Lowrance X-15
twitcher
Posted 5/7/2004 11:26 AM (#106160)
Subject: Lowrance X-15

Anyone use this unit before? What is the quality and detail of the maps you can load up on it?

I'm looking at a boat that has this unit on it and would appreciate some input - both good and bad.

tia

Twitcher
Shep
Posted 5/7/2004 11:48 AM (#106161 - in reply to #106160)
Subject: RE: Lowrance X-15

One of the best sonars I've ever used. Hot maps are available for many states/regions. For example, the WI map has over 200 lakes on it. Good detail and accuracy has been improved. I'm keeping mine, and will add a X-19 in the near future.
Muskie Treats
Posted 5/7/2004 1:36 PM (#106168 - in reply to #106160)

I just had Grampa Joe put mine on last night. Pretty sweet! Lots of detail and you can run a split screen easily. The only thing I think is funny, is that it's huge off the side of the councel. Almost to the point where it's like a 3rd windscreen.
Mother
Posted 5/7/2004 2:51 PM (#106172 - in reply to #106160)

Twitcher,

Very nice unit as far as resolution, detail and target separation but, it is time consuming and
difficult to navigate through screens/settings/menus and switching to GPS view or split screen.
Feature/capability over load - nice in the manual but out on the water it's just too much clutter.
The screens get very small on split screen mode. It takes a lot of button pushing to make changes.
Boat path is overkill - hard to see if your following a specific contour.

Map quality is very good and you can even alter or make your own maps - nice but, only really useful if you
tournament fish for your livelyhood.

Free software upgrades from the factory as they improve performance or add features.

All that being said i've basically had to restrain a few fishin' buddies from beating the #%$^*()&%$#@ against the hull
or worse.
Factory fixes one software glitch and then it creates another - chasing gremlins.

I would go with seperate units or dedicate it to graph only use and get a seperate chart plotter.

If it breaks/malfunctions you have nothing to work with. With seperates you at least have one working.

Mother

ps - For $1000.00 you can do better.
twitcher
Posted 5/7/2004 3:07 PM (#106177 - in reply to #106160)

Good feeback guys. The bow has a pinpoint 7520 and there is also an x75 on the console so I'm covered in the event of failure of the x-15.

The guy is willing to take the x-15 off and reduce the price by about $500 so based on your feedback I think I'll keep it and just use it for select functions.
TECK
Posted 5/7/2004 4:21 PM (#106181 - in reply to #106160)

The Hot map Chips are not very good . Just like the map.The lake Superior and Real Bottom chips are right on . I didn't like haveing the GPS and sonar on one screen . I got a X135 for the sonar.