TopRaider Repair Job
esox50
Posted 1/1/2005 5:50 PM (#130080)
Subject: TopRaider Repair Job

This may be of interest to some and I hope will be saved in the archives. Following Jason Schillinger's instructions from another board I successfully repaired my TopRaider. The internal weight was knocked loose so the bait just kept rolling over, even at super slow speeds. A lot of the following were Jason's instructions so I can't take credit for all of it. Hope it helps someone in the future!!!

Using a 1/2" forstner bit I drilled a hole directly above the keel of the bait. Using a pair of tweezers I was able to find the loose weight and mixing some 5 minute epoxy, I put it back in its original position. The weight was odd looking at first, sort of a backwards "D". Thin at the top and heavier towards the rear. There are two small cotter pins; one the weight slips under and the other to hold it in place. The weight fit snug and underneath the pin on the left side of the bait (if holding it nose up, hooks pointed away from you). Mix the epoxy and put it in before the weight, then add the weight whenever ready. Let sit. Next, cut a piece from a plastic milkjug slightly larger than the hole you created. Put a screw in the plastic circle and gently thread (not too much because you need to get the screw back) it on. Push it inside the bait then mix more epoxy and place on plastic circle. Pull up and hold to let the circle and epoxy bond to the inside top of the bait. Once you can let go of the screw without the plastic circle moving, take out the screw, cover hole in plastic circle with a small piece of leftover epoxy to prevent the next step from getting inside the bait, mix more epoxy and put it on top of the plastic circle, let it mound up so that the top of the dome is slightly above the bait. Let sit for a while and come back and file off the remaining epoxy so the surface is once again flat. You can color over the epoxy if you like, I think I'll just leave it as the white contrasted against the black makes it more visible on figure 8s, on overcast days, or at dusk. Attached are pics of the process.

Edited by esox50 1/1/2005 7:46 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(resizeTRtop.JPG)

(resizeTRtop2.JPG)

(resizeTRtop3.JPG)

(resizeTRtop4.JPG)

(resizeTRtop5.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments resizeTRtop.JPG (72KB - 224 downloads)
Attachments resizeTRtop2.JPG (65KB - 211 downloads)
Attachments resizeTRtop3.JPG (52KB - 213 downloads)
Attachments resizeTRtop4.JPG (62KB - 216 downloads)
Attachments resizeTRtop5.JPG (42KB - 231 downloads)
Reef Hawg
Posted 1/2/2005 12:34 AM (#130129 - in reply to #130080)
Subject: RE: TopRaider Repair Job

Hey, glad I could help. It worked on several of mine, and your job looks much neater than any of mine so I think I'll send a couple to you! You may notice that the lure got a tad top heavy now with the epoxy and needs to run a bit slower(sometimes they run better though after the fix), but that is ok I guess. One thing for sure, that weight will never come loose again, unless you run it over with your pickup a few times.

Jason

Edited by Reef Hawg 1/2/2005 12:38 AM
MikeHulbert
Posted 1/2/2005 9:32 AM (#130143 - in reply to #130080)

You could always just throw them away and buy new ones.......
lambeau
Posted 1/2/2005 9:41 AM (#130145 - in reply to #130080)

yep.
but it's winter, and this looks like way more FUN...
The Handyman
Posted 1/2/2005 10:44 AM (#130151 - in reply to #130080)

Here`s a simple fix for while fishing with your best top-raider on the water when the weight comes loose! Attach a 3/8oz. bell sinker to the front split ring and low and behold your top-raider is back in action! HOT-TIP, on those newer baits that don`t quite run like the old ones, put a bell-sinker on that front hook and your whole bait just got ALOT BETTER! sshhhhhhhhh!!!!! Don`t tell anyone. The reefhawg fix is tried and true as I probably did many of the first repairs! They kick after completetion!
augiedoggy18
Posted 1/2/2005 10:48 PM (#130210 - in reply to #130080)

Esox50,

I have two TopRaiders that have the loose weight problem. My problem is this, I don't have the required tools or confidence to do the repairs. Could you fix mine for a fee? Let me know if you are willing to do it. Thanks!

Nick
Bawber
Posted 8/15/2008 8:24 PM (#331642 - in reply to #130080)

After you glue the weight back in place, instead of using a plastic piece from a milk jug, try filling it with Great Stuff foam or something like it....cut off the excess and seal with 2-part waterproof epoxy....runs a bit lower in the water which is a GOOD thing IMO.

Or you can buy new ones!
Beaver
Posted 8/17/2008 6:12 PM (#331893 - in reply to #331642)

I had a keel weight knock loose on one, and I fixed it in the boat.
I had some 5 minute epoxy, so I took a multi-tool and made a hole right above the weight chamber and mixed up some epoxy and let it drip in the hole. I rocked the lure back and forth a couple of times to get some epoxy on the weight and then let it sit flat for a while. I had excess epoxy, so I waited until it was starting to set up and then rolled it in my fingers and used it for a plug. I waited for a half hour and started using it again. That was 3 years ago and it's still going strong.