Modifying a Custom Rod
River_Muskies
Posted 3/3/2005 3:56 PM (#137495)
Subject: Modifying a Custom Rod

This maybe a stupid question but here goes. How hard is it to modify a custom rod to change the length of the butt section. Several years ago I had a custom Diamondback made for me. Conversations with the rod builder convinced me to make the butt handle far shorter than the standard length on my Fig Rig's and St Croix's. After a couple of years, I just can't become comfortable with the rod and actual don't even use it that much. Given the cost of the rod and the fact that the blank is very nice not counting the butt length I would like to get it modified. I was wondering if, once a rod is finalizaed, is it hard to get the butt section lengthened. I don't make rods but I am hoping a custom rod builder could do this for me fairly easily. Is that correct???

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Greg

Edited by River_Muskies 3/3/2005 3:58 PM
pbrostuen
Posted 3/3/2005 4:04 PM (#137497 - in reply to #137495)
Subject: RE: Modifying a Custom Rod

Very easy to do, I know Thorne Bros will do it, but any competent rod builder should be able to handle it.
Slamr
Posted 3/3/2005 4:08 PM (#137498 - in reply to #137495)

It can be done......

I love Loomis rods, but their butts are too short, by about 2". Each time I buy a Loomis, I bring it to the local rod/reel shop and they put an extension on it.
tom fellegy
Posted 3/3/2005 4:43 PM (#137504 - in reply to #137495)

it isn't too hard of a job. you have to strip the cork of the old handle off of the blank. depending on how much glue was used, you may have to sand it down some to make it even. next find the handle you want, and measure it compaired to the length of the blank from the reel seat to the end of the blank. you need to add a piece of rod blank to extend the rod, the extention should insert into the rod at least 3.5" to 4". as far as glue goes you should use something that stays flexable. the biggest problem is you are putting this handle on from the larger end of the rod. you will need a bushing just behind the reel seat so the new handle will fit snug. wrapping masking tape around the blank until you get the right diameter. before you do all that why don't you call the guy that built it and have him modify it for you??? just a thought...tom