Great lakes spotted Muskies
Bytor
Posted 12/29/2004 2:44 PM (#129849)
Subject: Great lakes spotted Muskies

Looking for some information about this program.

This is what I learned from the DNR's fish stocking info. They have been stocking the Great lake strain in Green Bay, the Fox River, and the Winnebago system since 1998. How are these fish doing?

What inland lake or lakes did they put this strain in? I read somewhere that they have at least one lake that they are getting eggs from.

What Musky club or clubs are helping with this program?
sworrall
Posted 12/29/2004 3:02 PM (#129853 - in reply to #129849)
Subject: RE: Great lakes spotted Muskies

The Great Lakes strain used is from Lake St. Clair. Here is a clip from an article by Dan Small in Wisconsin Sportman Magazine, and the link to that article.

"
GREEN BAY WATERS
The state began restoring muskies in the waters of Green Bay back in 1989, when Great Lakes-strain "spotted" muskies were first introduced, using fish raised from eggs gathered in an inland lake in Michigan. For the past few years, DNR fisheries crews have regularly seen big muskies in their spring and fall walleye population surveys, including a 53-inch 48-pounder handled in the spring of 2002. Anglers also report catching fish up to 50 inches.

"There are enough big fish in the system now that people are fishing for them in the fall in the Fox River and up in the Marinette area," says DNR fisheries biologist Terry Lychwick, stationed at Green Bay. A 50-inch size limit went into effect there this season.

According to Lychwick, from 1989 through 2001, an average of about 3,000 spotted muskies per year were released as 10-inch fingerlings in the waters of Green Bay, all of them produced at the Wild Rose Hatchery. Last year, spotted muskies were also raised at the Art Oemcke Hatchery in Woodruff, and a record 32,000 spotteds were produced in the two hatcheries combined.

Those fish have been stocked each year in the lower Fox River from the De Pere Dam down to the mouth, in southern Green Bay, and in the Menominee River. With additional fish available last year, muskies were stocked for the first time in Sturgeon Bay, and in lakes Poygan and Butte des Morts.

"This is still very much a restoration project," says Lychwick. "Given the low number of fish stocked and the annual mortality rates, there are probably only 12,000 to 15,000 adult muskies in the entire system, only half of which are females. That's not a lot of fish, given the size of Green Bay, and there is no evidence so far of successful spawning."

Since last year, eggs are now also gathered from muskies in Michigan's Lake St. Clair in an attempt to revitalize the gene pool and increase the number of muskies stocked. Native to the Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence River, spotted muskies tend to spawn on shoals where there is flowing water. There are adequate spawning areas available in the Fox/Green Bay system, but not enough muskies yet using them to produce a self-sustaining population."

Here's the link to that article:
http://www.wisconsinsportsmanmag.com/wi_aa086003a/

A few more links:
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/outdoors/outdoors/archive/out_1...
http://www.jsonline.com/outdoors/mar04/216112.asp
http://www.daverichey.com/pMachine/weblog.php?id=P173

And a good one to read:
http://www.wnrmag.com/stories/2003/feb03/hatch.htm

Bytor
Posted 12/30/2004 8:32 AM (#129904 - in reply to #129849)

Thanks for the info, Steve.

How about hearing from some of the fisherman in the Green Bay/ Fox system.

How big are these fish???
Jomusky
Posted 12/30/2004 8:46 AM (#129906 - in reply to #129904)

You are asking for double super top secret information.

The spotted musky stocking program has been very successful in Green Bay. The only problem is the size of Green Bay usually makes it extremely tough to find them.

I can't wait to see what the winnebago system is like in ten years. I know I will be fishing it often.

I am proud to say that the C & R Musky Club is a supporter of the spotted program.

The DNR was able to get enough eggs from Green Bay this year so they didn't have to harvest from Michigan or the broad stock lake, Long Lake. This is an awesome sign that the stocking is successful.

