Liqualube or Bearing Buddies for hubs
sputterbug
Posted 4/9/2004 7:42 AM (#103464)
Subject: Liqualube or Bearing Buddies for hubs

I'm irritated that my dust caps keep falling off my Vanguard trailer and grease flying everywhere even when I grease the hubs according to the manual or barely add any. Anyone installed the LiquaLube hubs themselves and have any experience they can share?  http://www.liqualube.com Or, I could go with Bearing Buddies and the bra add-ons to contain the problem and get some peace of mind.  Anyone used both and can make some recommendations?  Thanks!

Edited by sputterbug 4/9/2004 7:45 AM
MuskieMedic
Posted 4/10/2004 10:21 AM (#103547 - in reply to #103464)
Subject: RE: Liqualube or Bearing Buddies for hubs

I installed Liqua-Lube hubs three seasons ago and they are really great. The boat pulls better the hubs don't even get warm on a long trip. It's extremely easy to change the fluid. If you know how to repack your regular hubs it's not much harder than that to install the kit. Just make sure you start out with new bearings and cups. I talked to the owner of the company and he told me there are semi's on the road with their kits that have well over 500,000 miles on a single set of bearings, that's quite impressive. Bearing buddies don't even compare, they will still let in water, whereas, the Liqua-Lube system is totally sealed.

Edited by MuskieMedic 4/10/2004 10:21 AM
sputterbug
Posted 4/11/2004 8:46 PM (#103684 - in reply to #103464)

Thanks for the response, MM. I think I'll try the LiquaLube hubs. I've never repacked hubs or anything (first boat), but from looking over the installation instructions, I think I can manage it. The worst that can happen is I'll have a two-ton doorstop for the garage

I knew it made sense to change the bearings when doing this, but are there any differences in brands or are they pretty much the same? Just wasn't sure if I should care about that...
sworrall
Posted 4/12/2004 2:56 PM (#103777 - in reply to #103684)

Liqua Lube makes a great system. They work exactly as advertised.
MuskieMedic
Posted 4/23/2004 12:25 PM (#104927 - in reply to #103464)

Not too many bearing companies to chose from. I would go to a boat dealer or a trailer place. Make sure you clean out the hub VERY well before putting the new bearings in. Heating the hub will help get the cups out and freezing the new one will make it a cinch to put them in.
sputterbug
Posted 4/23/2004 2:42 PM (#104932 - in reply to #103464)

Thanks for the tips, Medic! Got the LiquaLubes yesterday and I'll be trying to tackle that job soon
sputterbug
Posted 5/12/2004 8:05 AM (#106514 - in reply to #103464)

Installed Liqualubes on my trailer and my brother's. So far so good... 4 hour round trip to the Cave and back showed no problems. Very cool and no more flying grease. I was a total newbie and had never even changed bearings/cups before but with a little planning this was a managable job. Thanks for the endorsement and tips Medic. I'm real happy with these. Heading out today for Webster so I'll be putting some road time on them without worrying about my wheels for a change.
MuskieMedic
Posted 5/14/2004 2:24 AM (#106731 - in reply to #103464)

Glad to hear everything went ok, those bearings should be good for the life of the trailer.