Aqua-Vu Camera
2Rodknocker
Posted 2/28/2005 10:29 PM (#137022)
Subject: Aqua-Vu Camera

Has anybody used one of the Aqua-Vu cameras?
What kind of visibility is ther with one.
For example if you have 4' surface visibility, and you want to check out some bottom feature in 20' are you able to?
Thanks for any help here. I've thought about buying one of these, but haen't been able to try one out for myself.
Rodney LaCaze
bturg
Posted 2/28/2005 10:56 PM (#137026 - in reply to #137022)
Subject: RE: Aqua-Vu Camera

Make sure the camara has infra-red lighting. Thats what you need to see in low light conditions and deep water.
sworrall
Posted 2/28/2005 11:00 PM (#137028 - in reply to #137026)

The best out there is the MarCum. Look into that product before you buy!
muskihntr
Posted 3/1/2005 7:52 AM (#137059 - in reply to #137022)

i have the aqua vu and it is a very nice camera . the marcums are real nice too i think it comes down to what style you want to buy. actually if you go with aqua vu the ones with the multi colored light systems see better in darker or deeper water than the infered lights. i used mine alot ice fishing this year and had a blast. one of the nice features on the aqua veiw is that you can look out witht he camera or you can clip the cord to the back fin and look straight down without disturbing the fish below.
B420
Posted 3/1/2005 8:30 AM (#137066 - in reply to #137022)

I have the aqua view scout and it rocks. Easy to use, cheap, and it works great. Too much fun for ice fishing not to have one for $200. The new fish camera with the down view clip is sweet
KOMER
Fish-n-Freak
Posted 3/1/2005 9:40 AM (#137079 - in reply to #137022)

I think Marcum did the right thing! They waited until they got it right, then put it on the shelf.

Too many companies today rush things to market, and then try to fix problems and do recalls.

I have an Aqua -Vu and think they are great, you can see pretty good and they don't spook the fish,
as long as you go infa-red not red and green lights. Those colored lights will spook fish.

The Marcum units are great and either brand will serve you well. They are real handy to help you learn
the structure.

Good Luck,
Steve
Gander Mt Guide
Posted 3/1/2005 10:02 AM (#137081 - in reply to #137022)

I own the AquaVu ZT, it's the camera that uses the multicolor light scheme. The infrared units do not break through the darkness like the lighted cameras, especially if the lake water is stained or very murky. The ZT has temp on the camera as well...not too bad for $300.00

If you plan on using your camera in daylight hours only, the AquaVu Scout or Pro, with infrared, will do fine.

muskihntr
Posted 3/1/2005 10:07 AM (#137084 - in reply to #137022)

mine has the ir lights and it is great during the day. but once we start loosing the light i wish i had the multi colored ones. aqua vu is a very good company and very easy to deal with. they have been around a long time and have a very good product for the $$$ i have the temp and direction on mine the only thing id do different is spend the money and get the multi lights and the depth added.
BNelson
Posted 3/1/2005 10:28 AM (#137090 - in reply to #137022)

do any of the aqua views have both infa red and the multi colored lights?
I have been looking at buying one but it seems they keeping making them better every year and I don't want to buy one and then have something much better come out in 6 months...so the MarCums are $600?
muskihntr
Posted 3/1/2005 10:43 AM (#137096 - in reply to #137022)

you cannot get both the ir and colored on the same camera. i would recommend buying the colored lights there is a switch that you can turn the lights on or off with though. i am checking into getting an upgrade for my aqua vu as we speak.
TECK
Posted 3/1/2005 10:49 AM (#137099 - in reply to #137022)

I have found you can do one of two things. Play with the Camera or Fish . If I'm fishing I woun't bring the camera in the boat. Befor season starts its fun to check out spots.
B420
Posted 3/1/2005 10:52 AM (#137100 - in reply to #137022)

You don't need to worry about the lights on the aqua-view or Marccum. Neither work that great, what you end up seeing is the reflection of the particles in the water-real sweet. Ask yourself what are you really going to be looking for in the dark anyway? In my opinion the camera would be so close to the bait that you would just be spooking fish. Daytime is the time to view with ether unit
Fishwater1
Posted 3/1/2005 11:26 AM (#137104 - in reply to #137022)

Here's some more dialog re: the PRODUCTION PROBLEMS of the Marcum unit. Funny it didn't GET JUMPED ON last year?

