Tuning top water lures.
chuckski
Posted 8/10/2024 12:51 PM (#1030195)
Subject: Tuning top water lures.

I have a regular sized Hawg Wobbler that don't have the same a action as my Husky, and also have two babies that don't have the same action.
And in one of my many books I had a article on how to tune a Creeper and I can't find it. Any tips on how to get lures in fish catching shape would appreciated.
On the Creepers it has to do with the angle of the wings.
jdsplasher
Posted 8/10/2024 5:57 PM (#1030197 - in reply to #1030195)
Subject: RE: Tuning top water lures.

chuckski - 8/10/2024 12:51 PM I have a regular sized Hawg Wobbler that don't have the same a action as my Husky, and also have two babies that don't have the same action. And in one of my many books I had an article on how to tune a Creeper and I can't find it. Any tips on how to get lures in fish catching shape would appreciated. On the Creepers it has to do with the angle of the wings.

u have to understand, the different sizes of hogs all have different lip blades, diameter woods, screw eyes, hooks, ect…Each size is going to have its own Sonics, and running action.

Pushing lip down forces you a slower turn of reel, where raising lip allows you to speed up. You can tweak the center screw eyes for a tighter or looser whip. Also can tweak that rear prop tips to spit a bit.

For me, I only use the magnums. They are an amazing fish caller. Tweaking that front lip is huge in presentation. Also tweaking the screw eyes and prop makes this baits Sonics amazing. Along with rattle angles with different sounding rattles that click a different sonic every pivot can set this bait off.

Spend some time tuning these wobblers, it can be a fish magnet. I dumped all my smaller models.

Tuning creepers all depends on who built them and learning how to tune them. It’s more bait specific whether it’s jointed or straight, spreaders or straight hook placement, and all wings seem to be stamped differently.

JD

southern comfort
Posted 8/19/2024 10:36 AM (#1030359 - in reply to #1030195)
Subject: Re: Tuning top water lures.

I have both regular and magnum hawg wobblers. I prefer the magnum but use both. I like to unscrew a couple of turns between the jointed bodies as it adds noise and wiggle to the retrieve. Each creeper seems different and tuning the wings is lure specific.