Kite Fishing
GMan
Posted 2/28/2005 2:57 PM (#136952)
Subject: Kite Fishing

Has anyone ever heard of this?! I was talking to a camera man (that's a whole nother story) who said he used to film fishing shows for someone I hadn't heard several years ago, anyway, this guy would employ some serious offbeat tactics to catch fish. They kite fished for muskies on Mille Lacs...stood on shore with a kite and dangled the bait (connected to fishing rod) off the kite string over shallow reeds and areas they could not get to with a boat (or would spook fish out of with a boat)...the rig had some sort of release mechanism so when the fish hit this lure/bait dangling just above the water or on top of it, the kite string released and they were free to fight the fish from shore. I told him I wasn't buying it; he claims to have tapes which he said he would produce. How did they get the fish through the reeds, etc. to shore?! Anyone care to weigh in? If I see the tapes, after paying off my bet with the guy, I'll let you know.
Snowcrest 6
Posted 2/28/2005 3:54 PM (#136960 - in reply to #136952)
Subject: RE: Kite Fishing

I've heard of the technique being used for saltwater fishing. Never seen it in action, though....
FishHateMe
Posted 2/28/2005 4:21 PM (#136965 - in reply to #136952)

I've done it sailfishing with friends in Miami.

Basically, a kite is tied to a small stout rod. On the "kite string" is a clip that you run your main line through. The kite is let out to fly and it takes the main line with it. Live bait - is rigged (circle hooks) to the line and you run the line about half way to 3/4's the way up the kite string. The line from the clip hangs vertically into the water. What you want to do is dangle the live bait on the surface of the water so that it barely is in the water. It forces the live bait to swim erratically on the surface which makes it appear wounded.

When a fish strikes the bait, the clip pops loose and the fight is on.

Typically guys will do this when they've located fish and want to get a good drift going. You're not doing it under power. It can be very effective and when you've got an 8' sailfish chasing the bait on the surface - well it's about as exciting as it gets!

Jeff
Plitz.....
Posted 2/28/2005 5:58 PM (#136978 - in reply to #136952)

What? Interesting!
capt bigfish
Posted 2/28/2005 9:10 PM (#137004 - in reply to #136952)

I saw that episode from Mille Lacs, I'm remembering the guy was Dave Bentley. I've got a photogenic memory if I remember correctly. These guys were trolling with a kite and dangling bait/lures. They looked like they were goofing around instead of offering serious alternative methods. I thought a great way to entertain kids while muskie fishing.
capt bigfish
Leech Laker
Posted 3/1/2005 8:51 AM (#137070 - in reply to #136952)

A similar technique used on Lake Michigan from the break waters for salmon and trout is to attached a large ballon to your line with a paper clip and let the wind take it out to your desired depth. Fish hits, balloon releases and the fight is on.
GMan
Posted 3/1/2005 11:32 AM (#137106 - in reply to #136952)

Shoot, I've fished with Dave before, of course, this never came up then. I presume this is a "live bait" tactic then? I'm even more anxious now to see the tape.
hoffa
Posted 3/1/2005 5:57 PM (#137166 - in reply to #136952)

i think that is on a video from in fisherman "big fish only"
again i think
davep
Posted 3/1/2005 6:02 PM (#137168 - in reply to #136952)

I to remember a Tv show with guys kite fishing on Mille Lacs for Muskie. Sucker fishing if i am not mistaken.
Mark Gostisha
Posted 3/2/2005 6:18 AM (#137224 - in reply to #136952)

Here is some info in Offshore Angler, a saltwater mail order catalog, for a fishing kite. There are probably more acessories to go with this as well:

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=8231&hvarT...

Blummingflower
Posted 3/2/2005 11:08 AM (#137264 - in reply to #136952)

It was Larry Dahlberg.I think the show was The Hunt For Big Fish. Anyway I had a friend tell me last summer after he heard a talk by Larry at I think Cabela's in Owtanna.He openly talk about this and the big lunges he caught at Mille Lacs.It seems to me it was july or augest as he was on his way home from Canda.Dennis
lobi
Posted 3/3/2005 9:40 AM (#137427 - in reply to #136952)

I believe it. Just another tool to put the bait where the fish are.

My brother knows a guy who sturgeon fishes with balloons. He gets the bait where he can't go with a boat by floating it way past the "no boats" area near a dam. When it is where he wants it he shoots the balloon with a pellet gun to get the bait to sink to the bottom.

I love the idea of a kite to get a bait out where you can't place it from shore.
Common for saltwater fishing.
muskiefreak
Posted 3/4/2005 2:23 PM (#137654 - in reply to #136952)

Yes, It was Dahlberg
greenduck
Posted 3/5/2005 7:33 AM (#137718 - in reply to #136952)

Kite
+
Boat Control
+
Lots of wind
+
Fighting musky
+
Excitement
=

Mess, swearing, intentionally crashing kite into the water, bigger mess.

It still sounds like fun however. BillC.