Shady Moon Report?
Shep
Posted 10/5/2004 10:21 AM (#120573)
Subject: Shady Moon Report?

Any news from the Shady Moon outing gang? GregM, were you up Sunday? When you going back? Talk to anybody? What's the haps? What's going on? Anybody get a piggie? Has Shady kept his pants up around his waist? How's the food? The rooms? the fishing!!??
Mark H.
Posted 10/5/2004 12:31 PM (#120584 - in reply to #120573)
Subject: RE: Shady Moon Report?

Shep,

I talked to Sluggo this morning, they are seeing a few fish but nothing in the boat yet. Warm front predicted for the end of the week. They are eating like kings. Cady had to go back to the cities for a day or two.

Talked to Greg this morning he is going up Thursday after work.

I think I might head up tomorrow for two days, not sure yet.
Mark H.
Posted 10/6/2004 6:17 AM (#120631 - in reply to #120573)

Talked to Sluggo again last night. Teck got a 47" trolling, Theedz missed a nice one, and quite a few of them are seeing fish.

I'm headed up this afternoon, will be back home Friday night or Saturday morning to spend some quality time in the duck blind with my favorite blonde.

Warmer weather for Cass today, front coming tomorrow. The reed bite should kick in today or tomorrow morning.

sworrall
Posted 10/6/2004 6:30 PM (#120689 - in reply to #120631)

Way to go TECK!! Theedzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, set that hook, man! Hope I can gert up there Friday, not holding my breath, though.
Pepper
Posted 10/6/2004 9:01 PM (#120695 - in reply to #120573)

So how do these outings work lodging and food wise? Do you get your own cabin or bunk up with whoever? If the cabin hold six are you in with 4 strangers? How does the cooking work out? Cleaning etc. I've been fishing with guys many times but we all knew each other and could be in the same cabin together without a murder or suicide for a week.
Shep
Posted 10/7/2004 8:54 AM (#120723 - in reply to #120695)

The only murder I have knowledge of was at the first Shady Moon outing. It was Saturday night, and the deceased was Shady's shorts! Seems he shat hisself while waiting for Steve W. to bring Curly back from the hook removal Doctor.

Seriously, these outings work out great, even if you don't know your roomies prior to. You'll fit right in quick enough, as long as you share info and duties. The first MF outings were a lot of fun, and I have made lasting friendships with the guys, and gals, I have met through them. Last year at LOTW, we had 27 attendees, some of who were first timers, and everybody got along great. Look for next years outings info an the near future.
Pepper
Posted 10/7/2004 11:03 AM (#120736 - in reply to #120573)

Thanks, I don't have friends that are seriously into Muskie Fishing so next year I was thinking of making it to one of the outings
tomyv
Posted 10/7/2004 12:20 PM (#120742 - in reply to #120736)

The outings are a complete and total blast. I guarantee you will have a good time, make some good friends, and maybe catch some fish. If you can make it to one, DOOOOOOOOO ITTTTTT.
Ranger
Posted 10/7/2004 7:48 PM (#120776 - in reply to #120742)

I must agree that the M1 outings are always excellent. Always. I've made lasting friendships and learned more than I could have imagined.

Funny thing - these outings create friendships between folks who would otherwise never have anything to do with each other. For example, I'm a lean-left Deadhead liberal and Shep is a way right conservative. But we get along, and respect (well, tolerate) each other's opinions, because we have the muskie thing in common. So these outings provide an opportunity for strong friendhips among folks of drastically different value systems.

And the food is always great.
lpeitso
Posted 10/8/2004 12:33 PM (#120846 - in reply to #120573)

I was up there Tuesday and Wednesday. Breaks were grinding, so I came down to take care of them on Thursday. Phish Killer and I saw 7 ski on Wednesday, and PK caught a 36". All I could manage were follows, and 3 pike. Everyone was pumped, because they were seeing more fish Wednesday than we did on Tuesday. I had a good time, I just wish I could have stayed for a couple days more. Turned out to be a good thing I came home, as my wife had to go into the doctor's office after I got home. She is doing alright, but it was good I was home to watch the kids. I will have to try to get more time off for the next trip.

Lance
muskypuke
Posted 10/12/2004 2:47 PM (#121130 - in reply to #120573)

Any grand totals for this outing? Heard a couple reports from a couple guys... but there was a pretty substantial group up at BOTL if I recall. Anyone who was up there care to do the "wrap-up" of this trip? Any photos? I was up there with some buddies for 4 days prior to the outing. Fishing was a little slow then, and it didn't sound like it changed too much after we left. Still curious. Give it up! Thanks.

Mark
lpeitso
Posted 10/12/2004 3:06 PM (#121136 - in reply to #120573)

I talked to PK as he was coming back into town. I guess Thursday he stuck 2 in the 40's. Then I guess the wind picked up, and they didn't get out much after that. Hopefully either Phish Killer, Teck, or Jonesi will fill in the details.

Lance
Steve Jonesi
Posted 10/12/2004 3:06 PM (#121137 - in reply to #120573)

Ok, here's the skinny(no not Shady).There were 8-12 people there for the week. Some were there the whole week, some weren't.I'll save the play by play.Fishin' was tough.Water temps were upper 50's to lower 50's for the week.Everyone raised fish daily, but tough getting them to eat.Some big fish showed themselves on Cass too.A couple dinks were boated, PK had a triple with 36,43 and a 45 from the Riviera,Teck had a 47 trolling a Rad Dog on Cass and the Muskie Gods smiled upon me the last day(Saturday) with a 48.Toughest fishing of the year for sure.A couple days, the wind was so bad, the 62" shaft on my trolling motor wasn't long enough.Taking waves over the bow of the 620 trying to quarter into the wind to work an area as effectively as possible.It even rained sideways for awhile.Lots of discussion about turnover last week.Fish can still be caught during turnover, just may take a little longer.Gotta learn to fish better.Right PK? It was a great gig and had the opportunity to hang with some new and old friends for a week in Northern Minnesota."It don't get no better than this". Steve
Phish Killer
Posted 10/12/2004 4:00 PM (#121143 - in reply to #120573)

Yep, fish are catchable during turnover if you learn to fish better!

Jonesi, call me when you get into town and maybe you, me and Shady can go pound some metro fatties.
TECK
Posted 10/12/2004 4:03 PM (#121145 - in reply to #120573)

I May not have got a lot of fish but I did have a real good time . This is one trip I would like to do next Year . Now I have to pack for the N.W. Angle I think it's going to be a cold trip.
Netman
Posted 10/12/2004 8:17 PM (#121174 - in reply to #120573)

We saw some big fish but couldn't get anything to bite, I think I was fishing to fast. When I slowed down there were pike on the end of the line, the ski's showed up on faster retrieves, but wouldn't commit.
The group was great, all ages with different experiences, it's something you have to come out and do. The food was shared but as we all know most Muskie Hunters are cheap. But it's only cash, you can't pay enough to meet all the different personalities.
I can't wait to the end of the month on Okauchee for "The Kly's Klassic"(I know that he'll be with us all). I'll see you all there, don't miss the chance, life's to short.

Netman