transom mt. trolling motor advice
FishHateMe
Posted 5/21/2004 1:26 PM (#107374)
Subject: transom mt. trolling motor advice

<p>I'm looking to pick up a transom mounted trolling motor for a 14' aluminum boat.  Need some advice as I've never bought one:</p><p>- what pound thrust is adequate for this size boat? </p><p>- what kind of battery do I need and where's the best place to pick one up?  Most tackle or sporting goods dealers don't carry batteries</p><p>- what kind of charger should I get?  Saw a little Minnekota portable charger for $69.00 at BPS.  Is this a good deal and will it do the job?  </p><p>Thanks all. </p><p /><p />
mikie
Posted 5/21/2004 1:49 PM (#107376 - in reply to #107374)
Subject: RE: transom mt. trolling motor advice

I'm not familiar with your rig, so let me say you should get the motor with the most pounds of thrust that you can reasonably afford. A lot depedns on what you want to do with it, but more thrust will give you more flexibility. Be sure the shaft is long enough for your transom.

As for the battery, there are ratings on the deep cycle battery that I dunno much about, check with your dealer. It's kinda like cold cranking amps but not quite. Maybe your owners book for the motor will guide you. Again, buy a good one, it may not be the cheapest but you want it to last. Also, will you be running other appliances off it, or even starting your gas motor from it? There are batteries that both deep cycle and start, I doubt they do both very well though.

Charger - I have a Sears charger that will charge at both 10 amps and 2 amps, deep cycle or regular, and has an automatic shut off so if you forget or go to sleep the battery won't over-charge. That's a good feature. I always leave a light on in the boat garage when I'm charging to remind me that's goin on, as your age nears 50 you'll need to think of such things, too. good luck, m
ToddM
Posted 5/21/2004 8:37 PM (#107400 - in reply to #107374)

The ever famous minnkota 36lb thrust motor will work fine. You can pick them up fairly reasonable at bass pro, ect. I see that you are in downers, goto or call battery service corp in bensenville. They can get you what you need and even deliver it to your door. They are battery savants and have a great selection.
FishHateMe
Posted 5/22/2004 4:45 PM (#107460 - in reply to #107374)

<p>Sounds good.  Thanks for the advice, guys.  Todd, I'll call Battery Service Corp. </p><p>I see BPS is selling their 40# Endura for the same price as a 36#.  Guess I'll get a 40!</p><p /><p> </p>