Edited by Jomusky 12/30/2004 8:48 AM
The Handyman
Posted 12/30/2004 8:49 AM (#129907 - in reply to #129849)

Have to agree, alot of water for the amount of spots cruising around. Tough bite for me and many others, but if you can stick one they are beautiful to CPR!
dogboy
Posted 12/30/2004 9:44 AM (#129913 - in reply to #129849)

I too cannot wait for the winnebago system to boast numbers as well as trophies, there have been some nice fish caught in that system but I'm sure your hours logged are much higher than one would want to admit. As for green bay, bring a big boat and plenty of gas, there are some miles to be covered. I can tell you though that those fish are definately the prettiest next to a tiger muskie. Someday that bay will be a world class fishery with the way things are going. Just hopefully they find out if the fish are spawning on their own.
By the way, if anyone has caught fish out there with tags in them, the dnr would really appreciate your info, tag #, length, weight, and if possible a picture. This info really helps them determine how well these fish are doing out there.
Wisconsin Wade
Posted 12/30/2004 11:36 AM (#129922 - in reply to #129849)

The Cat - Meeoooww-has been out of the bag a few years now in regards to the Fox River in the Fall. Not too many secrets here anymore...guys have had to change tactics to have multiple fish days tho...The Bay is the great unknown for the vast majority of Musky hunters...I've tried fishing it for muskies but always end up pulling crawlers or cranks for walleyes

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(FOX.jpg)

(4salefish2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments FOX.jpg (41KB - 323 downloads)
Attachments 4salefish2.jpg (58KB - 751 downloads)
muskyboy
Posted 12/30/2004 3:05 PM (#129939 - in reply to #129849)

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...No big muskies in WI!
MuskieBum
Posted 12/30/2004 4:39 PM (#129941 - in reply to #129849)

Jo,
The DNR was able to find natural spawning muskies in the bay?? thats cool. must have been dificult?
jlong
Posted 12/30/2004 6:48 PM (#129945 - in reply to #129849)

The DNR had no problem recapturing fish from Green Bay via fyke nets to get eggs for the Wild Rose hatchery in 2004.... thus the termination of the Long Lake broadstock program. However, they still have not verified whether these stocked fish are beginning to reproduce on their own... yet. How I understood their intentions from a recent seminar they gave the C&R Musky Club on the program... they plan to stock as many fish as they can grow in the hatchery UNTIL they can confirm that natural reproduction is taking place. That means the insane number of fish they have been stocking recently will continue for awhile. Thus, I'm in no hurry for them to answer that question (ha ha). With the numbers of larger fingerlings being planted, the Winnebago and Green Bay systems are gonna be a world class fishery in a few years... if it isn't already.

jlong
Reef Hawg
Posted 1/1/2005 4:46 PM (#130074 - in reply to #129849)

I agree Jason. Hopefully they don't find those answers and just keep stocking...LOL. They have been stocking the Fox and sturgeon bay for years, as well as a few other spots. A comprehensive stocking report is available, just can't seem to find my copy. Email me as I may locate it. I can only hope that the egg collection goes well this spring again so there is no need to deal with the Long Lake association any longer. Going to spend much more time there this year on the big pond than past years. River getting too crowded for me. I agree with the above poster, that we had to change our tactics from previous years due to pressure this fall. Now, hopefully Illinois can keep those derned Big head carp out of the system. WI should kick in to assist with this and get that electric barrier rebuilt as soon as possible. We don't want to see the destruction they will bring once they arrive in numbers.

Edited by Reef Hawg 1/1/2005 4:48 PM
dogboy
Posted 1/3/2005 8:38 AM (#130235 - in reply to #129849)

Jason, are you talking carp or FIBS?lol
we recently got a sheet on the fish they stocked this year in the system, through C@R club, anyone who wants it, maybe ask JOmusky.
If I had it handy I would post it.
Its true there really isn't a secret anymore,I just can't wait till everyone in the area starts fishing it hard, there will be fists flying and curse words will be the norm. I fished a lot during the week this fall, and everyday I was out, there was a usual 5-10 boats in front of a certain area, thats fine and all when you can find new productive spots, I could care less, but when conflict starts happening, people getting cut off, unethical treatment of fish,(have pictures of a dead 45) and have seen people mishandle some fish. It really takes the fun out of it, no longer a new frontier, just another hole convention. When you're on that body of water, there is so much tension, I just don't get it. I know my partner feels the same everytime we talk to a new guy that say Its my first time here, heard about it from a guy at work, wow, I caught such and such, this is great! I'm going to bring everyone I know here. It really starts to look like opening walleye to me. In reality, one day it will be just like the CHIP or Minocqua, a big tourist trap, great for our area, bad for us local fishermen.
Now I know I said too much.
mreiter
Posted 1/3/2005 1:43 PM (#130262 - in reply to #129849)

FYI,

In 2004 the DNR stocked a total of 25806 spotted skis at 9 different locations in the Fox River system and Green Bay. Of these fish 25550 were considered fingerlings and averaged 8.6" - 12" in length. The remaining 256 were considered yearlings. 95 of those were 14.8" and the rest were 18".

