Any Recent Eagle Lake Reports
redskeet100
Posted 8/21/2024 2:36 PM (#1030402)
Subject: Any Recent Eagle Lake Reports

Heading up to Eagle this weekend. Staying at North Shore, anybody been up recently and how was the fishing? Anything specific work for you?
willev
Posted 8/22/2024 7:10 AM (#1030407 - in reply to #1030402)
Subject: RE: Any Recent Eagle Lake Reports

https://www.musky360.com/home/c/0/i/82217481/canada-musky-report-aug...

willev
Posted 8/29/2024 2:26 PM (#1030547 - in reply to #1030402)
Subject: RE: Any Recent Eagle Lake Reports

How did you end up doing? I am going up to Eagle 9/10-9/17
Still Casting
Posted 8/30/2024 11:43 AM (#1030576 - in reply to #1030402)
Subject: Re: Any Recent Eagle Lake Reports

Willev

Where are you staying, we are going up the 14th to the 21st, staying at North Shore Lodge.
willev
Posted 8/30/2024 12:33 PM (#1030578 - in reply to #1030576)

Staying at Eagle Lake Island Lodge. This will be our second trip to Canada (2 father/son duos). Last year fished Vermillion Bay and Portage Bay and it was very tough. The weather wasn't stable, and just couldn't establish a pattern. Ended up with only 2 muskies (42, ~30) even with 2 guided days. So looking for all the help we can get haha
muskyaddicts
Posted 8/30/2024 9:47 PM (#1030588 - in reply to #1030402)

I'm curious on reports as well and keeping a keen eye on things. My dad and I will be heading up to Temple Bay lodge the 11-15. We are retracing a trip my grandpa used to take us on each August, and these trips are what truly got me addicted to musky fishing. It's been 15 years since we've fished Eagle lake, and while there are some things about it that are vivid in my mind, many of them aren't as clear anymore.

I'm very curious where water temps are at right now and overall how the "summer patterns" went. I'll be bringing the kitchen sink as far as options go with lures, and we do have a guide booked the first day so that should help cut the curve and get us aimed in the right direction. Overall I'm hoping for solid stable weather, but we don't get to pick how that goes, just got to wait and see.

Something that I love about bigger fishing trips is all of the prep work and scouting, putting a plan together and then seeing how things work out.

Any info on what's going on out there would be really appreciated. And for those fishing around the same time I'll be up there feel free to message me.

Edited by muskyaddicts 8/30/2024 9:48 PM
redskeet100
Posted 9/1/2024 9:49 AM (#1030604 - in reply to #1030402)

Well fishing was pretty tough. High winds, dropping temps, rain and tstorms, you name it and it happened. Apparently the previous 2 weeks were so tough that you could barely raise a fish yet alone catch one. This week followed suit. We raised 20, caught one, and 10 of those we saw in 1 day, so we averaged seeing 2 fish per day outside of that day. The pike were difficult to find if you can believe that. It seemed you had to be on the main lake wind blown side of islands and points to see fish. The main lake reefs didn't seem to show any fish. It was one of those weeks where they would follow, and when you started the figure 8 they for the most part just mosied on past and were never to be seen again. Good luck to those going in the upcoming weeks, it has to turn around at some point, so maybe you guys will time it just right.
muskyaddicts
Posted 9/1/2024 2:54 PM (#1030607 - in reply to #1030604)

Thanks for the report Red. Sorry to hear the action was so difficult for you guys. I had seen weather rolling through up that way and it made me wonder. I imagine that dropped water temps a bit with cool air and rain.

I appreciate you sharing how things went, hopefully you have more musky things planned yet this year and can get some revenge.
Natureboy
Posted 9/3/2024 3:05 AM (#1030627 - in reply to #1030402)

We are heading up to Eagle next week, another 2 father and son duos. Heard fishing has been tough, which is typical Eagle in my opinion and experience. Stayed at temple last couple of years, but back to the main basin and staying at North Shore with Scotty for the first time. Looking forward to it like always. Wouldn't mind meeting up or keeping up with someone from the forum while we are there and sharing stories and tactics! Good luck to those that are up north and to those that will be!
Ricky
muskyaddicts
Posted 9/7/2024 6:09 AM (#1030700 - in reply to #1030627)

I sent you a message.
sworrall
Posted 9/12/2024 5:21 PM (#1030779 - in reply to #1030402)

Danny Herbeck and Calix Kalka have been slapping them around out of Andy Myers Lodge.
https://www.facebook.com/AndyMyersLodge/
muskyaddicts
Posted 9/16/2024 8:51 PM (#1030838 - in reply to #1030402)

Following up here to share our results.

We were up Sep 11-15 and stayed in Temple Bay, we focused our time and energy fishing the "middle" section of eagle.

Overall fishing was what i would consider slow, with spurts of activity. We managed to get one musky in the boat, with a few bites that didn't get hooks, and numerous follows that were anywhere from low and slow to hot and reckless. I had a big main lake fish swing and miss on my minnesota mule boatside that is going to haunt me for a while. A great memory nonetheless.

We found that fish were both on rocks, and in weeds. Action windows were small, with long periods in between activity.

As always, Eagle lake is an amazing place to fish regardless, it showed us some very impressive fish, and we did get a musky in the boat with some solid bonus pike which were fun. I'll be back there, and looking forward to it next year.
North of 8
Posted 9/17/2024 8:47 AM (#1030842 - in reply to #1030838)

I don't know if I will get the chance to fish Eagle again, but one question I had for those that go there regularly is if you ever fish the humps that hold walleyes for musky?
One of the guys I fished walleyes with had a really nice musky grab his walleye in about 15-18 feet of water and hang on for about 5 minutes before letting go. They said every year for the last ten they have had something like that happen while fishing for walleye.
The day I spent with a guide, we fished wind blown reefs, rocky points, and a little time along weeds. Put two in the boat and moved other fish, so it was working but I did wonder if maybe working a Bondy bait while the other guys were jigging for walleye might be something to try.
chuckski
Posted 9/17/2024 9:32 AM (#1030844 - in reply to #1030402)

I've never fished Eagle but on our Canadian Muskie trips we fished two boats each with two guys then a couple times during the week all four of us would stop and fish in one boat to get some Walleyes for dinner and few times we had muskies grab our Walleyes. We never landed any as they would let go before I could get a net on them. (we always kept the muskie net in the boat)
muskyaddicts
Posted 9/17/2024 12:55 PM (#1030849 - in reply to #1030842)

I think it would be worth doing. It is common knowledge at Temple Bay Lodge and well known that many of the biggest fish every year in their lodge are contacted while walleye fishing reefs and main lake humps. In fact the biggest boated this year at their lodge is a 54" that was caught on a jig and minnow.

Yes of course there are other quality fish being taken fishing muskies in traditional ways but it is definitely believed they will follow walleye around, and why wouldn't they? The walleye are following their food base, right?

I think something I've come to determine with numerous conversations and experiences regarding eagle lake Ontario, and probably more broadly - is that when you are fishing main lake structure (reefs, rocks, humps, weeds directly relating to main lake basin) you are putting yourself in a position to contact bigger fish, at the sacrifice of potentially contacting less fish. There are obviously exceptions to any rule, and i'm certain there are exceptions to my conclusion, but it seems like common knowledge among those that are fishing the lake regularly.

That being said, we DID contact an absolute brute in weeds. But we contacted multiple 50" class fish and overall a larger size quality on rocks and reefs (that were related to large basins).

Edited by muskyaddicts 9/17/2024 2:23 PM