So. Wis/ Fox Chain Turnover this weekend?
Husky_Jerk
Posted 10/13/2004 8:29 AM (#121200)
Subject: So. Wis/ Fox Chain Turnover this weekend?

Here is my problem (one of them) I have tickets to the Bears game Sunday. If I go, that means no fishing this weekend. My inclination of course is to unload the tickets and go fishing. However, the water temp on the chain have been sinking into the upper 50's with cold weather ahead. Do you think the chain and other lakes in the area will be turning this weekend or already turned. I also heard or read that the chain does not have a typical turnover because of the moving water. I need some advice quick so I can unload these tickets and get out. If not, I can get the brew and charcoal.
muskyboy
Posted 10/13/2004 10:45 AM (#121219 - in reply to #121200)
Subject: RE: So. Wis/ Fox Chain Turnover this weekend?

1-3 Bears vs. 1-4 Skins, I say go fishing. However, if you have not been to the stadium since it was remodeled, then go to the game. It used to be literally the worst sports stadium in the country and now it is actually pretty nice!
ghoti
Posted 10/13/2004 12:34 PM (#121237 - in reply to #121200)

Silly question- the game is on the radio, fishing isn't... I've never seen a stadium that rivals the beauty of a lake in the fall. Just fish. Save football for when the water gets hard.
Husky Jerk
Posted 10/13/2004 1:04 PM (#121243 - in reply to #121200)

The question as worded IS really silly. How about this, I don't want to give up tickets to fish a lake that is in turnover. Will the chain be turned by this weekend? Does it turn at all? It is a no brainer except the turnover issue. hj
p.s. MuskyBoy, I am a season ticket holder and the old Soldier Field was the worst. I still have a rat run across my feet from time to time.
muskycore
Posted 10/13/2004 1:40 PM (#121248 - in reply to #121243)

Lake Catherine turns for sure.
I miss the old Soldier Field urine troughs. When your double fisted you can put one of your beers in the ice filled trough to free up your hand while keeping your beer cold.
You gotta be man
Posted 10/13/2004 2:25 PM (#121256 - in reply to #121248)

MUSKYCORE, That is unless you miss then you will warm up your beer, but you will also be re-filling it

Luke_Chinewalker
Posted 10/13/2004 4:05 PM (#121263 - in reply to #121200)

Nah she won't go that fast. Surface temps are just that, surface. When you see 58 on the screen in the morning and 63+ in the afternoon, I would bet a couple feet down it never really changed from 63 when the surface temp dropped a few degrees overnight. Does anyone have one of those temp sensors that can read well below the surface? We are supposed to get a lot of wind with this front tomorrow. Won't that keep the lake more thuroughly mixed keeping the heavy water from building up on the surface as much?
Thad
Posted 10/14/2004 6:23 AM (#121304 - in reply to #121200)

Turnover or not ~ who cares ... the fish don't care. They still have to eat.

Just slow down a bit and fish really shallow. Turnover can be a good time to be on the water if you are a caster.

Good Luck!
Thad