Locator problem
husky_jerk
Posted 4/26/2004 6:10 PM (#105188)
Subject: Locator problem

When I rotate my locater it goes completely blank. I believe it is losing power. When the unit is in the position facing me as I am driving a tiller it works fine. When turned to the front of the boat it is gone. The unit is a Lowrance if that makes any difference. I see no problem with the connections or wires. Any ideas out there as to what the problem is? Has anyone else experienced the same problem? I greatly appreciate any help or advice. hj
esox-dan
Posted 4/26/2004 9:10 PM (#105206 - in reply to #105188)
Subject: RE: Locator problem

Husky jerk,
I ran into this problem a few years back on another boat. Not with a Lowarance though. It ended up being a battery or the connection at the battery(I honestly never really figured it out). Because I threw another battery in and re-worked the battery connections then it worked fine from that day forward. In hindsight, when I was running the big motor it was fine, because the battery was being "trickle" charged so there was enough amps for the locator to work. Then, when I turned the big motor off which was it's "power source" the locator was soon to shut down. I would recommend testing the battery, and putting new connectors on your wires.
Good Luck!
I feel your pain...
husky_jerk
Posted 4/27/2004 7:10 AM (#105253 - in reply to #105188)

Thanks Dan
tuffy1
Posted 4/27/2004 8:23 AM (#105261 - in reply to #105188)

HJ, is it when you are running the trolling motor that it is going blank? You may have some interference if you are running them from the same battery, and all the stuff that causes interference happens.(I am not good enough at explaining this to get into detail ) Anyway, if your locator isn't going directly to the battery, you may have to connect it directly to the batt. terminals to prevent feedback. Just a thought.
husky_jerk
Posted 4/27/2004 4:48 PM (#105342 - in reply to #105188)

Thanks Joel, the problem happens with no motors running. I may need a new cranking battery although it is fully charged when I check. I am at a loss as the connections look fine and run fine under all circumstances but the one I described.
Gander Mt Guide
Posted 4/28/2004 9:08 AM (#105386 - in reply to #105188)

Husky,

If you have an older Lowrance, especially with the all black power cord, check the connector (that plugs into the unit) end where the cable goes into the connector...sometimes there's a hairline crack that developes. You'll see silver wire if it is. This can short out the unit, especially if you turn it using a Johnny Ray or RAM mount.

Be sure to check all the way around the connector. I had the same problem as you on an X-85, a new power cable fixed it.
husky_jerk
Posted 4/28/2004 5:01 PM (#105415 - in reply to #105188)

Thanks 52,
I ordered a new cable today. We'll see if that solves the problem Sunday.Thanks again to all. hj
crippler
Posted 5/20/2004 10:58 PM (#107291 - in reply to #105188)

i believe it is the connector cable give it a wiggle these units are know to have faulty cords i sell them and the problem comes fron kinking the power line, good luck