best polarized shades
Posted 2/23/2005 4:36 AM (#136175)
Subject: best polarized shades

I am looking for polarized shades that I can change lenses for different light conditions. Would rather have one pair with different tints than keeping up with 3 pairs of high dollar glasses. Perhaps 3 different pairs is best way to go. Any ideas
BigO
Posted 2/23/2005 6:57 AM (#136178 - in reply to #136175)
Subject: RE: best polarized shades

I prefer the Costa series, but your right...buying different shades is expensive.

Try the Tsunami H3O, they offer 3 different lens and work pretty well. I know Musky Hunter Mag has them on their on-line store.
I think they are around 100 bucks.
tomyv
Posted 2/23/2005 7:38 AM (#136182 - in reply to #136178)

I bought a pair of Native's this winter. Only had a handful of chances to use them on the water, but I thought they were awesome, and I got them at Gander for around $115.
lambeau
Posted 2/23/2005 7:43 AM (#136185 - in reply to #136175)

i love my H30s.
great service too, the small piece that holds the nosepad in place broke off of mine this fall fishing in very cold conditions and they replaced the frames by express mail.
shop a bit, i think R+H's had them at the Chicago show for $95, and someone a couple booths over was $115.
muskihntr
Posted 2/23/2005 7:49 AM (#136186 - in reply to #136175)

i just got my h3os in the mail i bought the rx insert that i have to take in and have my perscription put in. my eye doc looked over the website and his thoughts were that they apear to be the most versitle shades out there especially for us 4 eyed people!!
Muskydr
Posted 2/23/2005 7:53 AM (#136187 - in reply to #136175)

Check out the Costa Del Mar fluid series, they are a bit pricey but ........... they are awesome!!!!!
muskie! nut
Posted 2/23/2005 8:14 AM (#136191 - in reply to #136175)

I have talk at lenght with Earl Park of H3O yesterday and hopefully he will attend the Madison Fishing EXPO and bring a pair of the Rx version (both multi & platium) along for me to try on. I have a pair of Rx on a Costa Del Mar Multi-Sport frames and love them, but they are a bit too dark for overcast condictions. If they fit nice (I like the oversized lenses) I will get a pair of the H3O.
MuskieMedic
Posted 2/23/2005 8:18 AM (#136193 - in reply to #136175)

I love my Costa Del Mars.
muskihntr
Posted 2/23/2005 8:50 AM (#136203 - in reply to #136175)

the nice thing about the h3os is that you can change the lenses for the conditions. thats why i went with them. i bought the sport series, the only thing im weary about is like someone on here stated in a earlier post. once the rx lenses are set in your eye lashes may rub against the lenses. im going to ask the eye doc how the fit will be before i have them made.
marine_1
Posted 2/23/2005 8:52 AM (#136204 - in reply to #136175)

Nothing BEATS Ocean Waves Backwater Green BEST for any situation
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jhtml?id=001...
muskyboy
Posted 2/23/2005 10:14 AM (#136218 - in reply to #136175)

Ocean Waves Back Water Green for seeing follows in most light conditions
Ocean Waves Crown Royal Illuminator for seeing follows in low light conditions

These glasses work great and I really like them. Other glasses are also good, so it is important to find a model you like that fits you properly.
triton
Posted 2/23/2005 8:53 PM (#136325 - in reply to #136175)

have h03 and costa del mars love them both
GOTAFISH
Posted 2/23/2005 10:12 PM (#136332 - in reply to #136175)

solar bat you can get them with or without rx
cnnemusky
Posted 2/24/2005 5:49 AM (#136341 - in reply to #136175)

I have my second pair of Cost Del Mars. My first pair cracked over the nose piece and "possibly" because an over-weight middle aged musky addicted man sat on them. They replaced them with a new model. In the past, they had a lifetime guarantee. I'm not sure if they still do, but that was worth the extra money. The original pair was about 5 years old.
theedz155
Posted 2/24/2005 6:04 AM (#136342 - in reply to #136175)

I like my Maui's except for the style I ended up with. After using them for a while now, I wish they wrapped a little more (My own mistake on picking the wrong style, no one elses). At the time I bought my first pair they were the only ones using anti-glare on the back side of the lenses. Helps a ton when the sun is behind you.

I've got the Rose and the Yellow lenses on my two pair and between the two I've got no problems until very late in the day.

Scott
The Handyman
Posted 2/24/2005 6:53 AM (#136343 - in reply to #136175)

For me expensive shades are not an option, with that being said I have been using the Blu-Blockers and am very happy with how good I can see those fish in all types of water and all conditions untill the very end at dark. At $20.00 I can brake my customary 3 pairs a season and not get to mad!
Esox1850
Posted 3/9/2005 9:57 AM (#138216 - in reply to #136175)

Ordered up a pair of Ocean Waves Backwater Green last week and just had them delivered 5 minutes ago! Only 126$ for the Chicago Style! Great deal and I think I am about to order another pair.
kevin
Posted 3/9/2005 10:09 AM (#138218 - in reply to #136175)

Costa Del Mar and Ocean waves seem to be the top, plus there are several other brands that are pretty decent(Ray ban, Revo, Maui Jim,etc..). Your Green Mirrors in both Ocean Waves(Backwater Green) and Costa Dewl Mar(green mirror)have a AMBER based tint on the lens, anything with AMBER would be the first choice of color to get, second would be the Low Ligt lens colors, Crown Royal Luminator for Ocean Waves, Sunrise Yellow for Costa. Your greens, grays and anything else are usually for brighter conditions, where as AMBER is a good allround light condition lens color.

