CANADA QUESTION.
MuskieBum
Posted 8/11/2004 10:55 PM (#114967)
Subject: CANADA QUESTION.

My buddy and I (who has never fished musky) want to make a huge road trip with my 17' bass tracker. Does anyone have any suggestions, as of now were just gonna drive and stop and tent when we see water. We were thinking LOTW.

Any suggestions about LOTW right now, if we just fish the weeds will we get any action? also my buddie is only 19, will he have any trouble getting across the border?

if you have any good smaller lakes in the area that would be great because my boat is small. private message me if you'd like.
thanks guys
slay em and let em go.

mikie
Posted 8/12/2004 6:20 AM (#114983 - in reply to #114967)
Subject: RE: CANADA QUESTION.

For my humble opinion, LOTW is pretty big water for that boat. I think Red Wing Lodge offers camping at their parking lot, but I'd call first. Why not fish Cass Lake or Big Lake, Bemidji area, you won't hassle with border issues, either. When in doubt, a notarized statement from your buddy's parent(s) is never a bad idea and bring photo IDs and birth certificates. m
release
Posted 8/12/2004 7:51 AM (#114991 - in reply to #114967)

Also, I believe if you are talking Ontario, at least, you can't legally just camp anywhere. Only Canadian citizens can camp away from campgrounds. So be careful up there.
Bukes
Posted 8/12/2004 10:45 AM (#115035 - in reply to #114967)

If you are camping on crown land you will need a crown land permit.
cpr fish
Posted 8/12/2004 11:19 AM (#115044 - in reply to #114967)

LOTW rules! Any chance you have to go would be a good one. Jake's Northwest Angle resort has camping available with electrified docks. Call for rates and availability. Very close to great fishing with Islands all the way to the big norrows to protect you from wind. You'll find fish in the weeds and rocks this time of year. The border crossing at Warroad MN to access the Angle is gravy compared to most.

Otherwise the lakes in MN have awesome potential! Any of the above mentioned probably have tent camping on the water or close by.

Good luck!!
Musky Alan
Posted 8/12/2004 3:21 PM (#115109 - in reply to #114967)

Is your boat a semi-vee or V hull? If not, please be very careful if the wind picks up. I am not trying to scare you, but I have been through swells that I would swear were five to six feet. Al
goalie50
Posted 8/12/2004 6:29 PM (#115129 - in reply to #114967)

The other question I have is what fuel capacity do you have? It is amazing how fast 15 gallons can go. Be careful and watch the wind. I took my son and all he needed was a drivers license. Right now it has been a rock bite. Black was the preferred color. Topwaters at low light. If you prefer smaller water head up to Leech and if it is blowing to hard you can go to Wabedo, Woman, Baby, Iguadonna, Little Boy. All these are in the Longville area and have public accesses.
Muskiebum
Posted 8/14/2004 6:29 PM (#115307 - in reply to #114967)

Thanks guys, great helpl.

I only have a 25 hp bass tracker 165. very shallow boat that can't handle waves. I'll probably have to stick to minnesotaa. Any prestine lakes that we can camp at with some slobs>???

great site. thanks
goalie50
Posted 8/17/2004 5:10 PM (#115536 - in reply to #114967)

I'd go to the Leech Lake/Longville area. There are a number of lakes to fish up there regardless of the wind and the style of boat. You can fish the Agency Bay area of Leech. You can also hit some of the bays Portage and Sucker. There was a 50 plus fish taken 2 weeks ago. Also just a short drive is Wabedo, Little Boy, Iggadonna, Baby and Man. Stop at Reed's in Walker MN and they will help you out
mikie
Posted 8/18/2004 6:32 AM (#115566 - in reply to #114967)

MuskieBum, e-mail or PM me, I have a couple ideas but if I put them on a public site the Thick One will be after my hide. m