As Mr. Long stated the DNR could stop this stocking program anytime but does not have a specific date in mind. It should also be noted that the food needed to grow these little buggers in the hatchery has an annual price tag of more than $20K. That money is not state funded and is raised by muskie clubs throughout Wisconsin. WITHOUT that money this program would not exist.

All fish stocked have been fin clipped. All fish that have been recaptured have been stocked fish. Due to many variables it is way too early to tell but at this time there is no sign of natural reproduction. We will have to wait and see............

MR
Reef Hawg
Posted 1/5/2005 8:04 PM (#130438 - in reply to #129849)

mreiter,

we caught a few smaller ones this fall that were neither tagged nor fin clipped. hopefully a good sign.
dogboy
Posted 1/6/2005 7:06 AM (#130454 - in reply to #129849)

we had also caught some very small fish that weren't tagged either, they were in around 18-20 inch range. I think thats what the dnr was stocking for the yearlings though.
I saw a few clipped fins also but some weren't, I wonder if they still clip and tag every fish.
Jayman
Posted 1/6/2005 3:01 PM (#130484 - in reply to #129849)

Bytor,
There are large fish in the system. there was a rumored fish of 54" and 40+ lbs landed this last fall.

Unfortunately it is considered taboo to speak of the Green Bay fish and how great the fishing is on this website among some. Even a local baitshop owner will reply with sneed remarks but still feel the need to brag about the fish he's caught.

The fact is the fishing is fantastic and multiple quality fish days common. There are a large number of fish and the number of anglers pursueing them is growing. In the future we will have to lern to be more respectful of fellow fishermen and perhaps find more places to pursue these fish.

I think there needs to be a proactive stance from muskie fishermen to educate the public about these fish and not treat them as the crowned jewel and kept as a dark secret. I spoke to a friend today that was ice fishing the river for walleyes and found a dead ~30" muskie laying on the ice. This would indicate to me that the "natives are restless" about the numbers of muskies in "their" beloved walleye water. Or maybe I'm wrong.....but I do find that very disturbing that the fish was left for dead, wasted. Mishandled fish will only seem like petty change if this attitude can't be changed and brought about.

While I feel I'm not at liberty to disclose every detail over a public message board regarding any of my favorite fishing spots for any species, feel free to message me and I'll clue you in on catching these "beasts".

Good Luck
mreiter
Posted 1/6/2005 3:53 PM (#130485 - in reply to #129849)

It is great to hear that both of you have caught small fish that did not have a tag or were fin clipped. I think the fisheries biologist would be interested in hearing specifics about those fish in the future.

It is also a shame to hear that someone left one for seagull food. As of this time there are not any "Muskie" info signs at any of the landings to inform the public of them and the size limit. The fisheries biologist is aware of that problem and they will be there next season.

It is way too early to say this is a great fishery. Although multiple fish days do happen it is very easy to get skunked...........and get a wiff of skunky air

MR
lobi
Posted 1/6/2005 3:56 PM (#130486 - in reply to #129849)

I know nothing of the program but I'm glad for who ever will be able to fish for them. They are a beautiful fish for sure.
They are all we have here in Lake St Clair. I sure wish a few more would get planted in a few small lakes closer to my home.

(Great Lakes Spotted.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Great Lakes Spotted.jpg (139KB - 254 downloads)
Reef Hawg
Posted 1/6/2005 6:02 PM (#130494 - in reply to #129849)

reiter, the DNR was there shocking on several days that we were there and sampled several of the fish that were caught, either by measuring them, or taking creel surveys. We told them about each fish we boated when they would ask.
CiscoKid
Posted 1/6/2005 8:46 PM (#130510 - in reply to #129849)

I had also caught a 41 1/2" and a 42" this year that was neither fin clipped nor tagged. I assumed that these were stockers that just didn't get marked by any method, but I am now glad to see that perhaps they were naturals.
dogboy
Posted 1/7/2005 10:33 AM (#130540 - in reply to #129849)

I heard when they first were starting out, it didn't matter, fin clipped or not they were stocked,what ever they could use to mark a fish with was done, all the tags you see in this system are all different. some of them say oshkosh, green bay, some are green, some are orange, I'm sure a lot of fish are stockers that were never clipped. But I have seen some slightly different looking fish out there too.
Like I said before, any info anyone has on fish you caught this year or previous years that were tagged will greatly help the dnr to better understand whats going on out there.