Marine Band Radio Recommendations?
twitcher
Posted 5/7/2004 3:13 PM (#106178)
Subject: Marine Band Radio Recommendations?

The boat I'm looking at is w/o a marine band radio and since I intend on taking it on big water on occasion, I'm going to be getting one put on. Any recommendations on them?
sputterbug
Posted 5/10/2004 8:27 AM (#106310 - in reply to #106178)
Subject: RE: Marine Band Radio Recommendations?

My brother and I put the ICom 402 with DSC in our boats and have been happy with them. If you have room, install the large Shakespeare fiberglass antenna on a ratchet mount for good communication range. The trick is figuring out the best place to install the antenna so it works and stows easily and isn't in the way when casting or trolling. Install it with a barrel connector if you'd like to be able to easily remove the antenna from the boat. They make some connectors that more easily pierce the wire insulation (think we got those at Radio Shack). I was real happy with the way ours turned out. For pics of mine see the topic I started called "rigged and ready", search the archives for "VHF" (last may).

Shep was a huge source of info as we tackled this. Another thanks...

Here's an old and probably somewhat biased review, but had good info:
http://www.icomamerica.com/marine/pbr_reprint_for_web.pdf

Post here with questions and we'll try to help
Shep
Posted 5/11/2004 8:29 PM (#106483 - in reply to #106310)
Subject: RE: Marine Band Radio Recommendations?

I have a Uniden Oceanus. Pretty good radio. They now have it with DSC, so you can connect your gPS and it would broadcast your position should you have an emergency. Most radio's are pretty good. The ICOM mentioned is a great unit. Lot's of features, and a good name. There are radios out there to cover all price ranges.

I feel the key to optimal Marine Radio performance is the Antenna. Do not short yourself here.

Here's a link on the antenna and install.

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=96...

Good luck, and give me a holler if you need any help.