Tiger Muskies In The Summer
muskiekid
Posted 8/16/2004 6:49 PM (#115459)
Subject: Tiger Muskies In The Summer

In the warm-water period (today, temps on the surface have been 81 degrees) it seems that Tiger Muskellunge catches drop, and those that ARE caught, are small. I have a theory, backed-up by SOME fish catches (no expert here), that there still are large Tigers in our lake. After all...."the fish don't leave town on vacation." Wondering if those of you that fish for Tigers agree with this and have fish catches to back it up?

A few of us here (I live in Maryland) have gone around and around on this one, asking the question "where are the bigger Tiger Muskellunge?" Some come up with the (wrong) answer to this question stating (in error): "there are no more large Tiger Muskies in our lake." They say this because they fail to change their tactics (they are still fishing shallow) and end up with nothing or the smaller "dinks" during this period.

Anglers will find themselves catching large Tigers in the shallows in the beginning of the spring season, and (again) later on in the fall. However, during the hot weather months, (I will repeat this - hot weather) all they catch are the smaller fish. I can tell you where they are from personal experience - most of the big fish are in deep water!!! I've caught them there myself.

Difference between Tigers and "natural strain Muskies?" Although "naturals" do suspend in deep water at times. I've found that the main difference between the species is that the larger Tigers do not tolerate the warmer summer waters as well as Muskellunge, and like their relatives, the Northern Pike - they go to the deeper cooler waters (typical pike behavior).

There are a couple of methods of determining where this cooler water is:

1. find the springs or
2. use a temper gauge (about $29 at Galyan's or Bass Pro) and drop it down to get temperature readings at various depths. Surface temperatures are not an indication of where the fish are in this case! When you come to a drastic change (as much as 10 degrees in as many feet) - you have found the cooler water (perhaps the thermocline).

How to find the springs? The easiest way is to visit your lake in the winter during hard water times (ice). Open spots in the lake may be springs. Try those areas in the summer.

"Now, if you find/fish an area in which there is some sort of structure (underwater trees, perhaps) that is also in this cool water zone - you may find yourself with a large Tiger Muskellunge on the end of your line."

Question: "how do you fish an area like this?" Ans:"The way I do it is by trolling deep-diving crankbaits (usually 15-25' deep). Jigging those areas will also work for some people (I prefer to troll). Casting will work. However, to keep your lures deep in this "comfort zone," trolling is the best way to get your lures deep & keep them there."

Remember.....Tiger Muskellunge are 1/2 Northern Pike and 1/2 Muskie. In my opinion, the "Northern in them" affects their behavior and you must fish deeper for them in the hot summer months. Try this - it may work for you.

Your experience with this? Thanks - Tom

Edited by muskiekid 8/16/2004 6:52 PM
raw fish
Posted 8/17/2004 9:13 AM (#115494 - in reply to #115459)
Subject: RE: Tiger Muskies In The Summer

Why are you fishing for tigers in HOT water? Large Hybrids prefer water in the 60's. Pulling them into the 80's will KILL some of them. Fish for something else until the water cools.
muskiekid
Posted 8/17/2004 9:41 AM (#115498 - in reply to #115459)

Your opinion is respected. Mine is different. I fish for them on my terms - not others. The hybrids are placed in the lakes for us to catch them. Unlike Muskies that reproduce, the population does not suffer if I choose to keep one (I CPR all of them). Other than one fish, all of the Tigers that I have caught (over nine years of fishing for them specifically) appear to be healthy when I release them. All are water-releases. Yes, one has to be careful with them in the summer.

Your post belongs on here as a different thread - not here.

Edited by muskiekid 8/17/2004 9:52 AM
Posted 8/17/2004 9:53 AM (#115499 - in reply to #115459)

No. That would not be an opinion thing. It is very well documented that fishing for Musky in accelerated water temps causes a lot of mortality. Your not going to get answers to this because the anglers here leave Muskys alone in adverse conditions like water 80 degrees and warmer.
Jomusky
Posted 8/17/2004 12:25 PM (#115515 - in reply to #115459)

Great start of a post Tom

Sorry to see the other posts.

