Abu D5 issue--seems like levelwind is sticking
PapaJoe
Posted 8/12/2004 8:55 AM (#115009)
Subject: Abu D5 issue--seems like levelwind is sticking

Hi All,
Well I grabbed a D5 this winter and had pretty good luck except for a few times where the bail wouldn't close properly but now I have a problem I am stumped on.
When reeling in a bucktail, the reel works fine UNTIL I try to burn it. As soon as there's pressure on the reel, the handle sticks on every crank. Assuming that the issue is with the levelwind, I looked it over, then cleaned and lightly lubed it. But I still get such a bad hesitation on every crank that I had to pull the reel off my Fig Rig.

Any ideas?

I might have an isue with the brake discs too, a friend who is a novice wanted to take a look inside, and disassembled it before this started happening, so it could be a moronship issue. (The bail closing issue is also a little worse than before, but it's the sticking that made me pull the reel off.)

Thanks,
Papa Joe
Mark H.
Posted 8/12/2004 10:34 AM (#115030 - in reply to #115009)
Subject: RE: Abu D5 issue--seems like levelwind is sticking

PapaJoe...

Suggest you send it to Abu with a letter... They have been good in the past.

I love my C5's and Ultra Cast's and my C4's but I think they made a mistake with that new series IMHO... I am no engineer but I didn't like what I saw when I looked at one last winter. Hence most of the C5's that were in stock in many places went like wild fire and you can't find a ultra Cast to save your hiney anymore...

Sure wish they would bring back the C5 witouth the magnetic brake (don't need it) and the Ultra Cast... I have about a dozen Abu's and love them, parts availability is good, service is usually good and their easy to work on. But I am seriously looking at Tica next time I need a reel. If parts availability is good on them they seem to be a darn smooth reel for the $$.
lambeau
Posted 8/12/2004 10:43 AM (#115034 - in reply to #115009)

my buddy had a Tica Caiman go tits-up on him first time out. all the gearing was b-a-d. i ribbed him endlessly, somewhat because he was talked into buying the Tica when he was drinking at a club meeting, but mostly about not sticking with Abus because of how simple they are to work on, etc. - basically bombproof in my experience. both my biggest fish (this year, and ever) were caught on a rock-steady 6500C3 that i bought back in fall of '97. still running smooth as a dream.

on their behalf however, he sent the Tica in to the company and they sent him an entirely new reel. pretty good service on their part, so that speaks well. he has been trouble-free with the new reel since.

Edited by lambeau 8/12/2004 10:45 AM
Tim Kelly
Posted 8/12/2004 11:17 AM (#115043 - in reply to #115009)

I expect the frame is twisting when you burn the reel and that is causing the spool to touch the frame or some of the gears inside to go slightlyt out of true. I don't think they really designed this reel for heavy musky fishing, just another bass reel with cast controls for beginners.