South Dakota Muskie?
kscatman76
Posted 10/8/2026 6:40 AM (#1038095)
Subject: South Dakota Muskie?




Posts: 16


I will be in South Dakota for work coming up and would like to try for some Muskies. Is Island lake worth my time? How about 81 ponds? I’ll either be from the bank or in a small plastic boat.
bloatlord
Posted 10/8/2026 12:03 PM (#1038098 - in reply to #1038095)
Subject: Re: South Dakota Muskie?




Posts: 184


Island Lake is dog#*#*. A few harsh winters, lower water levels.... it's not good. 81 Ponds is great. As you have a smaller boat capable of using an access in bad shape, I'd recommend there. Remember: this is less a lake more than a series on interconnected sloughs. Be careful in those connecting areas.
kscatman76
Posted 10/8/2026 12:51 PM (#1038100 - in reply to #1038098)
Subject: Re: South Dakota Muskie?




Posts: 16


My little plastic boat only has a trolling motor. I stopped there (81) last year and the water was disgusting looking and no idea how anyone could launch there. Is there still muskie in there?
bloatlord
Posted 10/8/2026 1:22 PM (#1038102 - in reply to #1038100)
Subject: Re: South Dakota Muskie?




Posts: 184


The water at the launch is atrocious, yes. Get away from it into the basins and you are fine.