boat batteries-AGAIN
muskynightmare
Posted 6/13/2004 5:22 PM (#109634)
Subject: boat batteries-AGAIN

Sorry, I know this topic has been beat like a sucker in fall, but.....
I got 3 deep cycle batteries on my boat (1 crank, and no I dont have an altenator, 1 for the trollong motor, and 1 for lights/accessories/ back up trolling motor). My question is is that i got a schumacher charger (no, no on-board one), and I charge my batteries on the 30 amp cycle. One battery, which has a green eye to show it has a full charge, supposedly "takes" a charge, however, has no snot to turn the trolling motor. I hooked up my multimeter, and the it reads 12.36 volts, and the amps read 4.57. what are they supposed to read? My Fianc'e and I are heading to Boulder junction for a week next weekend.
Thanx in advance!
kevin
Posted 6/13/2004 7:27 PM (#109637 - in reply to #109634)
Subject: RE: boat batteries-AGAIN

I would only charge on 10 amp and would highly reccomend a charger with a deep cycle setting(like exide Nautilus charger). Make sure its also fully automatic(like I think the Nautilus should be).Just threw the fluke across both of mine, one reads 12.9vdc, the other reads 12.98vdc. I thought I read somewhere that they should read maybe 13.6... not sure if thats right though, ewspecially since both batteries are freshly charged and one is less then a week old. My fluke doesn't read amps, so couldn't measure that.
Beaver
Posted 6/13/2004 7:51 PM (#109638 - in reply to #109634)

I really think that one of the best investments that any boat owner can make is an on-board charger. Plug 'em in and they do the rest.
I've got 3 batteries in my rig. A starting battery, and 2-150 amp deep cyle batteries rigged parallel. That solved any of my power concerns. I can run for a three day weekend without any worries or a drop in power.
You can also get a battery guage that tells you the state of charge and condition of your battery. Not sure how much they cost, but they take the guesswork out of the state of your electrical system.
Beav
Craig Eversoll
Posted 6/13/2004 8:51 PM (#109640 - in reply to #109634)

A 30 amp charger across three batteries in parallel is only putting roughly 10 amps across each of the batteries (it depends on the state of each battery but it suffices to say that a 30 amp charger for three batteries is just fine).

I'm assuming by your message that the three batteries are seperate from one another except when you charge them.

It sure sounds to me like your trolling motor battery is shot. I wouldn't rely on the "eye' of the battery and a voltage reading is always accurate either. A very bad battery can read a decent voltage right after charging but will provide inadequate amperage when it is put under a load (like your trolling motor). I don't know how you too the amperage reading but it would only be accurate if the meter is put electrically between the battery. 4.5 amps with the motor running sounds pretty low to me but then again I've never really measured it before.

Check out your motor with one of your other batteries. I'd be willing to bet that the others make your motor work just fine which means the green eyed one is dead.

Craig
kevin
Posted 6/13/2004 8:58 PM (#109641 - in reply to #109634)

Forgot to mention I have a "Green Eyed" one that I am putting in front of the house so the junk man can pick it up in the morning... Haven't bothered to check the voltage, but figure with how it was shutting off the depthfinder every time a hit the trolling motor button...plus the lights dimming.... and I had just charged it.. Bought it July of 1999, so it had its run I am sure.. Ironically the eye was always black on this one when fully charged.... only turned green when low...oposite of how it susposed to be...
archerynut36
Posted 6/13/2004 9:12 PM (#109643 - in reply to #109634)

hey kevin, i dont think that the trashman will take it. i know we are not sopposed too. well hope to see u soon on the water....bill
ESOX Maniac
Posted 6/13/2004 9:19 PM (#109645 - in reply to #109634)

There are two distinct probabilities 1. The battery is bad or 2 the battery is just not getting fully charged. Your battery should be fully charged within 24 hrs. Seeing as you have a multimeter, I'd charge it for at least 24 hrs. Then take off the charger and let it set for 4-8 hours. Measure the battery voltage, if it's under 12.5V you might need a new battery.

But you also may want to check the output of your charger and your AC supply voltage. Sometimes with cheaper chargers if the AC voltage is low the charger cannot put out it's full rated DC voltage. This is not an uncommon problem at marina docks and/or if you use a long extension cord.

Look at the data plate on the charger it should have the DC output voltage listed. Your AC supply should be ~ 120V. Hook the charger up to a battery that measures full charge (~12.7V) turn on the charger. The voltage should go up to at least 13.5V to 14.4V.

A fully charged 12V battery should read ~12.7V at rest, thats after setting 4-8hours without being charged.

5 years or 100-200 deep discharges is about right on the average deep cycle battery.

Al
muskynightmare
Posted 6/13/2004 9:23 PM (#109648 - in reply to #109634)

Thanx so much for all of your input Gentleman. My Fianc'e and i are picking up a new battery before our trip north.
kevin
Posted 6/14/2004 5:39 AM (#109660 - in reply to #109634)

Got a local junk man that comes around night before garbage pickup and grabs stuff like that... so I doubt that the garbage men will even see it...