Garmin 162 Gps Unit and Downloading Maps
Musky Alan
Posted 5/22/2004 7:37 PM (#107466)
Subject: Garmin 162 Gps Unit and Downloading Maps

I am going to be getting a Garmin model 162 Gps Unit, does anyone own one and have you downloaded maps to it and do you have any recommedations? Thanks, Al
Beaver
Posted 5/22/2004 9:26 PM (#107475 - in reply to #107466)
Subject: RE: Garmin 162 Gps Unit and Downloading Maps

I have the 162 and loaded the MN Hot Spots map into it. Just follow the directions.
I expected to see contour lines as soon as I broght up the map, but you have to zoom to within 200ft before the contour lines show up. It helps to have maps already. I had Hot Spots maps of 3 lakes already, so it was easy to look at the computer and mark points and inside turns with names ans way points right away without having to look all over the map.
Read the directions, hook it up, get all the women in your family in another room and play around with it.
Did I mention to read the directions?
Beav
PunchandJudy
Posted 5/23/2004 7:01 AM (#107482 - in reply to #107475)

We have the 162, great unit for the price. One thing do not lose your unlock codes for the maps you download.
mikes
Posted 5/27/2004 8:38 PM (#108022 - in reply to #107466)

I have the 168. I think it is basically the same thing but it also has a sounder built in. I am not sure if this is a problem with the 162 or not, but mine can take a long time for the GPS to refresh the screen. The only time this was a real issue for me was at Sabaskong. I didn't know the water at all and I relied upon it heavily for navigation.

You should also know that on some of the HOTSpot maps, the lake contours aren't very detailed or accurate for that matter. If you know the lakes you are fishing, it is pretty easy to mark up the maps on your computer then upload the data to your GPS. I will say though that the Sabaskong maps did worked very well. So well in fact, we were able to fish well after dark, miles from camp and were able to find our way back without hitting anything. There is no way we would have been able to do that without those maps.

In all, I am pretty satisfied with mine.