply to #137631)

I only use double bladed spinner baits Ruff tackles Radd Dog is my choice very stong won't brake easy i've cought lots of fish on them my opinion
Dacron+Dip
Posted 3/5/2005 11:08 AM (#137737 - in reply to #137631)

What Beav said. I troll them a lot also, back 4 to ten feet in and around the wash. Probably the most versatile bait there is for any fish. Grim Reaper 950's and 1050's are good baits. M&G's sure have a good name, and once BPS opened here in Toronto in Nov, they started stocking them. First time I'd really seen them on shelves. I was pretty shocked by the chincy wrappings and cheap swivel. (Like the fish care, anyway). Grim Reapers built way better from what I can see. 2oz Single spin with a Mogombo is an underrated deep structure or drop bait, as good as any jig.