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=13...

The use of 'Obvious' may not have been too off the mark after all.
Fish-n-Freak
Posted 3/1/2005 11:40 AM (#137107 - in reply to #137022)

Freshwater,
Don't take it so hard. Nobody is saying they didn't have a production problem, or
that they didn't miss their target date by 6 or 8 months.

The main issue is your opening line;
"Be careful of the Marcum"

That statement leads people to think you had one and had a ton of problems with it
and they wouldn't fix it. You "assumed" that because they took longer to get to market the
final product was flawed. If you have not had a bad experience with Marcum, then you shouldn't
warn people away.

The product came out when it was ready and the production issues were cleared up. The Marcum
units are solid and I have used them and know many people that own them.

Nuff said.
Steve
muskihntr
Posted 3/1/2005 11:51 AM (#137110 - in reply to #137022)

hey teck you are 100% right!!! i rarely take it with in the boat during open water just for that fact. usally the only time i bring it in the boat is if i got the kids with to occupy them while i fish. however in the winter i bring it along everytime i go ice fishing it is a much more handy tool to have in the winter, you can hang it in an extra hole and still spend the day fishing and watching the camera!!!
ulbian
Posted 3/1/2005 7:05 PM (#137175 - in reply to #137022)

I have one with the colored lighting...it is the way to go, much much better than infrared. I won't leave home without it especially when on unfamiliar water. Yes, there is the risk of getting caught up in watching stuff on the camera and not fishing so you need some discipline. It's just another tool that you can use. The thing is great for assisting in finding patterns and determining bottom cover if you can't see it. Still not as helpful as a graph or flasher but I'd say on some new lakes I fished last year it helped eliminate water that would have been unproductive. Also you can make a bait choice based on what you see on screen that is showing up on your graphs. That's about the biggest advantage it gives you. Mine also has the temp sensor on it and where I can make out a thermocline on my graphs, the camera allows me to pinpoint exactly where it is at.

Once last year I had a small 12v TV hooked up to it and watched a fish follow up on screen that would have been one of those "where did that fish come from?" type of deals. Now I'm going to have a 12v TV/VCR combo in my boat at all times hooked up to the thing just recording everything. Just another way to increase my knowledge base from watching how fish react to baits hung over the side of the boat, how they take a swipe at a boatside tactic, etc. Now hopefully the camera will be pointed in the right direction when this stuff happens.
2Rodknocker
Posted 3/1/2005 9:50 PM (#137200 - in reply to #137022)

So now I have some info about the cameras and still have a question.
If my surface visibility is 3-4 foot, how much can I see with one of the cameras.
I have an idea, how about somebody bringing one of their cameras down here to Kinkaid, and fishing with me for the day and showing me how they work.
Gas and lunch on me. Plus my best work to put you on some fish!
Rodney

Edited by 2Rodknocker 3/1/2005 9:55 PM
sworrall
Posted 3/1/2005 9:57 PM (#137206 - in reply to #137200)

This summer I'll bring a MarCum down for you to try. Hopefully, someone can let you try an Aqua View as well.
2Rodknocker
Posted 3/1/2005 11:52 PM (#137217 - in reply to #137206)

Steve,
I'll hold you to it!!
Rod
MOMuskieguy
Posted 3/2/2005 8:22 AM (#137239 - in reply to #137022)

Just curious...

When using a camera in MUSKIE waters don't you run a risk using the new Aqua View that has a camera shaped like a fish? Can you imagine a 45"+ Muskie taking a bite out of it?
Mikes Extreme
Posted 3/2/2005 1:29 PM (#137293 - in reply to #137239)

Well maybe we can make up a quick strike rig for that issue.

It will be like icefishing.........in the summer.

I am also looking into getting a camera very soon. I have used the Aqua-Vu and the Atlantis. Both of them have ups and downs but work great. I too would like to see the Marcum in action before I purchase a camera.

Cave Run Steve !!!! Can you bring one down, I can bring the other two to compare.