Don't let them bother you.

80 surface water temp is really not that warm....I'm sure it drops quickly with depth....and he did mention how he is careful with the fish. It's not like he is fishing musky in Florida in the summer.

I too believe the fish are deeper during warmer water temps.
sorenson
Posted 8/17/2004 12:48 PM (#115517 - in reply to #115459)

Tom,
I would tend to agree w/ you. My experience has thusfar shown that smaller tigers will be found shallower in the summer than their older counterparts. I really can't say if it's a temperature preference though. Our reservoirs don't reach the surface temps you are seeing in your lakes. It could be a combination of temperature preference and forage availability. Our bigger perch and crappies will be found deeper in the summer and that's also where the predators will be. The smaller panfish will still be relating as long as possible to any innundated vegetation (regardless of temperature) and that's where the smaller tigers seem to be caught. So for your situation, it may indeed be a temperature seeking type of behavior, but for my fish I think forage availability is driving it a bit more. It is completely likely that both have lots to do with it though.
K.
C.Painter
Posted 8/17/2004 1:16 PM (#115519 - in reply to #115517)

When tigers were more abundant here in madison people did well in the heat of the summer near springs....jst like you mentioned. Actually some of the springs are in very shallow water...and the fish were there.

Cory
muskiekid
Posted 8/17/2004 4:30 PM (#115535 - in reply to #115459)

If your are to criticize me or my website, get my name straight. It's Tom Pinckney. Kind of wondering why those of you that criticize others never seem to use their own names?

I live in Maryland and yes, I have my own website. It is the only one of it's kind and it promotes fishing for Tiger Muskellunge. Compared to the "national Musky boards", my site is small by comparison. The website has recieved about 40,000 hits in four years. However, I'm presently getting about 1500 hits a day on the forum. In the area in which I live there is no other source of information about fishing for Tiger Muskellunge. Quite frankly, I put one heck of a lot of time on it to increase the interest in fishing for Tiger Muskellunge.

As far as my website goes, yes, there are photos of fish there. Many of them were taken by me and you are correct - they were not water releases. Most of them were not caught during the summer, but during spring or fall. I don't believe there are ANY photos of fish with me out of the water THIS year.

I would like to clarify some things: I have since gone to releasing all of my fish in the water if I am fishing by myself. If I fish with a partner (seldom), I will get a photo of it if it's a big one. The little guys are always water-released. I do practice CPR at all times. However, if I were to catch a record fish, I just might keep it. I also went (on my website) to "no verticle holds" rule on the photo section. However, in the event of a fish to be mounted, a record fish - I will bend the rules. I will also bend the rules for a first time fish.

Thanks to those of you that responded to my post, especially those that stuck to the subject matter. I had an idea that I would get blasted by some people. However, I do the best I can to promote fishing for Tiger Muskies in my area (and elsewhere). According to a Maryland DNR biologist that I recently talked to, the main reason that they were stocked (beginning in 1987) was to add another gamefish for sportsmena to pursue AND (secondary) to eat undesirable species. I don't believe lifting them out of the water for a quick photo or EVEN keeping them if you like. is a problem. After all - they don't reproduce and are restocked every year.

We would like the DNR to contiunue stocking. However, they get little feedback at all. No feedback endangers the program. It gives the DNR the idea that there's little interest in them. I personally send copies of the pictures that are submitted to my site to the DNR, along with stories of how they are caught. If you check with others living elsewhere, you will find out that stocking has been discontinued OR cut back. I don't want that to happen here.

It's ok to have your own policy about keeping fish, photos out of the water, verticle holds, etc. Just remember.....it's YOUR policy and I respect it. I expect the same from others. Wondering...what have you done to promote fishing in your area?

Edited by muskiekid 8/17/2004 5:24 PM