Battery water levels, and trailer grease
setme31
Posted 5/3/2004 10:35 AM (#105734)
Subject: Battery water levels, and trailer grease

<font size="2"><p>I have two maintenance questions.</p><p>How do you know when you have put enough grease into your bearings on the trailer? The guy at the store told me that you won't be able to squeeze the gun any more. Well, that never happened. I noticed the grease coming out, so I stopped. When I drove to the lake the next day, my wheels were full of grease. I obviously put too much in.</p><p>What is the correct water level in you batteries? There doesn't appear to be a line or anything on the inside of the battery. If you can see water, does that mean you have enough in there? If you do need to top it off, do you use distilled water?</p><p>Thanks,</p><p>Scott</p></font>
mikie
Posted 5/3/2004 11:30 AM (#105740 - in reply to #105734)
Subject: RE: Battery water levels, and trailer grease

Help me to help you. What kid of hubs do you have on your trailer, are they bearing buddy-type? Or, do they have a rubber cap over the grease nipple?
If they are bearing buddies, follow your directions, whcih tell you to add grease only until the inner cap starts to move and compress against the spring. Fill them all the way out, and when they get hot and the heat expands the grease, you will (and prolly now have) blow the grease seals on the hubs. You'll need to replace them now, since a blown seal can also let water in. I'd resist the urge to take them to the jerk who told you to fill them up in the first place, he may not be a good choice to correct the mess he helped you make.

On the batteries, look into the cell. The casing of the battery is, what, 3/4 of an inch thick at the top? I fill about up to that point, but never up into the black plastic. Yes, use only distilled water. Check after charging. good luck, and remember, the only dumb question is the one that didn't get asked. m
setme31
Posted 5/3/2004 12:09 PM (#105743 - in reply to #105734)

<p>Yes, They are buddy bearings.</p><p>How do I know if I blew the seals?</p><p>Bearing Buddies website says this:</p><p>An automatic pressure relief feature prevents over-filling and over pressurization.  Without this feature, the inner seal will be damaged. Grease can be added to the hub through an easily accessible grease fitting located in the center of the piston. Lubricant level (and pressure) can be checked quickly by pressing on the edge of the moveable piston.</p>

Edited by setme31 5/3/2004 1:22 PM
mikie
Posted 5/3/2004 2:17 PM (#105754 - in reply to #105734)

Look on the inside of each wheel, if there's grease all over then you blew the seal. Now I see what you meant by grease all over your wheel, prolly on the outside of the wheel from the relief valve on the Buddy. I have the older model that does not offer this feature. m

ps. this is starting to remind me of a joke told by Steve Hulbert about the penguin and the ice cream.

Edited by mikie 5/3/2004 2:19 PM
setme31
Posted 5/3/2004 2:48 PM (#105756 - in reply to #105734)

<p>I'm sure the joke is appropriate.  </p><p>Go ahead and tell it!</p>
tuffy1
Posted 5/4/2004 2:35 PM (#105864 - in reply to #105734)

Mikie, on the bearings with the black covers over them, do you have any idea where the heck to get a new cover. It is like a little rubber gromett, but I have checked in about 7000 stores, and can only find the grometts with holes in them for wires to be passed through. Any thoughts????
setme31
Posted 5/4/2004 7:48 PM (#105884 - in reply to #105734)

<p>Are you talking about these?</p><p><a href="http://www.bearingbuddy.com/bra.html">http://www.bearingbuddy.com/bra.html</a></p>
mikie
Posted 5/6/2004 12:16 PM (#106072 - in reply to #105734)

you both have PM's. m