Hole in my net.
North of 8
Posted 9/22/2021 1:25 PM (#994989)
Subject: Hole in my net.

Yesterday, caught a nice fish. Everything seemed to go just right. I saw that it was barely hooked but kept it pinned while it made several runs after getting almost to the boat. Lure popped out right after I got it in the net, so no need for the pliers. Secured the net to a cleat, just below the hoop. First fish over 40 since I bought a new bump board this summer, so was going to use it for the first time. Wet the board, slipped on a glove and went to lift the net. Only the fish was gone. In the bottom of the net (Frabill big game with the heavy net) there was a hole where several strands of the netting had broken. Had to have been a tight fit, heavy slime all around the hole.

While a little disappointed I didn't get to try out the new bump board, mainly was trying to figure out what could have caused the hole. Net is on it's third season, nothing it the boat that could have cut it where I keep it. When I went to the Musky Shop this morning to get a replacement, guy who waited on me just shook his head, said he wondered it there was some defect but had not heard of any problem. Any ideas?
IAJustin
Posted 9/22/2021 1:56 PM (#994990 - in reply to #994989)
Subject: Re: Hole in my net.

lots of ideas..ha!!! But at only three years old you shouldn't have an issue. First thought was...How often do you cut hooks? I know one time I accidentally cut my big kahuna (not all the way but enough to be concerned) so I zip tied it just to add peace of mind.
North of 8
Posted 9/22/2021 2:22 PM (#994991 - in reply to #994990)

IAJustin - 9/22/2021 1:56 PM

lots of ideas..ha!!! But at only three years old you shouldn't have an issue. First thought was...How often do you cut hooks? I know one time I accidentally cut my big kahuna (not all the way but enough to be concerned) so I zip tied it just to add peace of mind.

I cut hooks from time to time, quickly if I think the fish is in trouble. But this was right down at the very bottom of the net and I don't ever remember getting anywhere near the net when cutting. That would certainly do it though. When I discovered the hole, I cut several pieces of parachute cord I had on board to patch it and used the hook cutter to do that.
TCESOX
Posted 9/22/2021 4:34 PM (#994994 - in reply to #994989)

The first thing that came to my mind, was rodents. Might you have been visited by mice?
North of 8
Posted 9/22/2021 4:54 PM (#994995 - in reply to #994994)

TCESOX - 9/22/2021 4:34 PM

The first thing that came to my mind, was rodents. Might you have been visited by mice?

Possible, although it is on a lift most of summer and in winter net hangs from a hook in the trusses of my storage garage. There were three loops cut, right at the bottom. I have had other fish in it this year. Maybe it did get chewed on and this fish provided the final straw. Putting a new replacement net on is no fun. Think I will need some ibuprofen for my wrists tonight, lol. The guys at the Musky Shop convinced me to go with the 4580, a lighter weight net. Deeper but lighter overall. That is one busy place, even in the middle of the week and they had a bunch of suckers going out the door.
wisriverrat
Posted 9/22/2021 5:33 PM (#995992 - in reply to #994989)

Delete
CRK925
Posted 9/22/2021 8:10 PM (#996002 - in reply to #994989)

I had the lighter bag on my Frabill Powercatch and had the same experience with a ~42" fish thrashing a hole in the net with its teeth and swimming right through. I upgraded to the much heavier rubber coated Frabill #4666 net and haven't had an issue. The net did add approximately #5 to the front of the net which sucks for 1 man net jobs but I don't worry about holes in the net anymore.