Poll Eyes on baits
Blummingflower
Posted 3/3/2005 12:22 PM (#137453)
Subject: Eyes on baits

Each year bait come out more realistic all the time.But does all this fancy stuff make a difference or is just simple more for the sake of sell baits to eyes of fishermen & women.They look great but is more show or does it produce.Look at the success of baits like the eddies and many home made paintcan jobs the keep on working.Do fish really notice eyes when they are about to slam a bait.Thanks for your imput.Dennis
MikeHulbert
Posted 3/3/2005 12:53 PM (#137456 - in reply to #137453)
Subject: RE: Eyes on baits

I really don't care about fancy paint jobs. It is 90% of it is all about action. I have lures that have 25+ fish on them, almost all the paint is gone, but the action is still there.

Paint it with a simple spray can, and I'm happy.

muskymeyer
Posted 3/3/2005 1:03 PM (#137459 - in reply to #137453)

I very seldom purchase or paint baits to make them look as realistic as possible. Eyes on baits are more for the fishermen then the muskies. Paint finishes are more for the fisherman. If all a lure manufacturer has is three colors once a guy has all three colors he does not need to buy any more colors, he has them all. But if the manufacturer paints a few additional colors every year you gotta buy em right? And the more realistic the better right? I fish Crane Baits to no end but do I have any custom colors? Nope. Why? The standard colors are more than adequate in flash and contrast. Heck I don't even have all the standard colors. And compared to what is available the Cranes are not the most realistic colors/finishes. The way I see it is the guys making lures have to keep making money so new finishes and colors come out to get this done. This also happens with fishing line companies. A few years the rage is vanishing lines, a few years later it is contrasting lines more visible to the angler. Companies have to find ways to market their products. Can colors make a difference in fish in the boat? Sometimes thay can but do we need all the lures we have . . . . probably not.

Corey Meyer
hrjohnny
Posted 3/3/2005 2:25 PM (#137477 - in reply to #137453)

I agree with Mike... action before paint. Although I do like oversized eyes on my baits...just a confidence thing for me.
gordy9722
Posted 3/3/2005 7:35 PM (#137534 - in reply to #137453)

Even though I like to paint fancy paint jobs, I agree that basic color patterns will work as long as the lure has the right action. On the other hand, if companies didn't try to come up with new patterns or designs in their lures, there really wouldn't be any evolution in lures. Take for example the Salmo pike. There were pike paint patterns before this lure came out. They took it one step further, and designed a bait that not only had the same color as a pike, but it had the same shape as well (I know they probably weren't the first to do this, I am just using this as an example). I bet there are hundreds of cases where this can be seen. If a paint pattern spawns an idea for a new lure design, then I say it's great for fisherman. If we didn't try to advance our painting and designs techniques then we would still be using the same lures that were being used decades ago.

Doug
uptown
Posted 3/3/2005 8:21 PM (#137545 - in reply to #137453)

I am a big eye guy. The bigger the better.
Muskie Bob
Posted 3/4/2005 6:03 AM (#137578 - in reply to #137477)

I also agree with Mike. Action before paint. However, eyes will make a difference on other fish, like bass. If a lure has a slower or motionless action, like stop and go or very slow retrieve (other than top water), I feel an eye may be just the attraction for the fish to hit. Eyes for me.
Beaver
Posted 3/4/2005 10:17 AM (#137615 - in reply to #137453)

3-D eyes,
The bigger the better.
Mauser
Posted 3/4/2005 11:25 AM (#137627 - in reply to #137453)

On a jerkbait or a slow moving crankbait, I do like to have big eyes on them but I don't think that it matters at all. I think eyes are made to catch fishermen not fish. The action of a lure is what counts. Lots of fish comes from a bucktail but VERY few have eyes on them.

Just my $.02 worth

Mauser