This is taken from the ocean waves website http://www.oceanwaves.com/generalfr.asp?codOption=T about lens colors:
All Ocean Waves glass lenses have the same polarization and U.V. protection.

Mirrored lenses

Our mirrored lenses come in Offshore Blue, Backwater Green, and Crown Royal Luminator. The advantage of the mirror is to block more glare when the light is intense. Offshore Blue: Gray Base with Blue Mirror
Best for:
Specially designed for trolling deep water fishing, and boating. The dark base lets you clearly see the fishing lines and baits behind the boat. You can detect objects or fish on the top of the water, even when traveling at high speed.
The grey base filters more light than the amber, which makes it more comfortable for sensitive eyes.
Backwater Green: Amber Base with Green Mirror
Best for:
Ideal for flats fishing and any type of boating that requires seeing the coral heads and sand bars to keep you from running aground. The amber base brightens the view into the water and shadows. Preferred by many top-fishing guides to achieve maximum reduction of glare, not light.
Better contrast and definition for snow skiing and all outdoor activities.
Our best driving lens.
Crown Royal Luminator: Yellow Base with Purple Mirror
Best for:
Conceived for low light conditions such as early morning, late evenings, and cloudy days. Tested and approved by many professional sportsmen and the Crown Royal Fishing Team. Also, the Luminator lenses are considered the best for motorcycle riding and golf because the yellow base lets you see fine detail in all light conditions and can enhance performance.

Non-mirrored lenses

Grey & Amber: Our non-mirrored lenses are available in either glass (only for all Ocean Waves collections, except the Blades and Titanium) or polycarbonate (for the Blades and the Titanium collections).
These non-mirrored lenses provide 100% U.V. protection and are more suitable to wear when glare is not severe

And From the Costa Del Mar website http://www.costadelmar.com/Technology/technology.html

People use the water in different ways. But regardless of what they're doing, we have a lens that will cover them. Our engineers have specially designed our lenses for a variety of specific light conditions. And no matter what the light conditions are, our system is guaranteed to deliver superior quality and clarity.

Gray – A neutral color that provides contrast and minimized color distortion. Ideal for water sports, beaches, offshore fishing.

Amber – A brown tint that increases contrast in most light conditions. In addition to bright sun, amber offers excellent light management properties on cloudy or rainy days. Designed for general purpose, high contrast light situations.

Vermillion – A rose/copper tint which heightens visual acuity and enhances color. Delivers brightest field of vision and is applicable for sight fishing, bass fishing, inshore fishing, sport shooting, extreme sports and skiing.

Sunrise ™ A high contrast specialty lens for early morning and late evening. Designed for fishing, extreme sports, and sport shooting.

Blue Mirror – Designed for bright sun conditions from offshore fishing to most water sports. The lens is gray and the blue mirror is encased inside the lens for maximum scratch resistance.

Green Mirror – Offers enhanced visual acuity for specific light situations such as sight fishing, but is worn by many for everyday use. The lens color is amber and the green mirror is encased inside the lens for maximum scratch resistance

Posted 3/9/2005 3:43 PM (#138253 - in reply to #136175)

I go through many pair in a years time. The cost of loosing, scratching, breaking, etc. would be more substantial if I bought High dollar shades. Until they guarantee against scratches, breakage or loosing them, its off to Wal Mart to buy them for less than $10 where you can buy glasses in the 2 colors that I know of at least. Which IS adequate for most conditions. What it comes down to for me is I cannot justify paying $100 plus for a pair of shades that I may end up breaking in a few hours.
Be more careful, Yeah, Right....
Esox1850
Posted 3/9/2005 4:11 PM (#138255 - in reply to #136175)

I've found that when I shell out the extra dough for the high end shades, I tend to take care of them....stressing the "tend" part of the equation. Throw some beers into that equation and I lose the "tend" part of it! haha. I also don't wear prescription glasses and I highly value my eyes so that is how I kind of warrant the expensive shades. Protection from lures, UV, bright light, wind....
kevin
Posted 3/9/2005 4:34 PM (#138257 - in reply to #136175)

Used to wear the cheapies until I came across some Costa's on clearence..(around $35 for a discontiued style)... After seeing the difference I will never go cheap again on glasses..
PapaJoe
Posted 3/10/2005 9:15 PM (#138457 - in reply to #136175)

Backwater green Ocean Waves are cool. Can't see like aqua man but they're good
Surprising but true, Vuarnet Skilynx lenses (I even found a newer pair that's polarized)
Had a decent pair of Nikon polarized that were cheaper than they could have been.
Revo blue mirror look cool in the pics.
Gotta try the Costas too.
Some of Bolle's polarized lenses are good for seeing deep

My advice: you can always afford the glassses you want, as long as they're considered musky fishing gear.

Good luck,
Papa Joe
esox23
Posted 3/10/2005 10:21 PM (#138461 - in reply to #136175)

Another vote or the Natives. I got the dash SS with the changable lens. All Polarized, All Sports, is what it says on their website, definetly worth checking them out.

Esox23